Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:46:22 PM EDT

The theory and experiment is eerily descriptive of the IDF/gravity generator setup used in Federation starships (www.lcarscom.net/ags.htm and www.lcarscom.net/ids.htm)

www.esa.int/SPECIALS/GSP/SEM0L6OVGJE_0.html

Towards a new test of general relativity?

23 March 2006

Scientists funded by the European Space Agency have measured the gravitational equivalent of a magnetic field for the first time in a laboratory. Under certain special conditions the effect is much larger than expected from general relativity and could help physicists to make a significant step towards the long-sought-after quantum theory of gravity.

Just as a moving electrical charge creates a magnetic field, so a moving mass generates a gravitomagnetic field. According to Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, the effect is virtually negligible. However, Martin Tajmar, ARC Seibersdorf Research GmbH, Austria; Clovis de Matos, ESA-HQ, Paris; and colleagues have measured the effect in a laboratory.

Their experiment involves a ring of superconducting material rotating up to 6 500 times a minute. Superconductors are special materials that lose all electrical resistance at a certain temperature. Spinning superconductors produce a weak magnetic field, the so-called London moment. The new experiment tests a conjecture by Tajmar and de Matos that explains the difference between high-precision mass measurements of Cooper-pairs (the current carriers in superconductors) and their prediction via quantum theory. They have discovered that this anomaly could be explained by the appearance of a gravitomagnetic field in the spinning superconductor (This effect has been named the Gravitomagnetic London Moment by analogy with its magnetic counterpart).

Small acceleration sensors placed at different locations close to the spinning superconductor, which has to be accelerated for the effect to be noticeable, recorded an acceleration field outside the superconductor that appears to be produced by gravitomagnetism. "This experiment is the gravitational analogue of Faraday's electromagnetic induction experiment in 1831.

It demonstrates that a superconductive gyroscope is capable of generating a powerful gravitomagnetic field, and is therefore the gravitational counterpart of the magnetic coil. Depending on further confirmation, this effect could form the basis for a new technological domain, which would have numerous applications in space and other high-tech sectors" says de Matos. Although just 100 millionths of the acceleration due to the Earth’s gravitational field, the measured field is a surprising one hundred million trillion times larger than Einstein’s General Relativity predicts. Initially, the researchers were reluctant to believe their own results.

"We ran more than 250 experiments, improved the facility over 3 years and discussed the validity of the results for 8 months before making this announcement. Now we are confident about the measurement," says Tajmar, who performed the experiments and hopes that other physicists will conduct their own versions of the experiment in order to verify the findings and rule out a facility induced effect.

In parallel to the experimental evaluation of their conjecture, Tajmar and de Matos also looked for a more refined theoretical model of the Gravitomagnetic London Moment. They took their inspiration from superconductivity. The electromagnetic properties of superconductors are explained in quantum theory by assuming that force-carrying particles, known as photons, gain mass. By allowing force-carrying gravitational particles, known as the gravitons, to become heavier, they found that the unexpectedly large gravitomagnetic force could be modelled.

"If confirmed, this would be a major breakthrough," says Tajmar, "it opens up a new means of investigating general relativity and it consequences in the quantum world."

The results were presented at a one-day conference at ESA's European Space and Technology Research Centre (ESTEC), in the Netherlands, 21 March 2006. Two papers detailing the work are now being considered for publication. The papers can be accessed on-line at the Los Alamos pre-print server using the references: gr-qc/0603033 and gr-qc/0603032.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh.  Let me know when the holodeck is ready.  

"Uhura, set the holodeck to "Russ Meyer film" and hold my calls."
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
cliffs please for all the dullards like myself
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Anti-grav lift capabilities would be a good replacement for the space shuttle...  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anti-grav lift capabilities would be a good replacement for the space shuttle...  

I dont think it could be strong enough to fight the earths grav pull, that would take alot of power.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
ALRIGHT! One step closer to creating artificial gravity
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Only so long as you can push against a gravity field. Kind of like using like-charged magnets to repel each other and make a magnet hover in the air- it only works so long as you have something to repel it.

I'm thinking anti-gravity would be more useful in making hovercraft or as a lift-off device, like the repulsors in Star Wars- use repulsors to get off the ground, then kick in the main engines once you're at a safe altitude.

As for artificial gravity, it would be useful in spacecraft and space stations designed for long-term use, but in something like the shuttle or missions only lasting a couple weeks, why bother going to all the expense and effort?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag, really interesting.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A truly good holodeck along the lines of the startrek holodeck would be the end of mankind as we know it.  WOOT FOR HOLODECK SEX!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A truly good holodeck along the lines of the startrek holodeck would be the end of mankind as we know it.  WOOT FOR HOLODECK SEX!

I dunno about that... Would you want to be the guy to clean up all the Spok left behind?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Damn, that is almost exactly the description of the gravity generators in my Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual that I bought in about 1991.

Rotating ring of superconducting material.  Hmm...

Jim
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The theory and experiment is eerily descriptive of the IDF/gravity generator setup used in Federation starships (www.lcarscom.net/ags.htm and
23 March 2006

<Snip> "If confirmed, this would be a major breakthrough," says Tajmar, "it opens up a new means of investigating general relativity and it consequences in the quantum world." <Snip>

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Damn, that is almost exactly the description of the gravity generators in my Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual that I bought in about 1991.

Jim

Thats because most of the Science "Fiction" in Star Trek is based on science fact
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#14]
This is pretty interesting. This gravity effect has been reported before more than once. Podklentov reported it in the 90's and disappeared. And the general effect is predicted by the Heim-Dorchester theory.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Frame Dragging..

Einstein spent his life trying to come up with a Gauge Theory that links the Gravitational Force with the Electromagnetic Force.

It was postulated in Relativity that not only Mass can warp Spacetime but so could Energy. Since an Magnetic Field lies entirely outside of a superconductor (Meisner Effect) it appears from this article that a Magnetic Field may warp spacetime somewhat.

In Physics there are only 2 Long Range Forces: Gravitation and the Electromagnetic Force.
(There are also 2 Short Range "Nuclear" Forces: the Weak Force and the Strong Force).

160 years ago, Physicists thought that the Magnetic Force and the Electric Force were two seperate forces, until James Clerk Maxwell came along and demonstrated (Maxwells Equations) that the Magnetic Force is merely another manifestation of the Electric Force.

One of the Holy Grails in Physics is to come up with a theory linking all of the Fundamental Forces in Nature. To a large extent they've come up with theories that link all of the fundamental forces (except Gravity).

Back to the original Article, the fact that the Physicists are obtaining results that are stronger than predicted by Relavity demonstrates that either Relativity will have to be modified or a new theory will have to be created.  

This appears to be analogous to the precession of Mercury's Orbit, in which Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation was unable to account for it (2 Arc Seconds/ century), until Albert Einstein (with lots of help from his Friend: Marcel Grossman) formulated the theory of General Relativity and successfully accounted for Mercury's Orbital Precession.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

Thats because most of the Science "Fiction" in Star Trek is based on science fact

Oh, PLEASE. Star Trek only bases its technobabble on enough science that it sounds impressive to the casual viewer. It's like watching CSI: Miami (especially the RPG episode) and claiming that it's based on real science and military/police experience.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

Umm no. ST likes to look like it's based on science fact  with all it's rules and formulas but has to break the rules because they simply do not work.

Take warp travel. It's not fast enough to get any where in a reasonable amount of time for the majoirty of non military ships  
For the warp formula and calculator see Daystrom Institute

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top