Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/7/2011 1:06:08 AM EDT
Craftsmen tools will be 100% China/Taiwan made in the near future and the change over is taking place right now. I was just on a tool forum and they posted pictures of all the China made ratchets next to the US made ratchets. The entire US made line up is already being made in China, even their Pro Grade tools. I did not believe it so I went down to Sears and checked it out. I found all the nice USA made tools were indeed replace with China made tools. I found several "old" USA made tools behind the newer stocked China stuff so the China crap is already on the shelves. I bought a bunch of the US made Ratchets just to get them and to give to my son when he is older. The newer slim line ratchets and the 84 tooth ratchets are just as nice as my Snap-On ratchets and I have had great service with my Craftsmen tools over the years working in a diesel repair shop.
Very sad to see Craftsmen is now 100% China. If you want a USA Craftsmen tool you better buy them right now! Here is the last of the USA made ratchets I bought:

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up, I will head down to my local Sears stores and look for those "Made in the USA" tools. They are the best. The Chinese stuff doesn't even come close.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder what would happen if you did a side by side comparison. Chicom VS Made in the USA. What would happen if the Chicom won?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Another one bites the dust...

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#4]
WTF?
I'm sure the prices came down accordingly,right?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of the ones at Ace Hardware are U.S. production.

Weller soldering irons are made in Mexico now, though.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
What about Craftsman?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What about Craftsman?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

They are Craftsman.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:44:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wonder what would happen if you did a side by side comparison. Chicom VS Made in the USA. What would happen if the Chicom won?

Just like everything else made in cheena - it might look the same but it is not the same. Things made from Chinese potmetal aren't supposed to work or last for long.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:45:23 AM EDT
[#9]
great now Harbor Freight has competition
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Going to Sears Today now, Thanks

Needs to take back my broken 1/2 ratchet
and I like the looks of that 84 T Long Handle
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Well fuck a duck.

Oh um, Sorry DK.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:03:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WTF?
I'm sure the prices came down accordingly,right?

Not likely.  Years ago I posted a price comparison of Ford models made in America with the Lincolns and Mercurys that were made here.  Not much difference in price and the little difference that did exist was likely due to Lincolns and Mercurys being seen as more of a "luxury" model.

It must be the fault of unions!
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:13:57 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI a lot of current snap-on stuff is also....."global"
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
great now Harbor Freight has competition

Yeah, which means Harbor Freight will raise the price of their throwaway tools in order to remain "competitive",,,

Being "Made in China" doesn't mean "Cheaper" any longer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#15]
snap-on
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:32:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
snap-on

your average weekend warrior has neither the access nor the cash to afford snap on tools.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:35:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

snap-on

Mac, MATCO, ETc.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#18]
unfortunately that is the way of the world now.

Everything is disposable, everything is made in China.   That's great, right up until you need something to actually WORK - or if we are no longer able to resupply through China due to economic changes (which will eventually happen, IMHO).

The problem with Craftsman is that I always bought them largely due to the warranty - I'd occasionally break a ratchet or socket working on cars (the made-in-USA stuff)...  but if that warranty is now backed by even cheaper hecho-in-china crap - which will break even more frequently - then why buy Craftsman?

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Husky going to stay?I guess it's not likely,and they don't make the same scope of tools anyways.WTF,I didn't need to buy a freaking torque wrench this week.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#20]
IMO, the Ratchets on the top left have been junk for a long time. I had one that I bought back in early to mid 90's and it was excellent. I eventually wore it out, so I traded it in at Sears a few years back. The one I got is junk. The professional ones are pretty good though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:43:31 AM EDT
[#21]
this is typical for our country really.

we want the cheapest prices for stuff
and when faced with "buy USA!" or spending less, many of us pick the cheaper solution.

Then we wonder why our jobs are going overseas.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Older craftsmen stuff was significantly better than even the US made junk they sell now. I swear their 1/4" drive ratchet has six, maybe seven ratchet detents in 360 degrees of rotation...

I had an older ~1970s craftsmen 1/4 drive ratchet that was very evenly matched to a current-gen snap-on. Lots of ratchet detents, so you didn need a lot of room to swing it, comfortable form factor, small, round ratchet head. It walked away, one night, despite being painted hot pink.

The new craftsmen tools are junk, regardless of where they're made.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:45:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Older craftsmen stuff was significantly better than even the US made junk they sell now. I swear their 1/4" drive ratchet has six, maybe seven ratchet detents in 360 degrees of rotation...

I had an older ~1970s craftsmen 1/4 drive ratchet that was very evenly matched to a current-gen snap-on. Lots of ratchet detents, so you didn need a lot of room to swing it, comfortable form factor, small, round ratchet head. It walked away, one night, despite being painted hot pink.

The new craftsmen tools are junk, regardless of where they're made.

AGREED

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:46:49 AM EDT
[#25]
It's amazing how China is not capable of making anything that is of the same quality as being made in America.

Oh wait, they are.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:57:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Damn shame.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Go on ebay and get the older C-Man stuff, 70s and earlier. Or get the older Blue Point stuff, both are excellent.

