Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/27/2003 1:57:57 PM EDT
I am getting my Paramedic back with an eye towards practicing in the pre-hospital setting. I am wanting to work with a transporting ALS service in a metro area (probably Albuquerque). At this time I am not interested in ER tech jobs or with a flight medic service. I really miss the good and bad of being in the mud and blood. When I was last working in EMS, the rage for EMT's was to buy and wear body armor while on duty. Is this still an accepted practice or has this changed? I am of the mindset that the scene should be safe before I even enter. I am a Paramedic, not a SWAT member or LEO and will leave the cuffing and stuffing to the boys and girls in blue. Basically, have things changed for the worse to the point of needing body armor? Thanks in advance. (You see Sherm, I AM a dinosaur!)[:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:14:04 PM EDT
While I have seen medics wearing body armor, it is usually the Newbies. The experienced ones stop wearing it on the first really hot day. In my area, the medics (and even fire engines) will stage several blocks away until the cops get there and clear the scene. Save your money. Dave
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:17:58 AM EDT
It is about 50/50 here in Tulsa and OKC, we allow our folks to buy them on a payroll deduction if they want. We can get a better price that way for them. We don't mandate them but it makes some of our people feel better. I have 2 of them and don't wear them when I am in uniform on the streets. If I were workinmg in the streets again I still don't think I would wear one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:15:07 AM EDT
That question came up in class last night (I just started EMT-B). The answer was that here in MA, it is common in Boston, and to some extent in Worcester.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:26:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Malpaso: That question came up in class last night (I just started EMT-B). The answer was that here in MA, it is common in Boston, and to some extent in Worcester.
View Quote
How are you liking class so far? I just started the EMT-B class also, although this is the second time through for me. The first time was in 1989, so some things have changed, but the basics of assesment and BLS treatment are essentially the same. IM me if you have any problems, have any questions, or just to say hi. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:29:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wiggy762: How are you liking class so far?
View Quote
Just opened a new post on that.
IM me if you have any problems, have any questions, or just to say hi. Good luck.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:35:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:41:42 PM EDT
How many lights do you have in your car? Body armor,,,buff
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:16:39 PM EDT
Our SOP's are to stage untill LEO secures the scene.But we all know that doesnt always work out right.And there has been a few times where we had to pull perps off of a Leo. One time with a haligan bar...........
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:53:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ZahnsAP: How many lights do you have in your car? Body armor,,,buff
View Quote
What, EXACTLY, is your problem? Please take any further comments directly to me via IM. If you like, I will provide my home address so you can say whatever you need to say....to my face. Let me know.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:52:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/2/2003 4:54:00 PM EDT by ZahnsAP]
I don't know maybe,,youin your infinate wisdom can tellme how many Paramedics got shot by perps in the last 20 years? Your previous post conjures up memories of overweight buffs that I've known,,they disgust me. Sorry if your not an ignorant over weight buff with many lights etc...As far as a duel,,internet is a grand place for wanna be killers...Semper Fi! p.s. one of the draw backs of the net..
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:10:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:12:39 PM EDT
The county my department covers includes a section of ghetto that once held the dubious distinctions of "crack capital of the USA", [b]and[/b] "AIDS capital" at different times. None of us have ever donned armor.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:26:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/2/2003 9:38:19 PM EDT by sherm8404]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:27:35 AM EDT
Thanks Sherm, for the information.
Top Top