Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Three and five years seem to be the break points, based on leases.  I buy "old" cars around 8-9 years old.  They are almost free but still work great.  My loaded 1995 Suburban was just over $6k.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't understand it myself.  I can't understand why people are willing to pay $20K + for a 4 or 5 year old vehicle with 100K + miles on the odometer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
People look for that new 2U car""FEELING"",as you see its expensive. After my first NEW car in 85 when I was young, single, lotta cash, and stupid they've all been at least 5 years old for cash.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Vanity...  Many see vehicles as fashion, and we wouldn't want to be out of date, now would we?  We are a luxury culture, and that provides for an interesting behavioral trait.  The people most concerned with an outward appearance of means are those who are least likely to have it.  The auto makers and their financing divisions are simply providing an outlet for this need.  It's not their fault any more than McDonalds is at fault for making people fat.  

I have never purchased a new car, however I won't be a hypocrite and say it will never happen.  Having a decent vehicle(s) is important to me, but having a new one is not.  If a reasonable standard of appearance and reliability can be kept up on an older model, GREAT!!!  If having a new car is important to my friends, I don't say that they are stupid, as it's often just one of their guilty pleasures.  The money I don't spend on cars goes to other things.  I often throw it back on them when they question how I have money to do the things I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top