FWIW some of the Snap On line is made in China now too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Well I hope those Chinese tools will fit just as well as The U.S. made ones... up their ass!  'Cause I ain't buying them anymore!
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:12:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:13:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Maybe this is why they gave me such a hassle when trying to swap out a rachet. I was working on my car when my rachet broke, went to my local sears to swap out, never a problem in the past, lady says sorry we will have to send your in for a new one. I was standing there like.... OK. Thank god the manager was right there, he said are you in the middle of a project, "yes actually I am" "ok, hold on". Went got me a new one and left the store.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:16:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Craftsman lost their good name long before this happened.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:20:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Unless you don't use them I don't think you'll be handing down those ratchets.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:27:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, that sux! If you want to buy American-made tools, you should consider:

http://www.wrighttool.com/index.asp
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It's amazing how China is not capable of making anything that is of the same quality as being made in America.

Oh wait, they are.

this is important because the quality is improving continually. most of the time, it's not like they set out to make bad stuff. they are going to keep getting better and better at it. and as long as their labor force is willing to work for pennies, the goods will remain cheap. it will be even harder for us companies to compete - as well as high end european brands.

i used to be a huge "buy american" guy, but the truth is that much of the current "made in usa" is nothing like the "made in usa" of forty years ago. it's just not been as bad as the chinese crap. things are changing.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:39:57 AM EDT
[#35]
You know everyone bitches about buying chinese made stuff because it's cheaper.

Yea it is cheaper and as a weekend warrior working on my car with three kids and one ready for college whos income went down last year because I was unemployed and had to take a job making less money. I also have all my other expenses go up, like health care, thanks to obummer, and inflation. my budget does not call for buying superior more expensive USA made tools.

So my options are

Not buy anything because I cannot afford the good US made stuff and not contribute to the economy
Or buy cheap to get the jobs done and help the US economy a little bit.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:47:24 AM EDT
[#36]
thanks for the heads up.

my view is that if they are all going to be made in China now, I won't even buy any of the USA made stuff left on the shelf, because if i ever need it replaced under warranty, all I am going to get in return is the same wrench made in China

I already have several USA made Crafstman tools that I hope never need warranted

I think some Kobalt tools are made here
people have been saying Sears is a dinosaur dying s slow death. maybe they will all just go out of business

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Buy Germania.

They are strong! *bangs on desk*
They have the exports the English and French could only dream of!
Let the Amerikaner have their cheap Bolshevik-Chinese crap!
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Oh wait, they are.
The tools are quite capable WHEN THEY ARE NEW, use them a few years, and then come back tell how well they work. Many times the tools are substandard to the comparable USA-made one because of poor metallurgy or heat treatment.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oh wait, they are.

Sure they can, but unless you stand over them to ensure they are making products to spec for US market, they will take shortcuts.

There are literally hundreds of examples of faulty products coming from china because quality control is a joke to them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh wait, they are.

this is important because the quality is improving continually. most of the time, it's not like they set out to make bad stuff. they are going to keep getting better and better at it. and as long as their labor force is willing to work for pennies, the goods will remain cheap. it will be even harder for us companies to compete - as well as high end european brands.

i used to be a huge "buy american" guy, but the truth is that much of the current "made in usa" is nothing like the "made in usa" of forty years ago. it's just not been as bad as the chinese crap. things are changing.

The part in red, is especially true for cars/trucks.

Why buy an American made vehicle for twice the price and the same or less quality?

Shit, many of the 'foreign' car companies have factories right here in the good ole USA employing good ole US Americans.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Do they still have a lifetime warranty?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:05:58 AM EDT
[#42]
lots love the Norinco 1911s.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:11:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This

I have Craftsman tools dating back to when my dad was a teenager. Made in the USA and tough. Still look like new. I go out of my way to but US tools. Older Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac., Etc. Buy once, cry once, have a tool for the rest of your life and into your grandkids.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:23:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I have Craftsman tools dating back to when my dad was a teenager. Made in the USA and tough. Still look like new. I go out of my way to but US tools. Older Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac., Etc. Buy once, cry once, have a tool for the rest of your life and into your grandkids.

Sucks you gotta go dig through a Pawn Shop to find those old Made in the USA tools
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I can remember when I was a little guy riding to Sears to take back my dads broken tools. No questions asked, just here ya go. THAT was customer service.

I could also ride down to the gas station at 8 years old and buy him a pack of smokes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:32:53 AM EDT
[#46]

I seriously doubt it. China makes total crap when it comes to wrenches. If I run across one in our shop I will throw it out before it causes a bigger problem-as they have in the past.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:46:27 AM EDT
[#48]
A 3/8" ratchet purchased in 1982 crapped on me this year.  went to Sears for a replacement and they gave me a choice from rebuilts.... and yes I had to give them my old ratchet... probably to be rebuilt.  Sears also noted if their was any serialized marks on my ratchet (i engraved them against theft in 82) and they looked for but didn't see my "marks".  

Noted their EVO stuff is made in Taiwan now.

PS: and you should see all the folks in Harbor Freight Tools yesterday.... i just picked up two Daisy (ie BB Gun manufacturer) slingshots for the kids ages 10 and 9 for Xmas @ $6 each.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Printing and inflating money, what did you expect?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#50]
I heard on the radio last week Sears would be folding in the next few months.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top