http://www.10news.com/news/30478455/detail.html

Maupin's 250-acre ranch sits directly on the border, about 60 miles east
of San Diego. The fact that he is wearing a bulletproof vest and
carries a legal assault rifle while inspecting his fence along the
border is a pretty good indication of what he thinks about border
security.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for him. Now if only we could get a thousand more like him and a bunch more fencing. I wonder where we'd ever find a bunch of razor wire and athletic young men with weapons to guard that border. I just can't think of any sources... oh wait, the military, gosh maybe if some of that budget being freed up from the draw down in the middle east was allocated to Border Patrol, and a lot of that equipment and manpower was transferred over...

Big project for sure, but it starts one section of fence at a time and the military's pretty good at building barricades. Make it freakin hands on training for engineering units, engineering students from around the country, offer construction workers who are on unemployment during the off season a bit more than their unemployment would pay and room and board on site... I bet you could fence the whole damned thing in a year with those spaced metal panels. You could even build plenty of watch towers and rest facilities for the agents with places to lock up their catches for collection once a day. This isn't rocket science and doesn't have to stop an assault team, it just has to slow them down and alert the nearest Border Patrol team to the activity.

Sure, it's expensive, so is the downside to not doing it. More importantly, unlike 90% of what the government spends money on, it's actually something they are supposed to be funding with our taxes. Securing borders is kind of a key part of being a nation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://www.10news.com/news/30478455/detail.html

Maupin's 250-acre ranch sits directly on the border, about 60 miles east of San Diego. The fact that he is wearing a bulletproof vest and carries a legal assault rifle while inspecting his fence along the border is a pretty good indication of what he thinks about border security.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/dyoungpr/ScreenHunter_01Feb162233.gif

What is " border security"?  Sounds racist to me.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotta respect a man like that

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Good for him.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Is that a bullet proof vest it looks like just a MOLLE
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#8]
badass old man
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
We need more of folks like that the government doing their goddamned job.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is that a bullet proof vest it looks like just a MOLLE

It's a green Interceptor vest. Looks like he has plates also.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Greatest Generation and all that...
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I can see the racism in his eyes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#15]
You know he's got an automatic on his hip.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Wonder if he's collected any trophies?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#17]
He needs an AR-10 instead of a piddling AR-15....................    
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#18]
He's on someone's Terrorist Watch List
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh shit it's the prison guard form Cool Hand Luke!

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

70 is a bit too young to be a member of the 'Greatest Generation"

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good for him. Now if only we could get a thousand more like him and a bunch more fencing. I wonder where we'd ever find a bunch of razor wire and athletic young men with weapons to guard that border. I just can't think of any sources... oh wait, the military, gosh maybe if some of that budget being freed up from the draw down in the middle east was allocated to Border Patrol, and a lot of that equipment and manpower was transferred over...

Big project for sure, but it starts one section of fence at a time and the military's pretty good at building barricades. Make it freakin hands on training for engineering units, engineering students from around the country, offer construction workers who are on unemployment during the off season a bit more than their unemployment would pay and room and board on site... I bet you could fence the whole damned thing in a year with those spaced metal panels. You could even build plenty of watch towers and rest facilities for the agents with places to lock up their catches for collection once a day. This isn't rocket science and doesn't have to stop an assault team, it just has to slow them down and alert the nearest Border Patrol team to the activity.

Sure, it's expensive, so is the downside to not doing it. More importantly, unlike 90% of what the government spends money on, it's actually something they are supposed to be funding with our taxes. Securing borders is kind of a key part of being a nation.

+1
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

lets not get carried away and use common sense now, OK?

speed
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

California ... hell yeah!

Heads will explode, as I'm sure there will be members here shortly who will swear up and down that ARs are not legal in CA.

Remember the thread a few weeks ago where Texas ranchers were defending their land with AKs? In this case, CA>TX.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Get Some!
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If he is 70, that means he was of age for Vietnam.  A son of the Greatest Generation.  Time passes and so does the torch.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't fuck with old guys  I learned this a long time ago.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't fuck with old guys  I learned this a long time ago.

"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he is too tired to fight, he'll just kill you"
-John Steinbeck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top