Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:53:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 8:54:26 AM EDT by ArmdLbrl]
Who here remembers the fourth of July 2002 attack at the El Al Counter at LAX? That the FBI would never admit was even a hate crime much less a terrorist attack? Now look at their response THIS time.

Updated: 12:17 PM EST
IM This E-mail This

Was Ex-Student's SUV Attack a Hate Crime?
FBI Joins Crash Investigation on College Campus
By EMERY P. DALESIO, AP

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (March 4) - The FBI has joined the investigation of a recent college graduate who faces attempted murder charges for allegedly injuring bystanders after driving a sport utility vehicle through a popular campus gathering spot.

No one was seriously hurt in the incident at the University of North Carolina on Friday.

The FBI joined the case because 22-year-old Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, a native of Iran, "allegedly made statements that he acted to avenge the American treatment of Muslims," said agent Richard Kolko, an FBI spokesman in Washington. "The ongoing investigation will work to confirm this."

Taheri-azar, who graduated in December after studying psychology and philosophy, was in the custody of campus police. They intended to charge him with attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, said police Capt. George Hare.

Taheri-azar called police to surrender and then awaited officers on a street two miles from campus, authorities said.

Local investigators declined to discuss a motive.

The incident happened just before noon near the center of campus in an area known as The Pit, a sunken, brick-paved area surrounded by two libraries, a dining hall and the student union.

Comments on the Crash

''I see everyone kind of part because there's a car coming through, and the next thing I know, I'm on his windshield.''

-- Sophomore Jeff Hoffman, explaining the accident to the campus newspaper

1/3
Source: AP

"I see everyone kind of part because there's a car coming through, and the next thing I know, I'm on his windshield," sophomore Jeff Hoffman, his arm in a bandage, told The Daily Tar Heel, the campus newspaper.

The Pit is a center of campus activities, with students perched along walkways and steps. Friday's noontime crowd included candidates for Black Student Movement elections.

"He slowly came in, and I thought he was going to stop or something," sophomore Scott Wilson, a candidate, told the newspaper. "But then he sped right through."

Five students and a visiting scholar were treated for minor injuries and released from UNC Hospitals, the university said in a statement. Three other people declined treatment at the scene, police said.

A bomb squad searched Taheri-azar's apartment in nearby Carrboro and declared the building safe. Taheri-azar encouraged authorities to check the apartment after he was arrested.

"He said it almost in a baiting type of way," Carrboro police spokesman Capt. Joel Booker said.

Investigators declined to say what they found in the apartment and continued searching it Friday night for other evidence, Booker said.

03-04-06 03:56 EST

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

QUITE a change no?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:08:57 AM EDT
Waitwaitwait- Whoa. A NON-white person got charged with a hate crime? Is that even possible?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:11:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:
Waitwaitwait- Whoa. A NON-white person got charged with a hate crime? Is that even possible?

possible, but VERY uncommon
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:15:26 PM EDT
Impossible! After it is the ROP, no?????????
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:26:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 12:27:21 PM EDT by The_Macallan]
Reminds me of the "non-lone-terrorist" attack that occured just a couple miles from my house - www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=13&t=219175

Move along folks, nothing to see here. There are no Muslim terrorists in this country trying to kill you. Go back to sleep....
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:15:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmdLbrl:
...QUITE a change no?

To my admittedly vague recollection, it isn’t.

While I remember the FBI saying the LAX incident wasn’t a terrorist attack, I don’t remember them ever saying it wasn’t a hate crime.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:19:09 PM EDT
Yet another person being persecuted for their thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I think he deserved to be gutted with an old rusty knife, but a "hatecrime" is nothing more than additional punishment based upon what one thinks.

The thought police are coming.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:23:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:
Yet another person being persecuted for their thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I think he deserved to be gutted with an old rusty knife, but a "hatecrime" is nothing more than additional punishment based upon what one thinks.

+1

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:49:15 PM EDT

I used to think that way until someone explained to me that the "hate crime" provision is for a perp chosing their victim merely because of their race, i.e. going out of their way to attack a fill-in-the-blank over a different race.

This other version makes more sense, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:55:07 PM EDT
This guy was smiling as he was arrested. He deserves whatever he gets.

Bastard.

Max
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:01:19 PM EDT
Just a little side humor, I thought it was a hoot that he shares his first two names with Palavi.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:12:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

I used to think that way until someone explained to me that the "hate crime" provision is for a perp chosing their victim merely because of their race, i.e. going out of their way to attack a fill-in-the-blank over a different race.

This other version makes more sense, IMO.

IIRC, you and I have gone over this before. I think it's safe to say at this point we are both deeply entrenched in our own, differing views of the subject. I wouldn't have it any other way. The freedom to make a decision is a wonderful freedom that we in this country possess.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:16:59 AM EDT
he'll be out on bail in 6 weeks
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:43:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 4:44:23 AM EDT by ABNAK]
Forget that "hate crime" bullshit. Never did agree with that. It's TERRORISM, pure and simple. He tried to cause mass casualties of innocent people in the name of his fucked up religion.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:10:52 AM EDT
Really? A hate crime?

I thought the reason he was trying to crush people to death with his VEHICLE was because he liked them.....

NEWSFLASH: NOBODY TRIES TO MASS MURDER OUT OF A MOTIVATION OF LOVE AND TOLERANCE.

THUS "HATE CRIME" LEGISLATION IS DUMBER THAN HELL.

EXECUTE THE F*CKER AND BE DONE WITH IT.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:17:19 AM EDT
Act of Terrorism. Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:17:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
Really? A hate crime?

I thought the reason he was trying to crush people to death with his VEHICLE was because he liked them.....

NEWSFLASH: NOBODY TRIES TO MASS MURDER OUT OF A MOTIVATION OF LOVE AND TOLERANCE.

THUS "HATE CRIME" LEGISLATION IS DUMBER THAN HELL.

EXECUTE THE F*CKER AND BE DONE WITH IT.

Here is one that I can +1

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:19:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
Really? A hate crime?

That is correct. He liked them, and cared about them, so he was assisting them on their path to Allah. Just because you don't understand peace, doesn't mean you should persecute people for their beliefs when they are trying to help others.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:32:31 AM EDT

Theoretically it could be possible, but I doubt it would ever be.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:45:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By efpeter:

Theoretically it could be possible, but I doubt it would ever be.

I guess you haven't checked out California's hate crimes statistics....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:24:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Billybob2002:

I guess you haven't checked out California's hate crimes statistics....

You mean this where I don't see mentioned the race/gender/religion/etc of the accused in any of the tables

It is besides the point, we all know the SUV was responsbile
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:57:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By efpeter:
That is correct. He liked them, and cared about them, so he was assisting them on their path to Allah. Just because you don't understand peace, doesn't mean you should persecute people for their beliefs when they are trying to help others.

Wow. I never thought about it that way.

I am gonna go have myself a good cry now for being such an intolerant person.
Top Top