Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 8:57:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#1]
He couldnt be worse than Annan I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He couldnt be worse than Annan I'm thinking.

ditto and I would be for any american even *gulp* slick willy
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, after "Oil for Food" scandal is over they can prep for the "Oil for Interns and a Big Mac" scandal....
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard that an American can't be sec gen since we host the facility.  Is this true?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I heard that an American can't be sec gen since we host the facility.  Is this true?

It's my understanding that he cannot, because no citizen of any country from the permanent members is allowed to to be secretary general.

That's why they keep getting the third world shithole types that can;t be trusted as far as they can be thrown.

Someone else will undoubtedly chime in soon to confirm that or not. or give more details, but I believe that's why.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote for Hans Brix!!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Great, Clinton will be "president of the world," and Hitlery will ty to become POTUS.

My head hurts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's my understanding that he cannot, because no citizen of any country from the permanent members is allowed to to be secretary general.

I believe that's the case.  Nobody from a country with a seat on the Security Council can be Secretary  General as far as I know.

But, the article quotes says exactly the opposite, claiming that there are no obstacles to him getting the post.  I don't get that.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the few co-workers I had that was conservative once asked me if I really
thought it was okay to call Clinton Scum(during lewinsky debacle, after whitewater)

I considered the matter for about ten seconds............

and decided

"No............it is not fair to the scum to associate them with HIM"(true story)
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I vote for Hans Brix!!!!

How you rike dat, Hans Brix??!!?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought that the UN charter fordbid a citizen from a Security Council member state from being Secretary General?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Frankly, I think anything the UN does is pointless.  In my book, they are obsolete.  I wish our .gov would wake up and see the same.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I fucking hope to God, if there is one, not.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that's the case.  Nobody from a country with a seat on the Security Council can be Secretary  General as far as I know.

But, the article quotes says exactly the opposite, claiming that there are no obstacles to him getting the post.  I don't get that.  

That confused me as well.  Maybe just another dumbass journalist not verifying facts, and just talking out their ass.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, with Clinton as secretary general, maybe the UN can get its credibility back!  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't think he would be allowed for reasons stated above.

I think Billy boy would use the position to try to humilitate any Republican administration on matter of foreign policy. No doubt he would use his position to help his wife in a general election.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I think he would be a great UN secretary general. Think of how quickly the UN would go down in flames !

Ben
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be confused.... it's News Max.  I automatically assume they are incorrect or misinformed.  I've been burned with them before.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a better idea.....
ME!  Being general secretary could be fun, I think....just think of the benefits:  Park where you want in NYC, ignore parking tickets.  Have personal guards with cool toys that "civilians" can't have.  Get to tell third-world-shitheads to go fuck themselves.  Get to tell the EU where to shove it.

Hell, we should give the general secretary position to arfcom -- "included with your team membership is a day as UN General Secretary".  

I'll go first, and the first time I address the council, I'll read the FULL and COMPLETE McUZI rant.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When in doubt, read the UN Charter. The Secretariat and Secretary General are covered in Chapter XV, Articles 97-101. There is no restriction on which countries can have a citizen serve as Secretary General.

There is a tradition that the position rotates by region, and Asia is up next in that rotation...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Part of the UN's problem is with, ahem, "underage girls."  I don't think putting Clinton in charge is a great idea in such circumstances.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Part of the UN's problem is with, ahem, "underage girls."  I don't think putting Clinton in charge is a great idea in such circumstances.  

But the UN's popularity would soar while the world watched Clinton's latest antics.

At least, if past history is anything to go by.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Its really an easy answer;
US out of the UN
UN out of the US
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#25]
WHO CAN MAKE WAR WITH THE BEAST!?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm no Bill Clinton fan by ANY stretch, but I'll take him over that little crooked third-world sonofabitch any day!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I thought that the UN charter fordbid a citizen from a Security Council member state from being Secretary General?

Hitlery isn't from NY either.  

They'll find a way around the rules.  

Vote Hillary in 2008.

Bill for President of the World.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Let's see if he gets a UN job and UN passport, doesn't that mean he can't be subpoened by Hillary? He may have found a way out of another mess.  Yah gotta admire him for figuring out a way to escape her.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I believe he can become SGOTUN but it's generally accepted countries from the security council won't run.

I haven't read the UN Charter.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#30]
this is actually looking rather scary.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Better him than many others, and he can get some foreign strange this time.

If his wife won the presidency and he was in the un, wonder how that would play out? 666
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#32]
if they both go in those offices at the same time, PREPARE FOR WAR! I can GUARANTEE you that sometime during those terms they WILL find some means of issuing gun bans and mass confiscations here in America. It would be too good an opportunity for them to pass it up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#33]
The United Nations will NEVER allow an American (even slick himself) to sit at the head of their cult. Besides, they are awaiting the anti-christ.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

There is a tradition that the position rotates by region, and Asia is up next in that rotation...

It was my understanding that it is also tradition that the Sec Gen come from a weak nation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top