Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 9:18:35 AM EDT
I was part of a team that went down to  Pascagoula MS to help recovery efforts. We spent a week there, mostly doing demo work. I didn't get too many pictures b/c there just wasn't time and I didn't bring my POV to drive around after we got back from our shifts. The scene was rough, almost every house was affected, anywhere from a few feet of water damage to total obliteration. Most of the houses were hit by saltwater flooding, which means the j-bolts will likely rust compromising the mating of foundation to frame. The 95% of our work was ripping out everything in the houses from 4' on down to the flooring and then applying a bleach solution to kill off the mold (black & green was everywhere). They were approx 13.5 feet ASL and the water reached about 3' up the walls.

The amazing thing - at least to me - was the spirit of the residents. Even though many of them lost near everything, they were warm and gracious, and displayed impressive fortitude and a resolve to drive on. It was an honor to be there working beside them. For those of you interested in helping, they need manpower more than anything btw - the logistics are moving along nicely for supplies but there are massive amounts of work to be done. Anyway, here are some pics:

Common scene - a house hit by heavy flood waters. dozens of neighborhoods are literally 95% filled with houses like this

A random boat beached on a lot that had a house on it prior to Katrina

Damaged pier down at the beach.

This house had neighbors before the storm. They have been scoured away by the floodwaters.

One of the lucky ones, these people were able to save some of their irreplaceable family pics with minimal damage.

Another common sight - residents pull everything out of their house and pile them curbside for insurance companies to evaluate before the city hauls it off to one of several massive debris fields.

Same thing, different house.

200 yards to my 12 o'clock you can see one tiny portion of the backside of one of the debris fields where the city is staging the waste. This hill was about 20'-25' tall and the size of about 4 football fields.

The Stars and Bars flying in front of the damaged church we staged out of.  

Three other guys had cameras too, I should be getting their pics emailed to me soon & will post some of those.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Very sobering. Thanx for the pics.

MS & TX are doing a stand up job!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top