Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:24:37 PM EDT
The Hellenic Air Force retired their Phantom II SRA's (Southern Region Agreement)

They were delivered from US ANG in 1991 and are fiscal year '67 and '68 machines.

They were "officially" retired on Friday the 16th of December, since they were not reworked to the  Peace Icarus 2000 (F-4E AUP) specs.

"Unofficially" however they will keep flying for several months to come.

This does not mean that all the Phantom II's of the Hellenic Air Force were retired: The Upgraded Peace Icarus 2000s will remain in service at least until 2015, while the RF-4Es will be retired next, around 2009.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The Hellenic Air Force retired their Phantom II SRA's (Southern Region Agreement.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Hellenic Air Force retired their Phantom II SRA's (Southern Region Agreement.

Why for the face?

Never mind....

"When Greece and the United States agreed to sign a new Treaty regarding the US bases in Greece (Southern Region Agreement), as an offset 28 F-4E's were offered to Greece."

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Godawful paint job

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why for the face?

"Hellenic Air Force?"

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Hellenic Air Force retired their Phantom II SRA's (Southern Region Agreement)

OK, I am a college grad, but I will admit that I don't know WHAT THE HELL Air Force you are talking about??????????????????

PS Gotta love those F-4s
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why for the face?

"Hellenic Air Force?"

Πολεμική Αεροπορία - Hellenic Air Force
www.haf.gr/

I didn't name their Air Force.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I am a college grad, but I will admit that I don't know WHAT THE HELL Air Force you are talking about??????????????????

PS Gotta love those F-4s

GREECE.....GOOGLE.......
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I like that paint job.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
How about we just call it what it is..............Greek Air Force?  Agreed?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool piant job .
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
KA3B, are you an American in Russia or are you Russian?

Yes...ski.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]
A buddy of mine from flight training flew those aircraft over there when his ANG unit (Fort Wayne) switched from F-4s to F-16s.  As I recall he had to stand in his ejection seat and take a dump in his helmet bag somewhere over the Med on his last delivery.  You just don't have room for things like that in the newer aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I always understood it to be 'aeroporia ellinikas' (In cyrillic, obviously)

Given my uncle served two years in it, it might be something I might want to clear up. Hmm...

Nice thing about it is they flew a number of the 'planes in something other than Vietnam four-colour scheme. (Some they did). A number were 'Aegean Sea Blue', which really is very blue.

They have A-7s as well. Saw a clip on the web the other day (about 5 minutes long) of a massive live-fire, public ground attack display. A-7s, F-16s, Mirages, F-4s, all hauling bombs, and blowing the crap out of things. I'll see if I can find it again.

ETA: Found them. Bookmark this site. Trust me.

Here's a compilation of Greek F-4s www.patricksaviation.com/videos.php?action=view&id=148

And here is ten minutes of Greek aircraft blowing the crap out of stuff.
www.patricksaviation.com/videos.php?action=view&id=140

NTM
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I always understood it to be 'aeroporia ellinikas' (In cyrillic, obviously)

Given my uncle served two years in it, it might be something I might want to clear up. Hmm...

Nice thing about it is they flew a number of the 'planes in something other than Vietnam four-colour scheme. (Some they did). A number were 'Aegean Sea Blue', which really is very blue.

They have A-7s as well. Saw a clip on the web the other day (about 5 minutes long) of a massive live-fire, public ground attack display. A-7s, F-16s, Mirages, F-4s, all hauling bombs, and blowing the crap out of things. I'll see if I can find it again.

ETA: Found them. Bookmark this site. Trust me.

Here's a compilation of Greek F-4s www.patricksaviation.com/videos.php?action=view&id=148

And here is ten minutes of Greek aircraft blowing the crap out of stuff.
www.patricksaviation.com/videos.php?action=view&id=140

NTM

Being Greek American, I can tell y ou that I'd love to see this live fire exercise... it wasn't held, by any chance, on Turkish soil, was it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#16]
LOL.. no, probably not.

I'm guessing they just had some old ordnance that was approaching its 'use-by' date. I'd love to see an airshow where they use that much HE.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:19:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why for the face?

Never mind....

"When Greece and the United States agreed to sign a new Treaty regarding the US bases in Greece (Southern Region Agreement), as an offset 28 F-4E's were offered to Greece."

We paid 28 Phantoms for Souda Bay?

We got hosed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PS Gotta love those F-4s

You might want to ask for a refund.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Well I see them everyday here at Holloman.  Dad flew them for 22 years and Now I get to hold the parts for them.  Always wanted to be a Wild Wessal Backseater my dads backseaters were always cooler than my dad.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Is Germany still flying F4s?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes they are but their training school at Holloman AFB was closed last Dec.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Greece's air force although small, is modern to say the least. They fly the most modern versions of the F-16 and Mirage 2000 and their upgraded F-4's are capable of BVR performance and can carry the AIM-120 AMRAAM. Plus they have a modern AEW&C jet in the Embraer 145. Not too shabby for a country that relies more on tourism than anything else for money.

BTW, I think they have the prettiest F-4's with their Aegean Blue paint schemes. I'm Greek so my opinion represents no bias at all.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top