Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2001 9:51:19 AM EDT
Is the M1A easy to maintain?  I gather it will be tougher to strip and clean than any of my other rifles or shotguns.  When cleaning, should I just stick to CLP or is there something else I should be aware of???
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
According to the book I read, M1As require the use of grease (tetra grease is good) on the bolt roller, clp alone won't cut it. The gas ports have to be cleaned periodically also. If you have a match gun and it is bedded, removing the action from the stock should be kept to a minimum as it will eventually damage the bedding.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I find my M1A to be easier to clean than my AR15.  Clean the barrel, the chamber, the bolt face and you are pretty much done.  Lube the bolt camming areas with grease once in a while (unless you are shooting in sand, etc.).  The bolt does not get fouled with carbon like the AR does.

You do not need to clean the gas piston/system very often--about every 500 rounds will do.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Scipio - the M1A is very easy to maintain.  As noted, grease is critical for this rifle on such areas as the roller, locking lugs, operating rod, guide and spring.  I highly recommend you get the appropriate military manual.  Sorry, I do not have the reference handy.  Scott Duff's "M14 Owners Guide. . ." is also an excellent resource.  Tetra, Plastilube and Lubriplate are all good.  I have a lifetime supply of plastilube so that is what I use.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
[center]TM 9-1005-223-12

Department Of The Army Technical Manual

Operator And Organizational
Maintenance Manual

7.62-MM Rifle M14 And
Rifle Bipod M2
Headquarters, Department Of The Army
January 1963

[/center]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The M1A can be harder to disassemble than an AR, but overall is much easier to maintain.  Doesn't get anywhere near as dirty, so you only have to field-strip it occasionally.  Much better rifle, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The op rod is a pain in the butt to get off.  I still can't figure the damn thing out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
To remove when the action is in the stock:

Pull op rod back to the opening in the rail (the slot behind the op rod). Pull the op rod down and away from the reciever. Then WHILE HOLDING OP ROD, let op rod move to it's forward position. Tilt the bolt and remove.

With action out of the stock:

Turn action upside down. Find the op rod spring and guide in front of mag well. Push guide retaining pin to the side (moves in one direction only). Remove guide and spring. Pull op rod to the rear and pull down and out of the slot. Then remove the op rod from the op rod guide under the barrel. Tilt the bolt and remove.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top