Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2004 5:16:49 AM EDT
... and I must tell you how beautiful this movie is. It has the best integration between CGI and cel animation I've seen yet.

However.

The storyline is horribly dense. I picked up a subtitled version from the Japanese import store I'm fortunate enough to live less than a block from. There are points in the movie that I have no idea what is going on... and I'm a huge Shirow fan, and I have the manga... Once again, Otomo used the characters, etc., as a jumping-off point and really didn't adhere to the manga.

Anyway, it'll be fun to see how the Wachowski brothers rip this movie off for their next...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent.  I knew when the critics in the local paper panned it that it would rock.
I've been wandering my way through the Stand Alone Complex.  Interesting variations on the original themes and some drop-dead gorgeous art work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Give me ideas on something else to watch please.

My daughter and I did all of DragonBall (& Z & GT) as well as Neon Genesis Evangelion (& the alternate ending movies).  Also big on Trigun (on Adult Swim).

Thx.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree on the great animation, I didnt really like the story though.

I prefer the series than to movies.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Give me ideas on something else to watch please.

Last Exile

Cowboy Bebop

RahXephon (I don't care what people say,
this is a straight up ripoff of NGE, but it is good)

Serial Experiments: Lain

Infinite Ryvius (Just finished that one...
Lord of the Flies in space)

These are good ones off the top
of my head.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you referring to "Cowbow Bebop" the series, or the movie? Is the movie good?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you referring to "Cowbow Bebop" the series, or the movie? Is the movie good?

Both.

"Knocking on Heavens Door"
is a good complement to the
series, but the series is MUCH
better as a whole.

<--
WooHoo, 1000. I'm a post
whore...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
My recommendations...

OAV movies: Akira, Patlabor, GITS, now GITS2, Metropolis, Wings of Honneamise (one of my all time favorite movies),

Series: Robotech, Cowboy Bebop, Gundam (particularly the "08th MS" miniseries), and many many more.

That should keep you busy for a while ; )

BTW most of these shows have great manga (yes, that means the equivalent of "comic book" in Japanese) to go with them that expand the story... and the art in some of them is often better than the original. Masamune Shirow is my favorite manga artist (so very worthwhile to pick up something he's done) but there are many others that are great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top