Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 11:26:00 PM EDT
I already knew that they were awesome, but I couldn't believe this one. I got an "automobile insurance dividend" today, a check for $51!

Apparently they take my premiums, like most companies, and invest a portion of them. Well, they basically said "we don't really need this $51 you gave us because we're in good shape...here you go."

That's awesome. How many insurance companies do that? It's like Bush's tax rebate, but I actually got some real $$!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I have USAA insurance, and they are very impressive.

I would go with them just because their premiums are lower than so-called discount insurers like Geico.  But yeah, there's the dividend, and they saved me an assload of money when I needed to rent a car when I was 24.

As you know, you CAN rent a car when you're under 24, they just charge a lot more.  But USAA is affiliated with Alamo, and if you're insured with them, you can rent at 25+ rates.  I totally loved them after that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
USAA does, in fact, ROCK!!!  One time years ago, my wife somehow got us "off-cycle" on our bill, and I continued to pay each month not knowing each payment was in fact "last months" payment.  Of course, after a while, I got the "we're cancelling you as of now if ya don't have money wired to us by 1700 YESTERDAY" letter.  Well, I got it taken care of, but had a HUGE yell-fest that night!  Had to explain that there are some things in life we DON'T EVER want to lose, and our USAA was one of them!  I took over bills shortly thereafter, btw.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
USAA Sucks big time for home insurance.  We had a big hail storm with damaged siding...it's amazing, every house on both sides of the street got new siding due to the damage.  Amazingly, the insurance gods laid over our house and protected it from damage...at least that's what USAA claims.  They even have a skank who is a PhD expert on determining the age of dents in siding.  

There is a class action suite against USAA in this area, they pulled this same crap on anyone who put in a claim...and when they did see a little damage, they would replace one side of a house (that'll sure match) or paint the siding.

Bad news, bad people and bad faith.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Had USAA for 25 years, great except for their motorcycle coverage.

Way higher than the nearest companies, and no discounts, at least none here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had USAA for 12 years now and they kick ass. The dividend checks have been great. One year was $454. Of the three accidents, two me, one wife, the claims people were great. Quick, courteous, no hassles and got to the bottom of everthing, including an exhaustive search via phone through NYC's 67, 69, 71, and 73 precincts for an accident report that occured on the adjoining borders of said precincts.

I dig 'em.

Sherm
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got to look into USAA.

I just sold one of my two vehicles, and lost my multi-car discount with State Farm on my remaining vehicle:
180 dollar increase on my remaining vehicle.

I'm not real pleased.

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
We've had USAA since the late 80's. Our only claims have been for automobiles and these were handled extemely well compared to experiences with other Insurance companies. Sorry to hear about your home ins. experience Trakehner. We haven't had to do any home ins. claims yet. We did acquire our loan through them for our current house and that deal went really well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#8]
USAA does in fact rock.
I have car insurance, renters insurance, bank account, and credit card through them.
I am about to get some personal article floaters for some of my guns. It is $30 per year for up to a $2000 gun. Covers theft, acts of God, or carelessness(ie. you drop a rifle on the groung and it breaks in half)

When is the last time you guys got divedend checks?
I haven't got one since late 1998.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes...they are the best.

We have been with USAA for twenty years.  I have homeowner's insurance, plus a $1,000,000 umbrella policy on the house to cover any contingencies (We live on a [stocked] pond and I can just see some land shark lawyer suing us because someone's kid drowned in the pond and the body washed up on our property.), our three cars and two trucks (My kids are in on this too!) are insured by them, they are carrying the paper on my truck, and I have a couple of their credit cars around here somewhere.

I think there may be one or two other accounts but I'd have to ask the missus and she's busy right now.  I did terminate my life insurance with them about five years ago because I got a better deal with TROA.

When our Honda was destroyed in an accident about 18 mos ago, USAA did right by us too.  I didn't like the initial amount of the check they were going to send me, I did a bit of on-line research and found the same cars selling in our area for about $1,000 more, I told the USAA rep handling our case, and she adjusted the amount of the check up!  I like that.  Made Momma happy 'cause it put a new I-30 in her garage.  Happy wives make for a peaceful world.

[sex]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
USAA does in fact rock.
I have car insurance, renters insurance, bank account, and credit card through them.
I am about to get some personal article floaters for some of my guns. It is $30 per year for up to a $2000 gun. Covers theft, acts of God, or carelessness(ie. you drop a rifle on the groung and it breaks in half)

When is the last time you guys got divedend checks?
I haven't got one since late 1998.
View Quote

That gun rider sounds like a good idea.  Thanks for the info.

We just got our check.  Not much...but they put out tons of money because of personal losses on 9-11.

[beer]

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
USAA ROCKS!!  Easy to get a hold of, always there.  And those "dividend" checks are SWEET!

Rembember, though, that they ARE an insurance company, so they're mission is to fuck you.  EOM.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#12]
State Farm insurance does this as well. Every year I get a 25-35$ check on my auto policy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
i have had usaa for over 10 years and they truly rock!!!

this year my refund was $117.  two years ago it was $730!!!--38% refund on your premium!!

their mortgage company is the most professional one out there.

if your able to get them do so immediately!  you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Count me in with the "USAA Rocks" contingent.

I have our home, auto and motorcycle insurance with them, a Visa card, and the notes on two cars.  I started with them at 17, with an automotive policy on a POS VW.

I received a $85 check from them the first week in December, and have been recieving them at year-end for the past couple of years.

SF, I don't know what they are telling you about bikes, but I have a '99 Hayabusa and a '99 VFR 800 with all coverage except medical.  I'm 40, married, with a good claims history, but, on the downside, I live in Los Angeles, which more than counteracts anything positive.  My premiums for either one are $210 per 6 months.

Any claims we made were promptly and fairly settled, and they are a pleasure to deal with on policy service.

I have a supplimental coverage for the guns (and computers and jewlery), all of which were covered without comment or hassle.  Without the rider, the policy limits for these items is $1K or $2K, and we exceeded that amount.

BTW, if you are ever in San Antonio, drop by their headquarters.  I was there in '84, and back then, it was a compound - huge grounds and a complex of offices.  I can only imagine what it has grown to today.

If you qualify for membership, by all means, get a quote.  Of all the things in my life, I haven't had to worry about insurance in 23 years...
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#15]
SF, I don't know what they are telling you about bikes, but I have a '99 Hayabusa and a '99 VFR 800 with all coverage except medical.  I'm 40, married, with a good claims history, but, on the downside, I live in Los Angeles, which more than counteracts anything positive.  My premiums for either one are $210 per 6 months.

View Quote

Sean:

Had motorcycle coverage with them since 1985.  Never made a claim, or got a ticket.

I am a 44 yr old active officer, married, have been through the MSC course, own a home, live in a freaking golf course development in Pinehurst, NC, put low mileage on the bikes, own both of them outright, lock the alarmed bikes in the garage every night, ride with the local HOG chapter, clean record (no points, claims or cites), and happen to be the only one in the house riding them (so only one at the time is ever in use).

'93 Harley FLSTF, liability only; '01 FLHR full coverage, but $1000 deductible.  $1200 a year.  Went to GMAC and it dropped to less than $800.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top