Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 9:18:53 AM EDT

Thought this was interesting:

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:34:02 AM EDT
So for those who don't have time to watch the whole thing, what exactly is the point of this giant arch? Isn't the reactor already contained?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:35:40 AM EDT
What's the username of the arfcommer that had his bug out shelter under one of those and still thinks there's a nuclear holocaust going on?

Or am I thinking of a twilight zone episode?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:39:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kevin993:
So for those who don't have time to watch the whole thing, what exactly is the point of this giant arch? Isn't the reactor already contained?

Supposedly they will install cranes on inside of the vessel so that they can disassemble the reactor.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:42:15 AM EDT

The 'sarcophagus' is said to be crumbling.

It's a big fucking heavy lump of concrete and steel. Won't be good if a load of stuff is released into the dust cloud when it collapses.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:45:16 AM EDT
The "Sarcophagus" that is housing the mess was pretty hastily constructed and really is a  POS.
They have known all along that a more permanent solution was going to have to be built. I am just surprised that it took this long.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:46:27 AM EDT

It is contained for now, but the sarcophagus was only designed to last 25 years. Doesn't look like crisis is imminent, but it's a good thing they are addressing now rather than after IMO.

RT has been running a lot of Chernobyl stuff lately as 25 year anniversary was 4/26 - I've found most of it quite interesting.

Chernobyl Fallout 25: Sarcophagus alert amid shelter collapse fears

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:58:26 AM EDT
I hope Modern Marvels sends a team to do a show on this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:06:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Angelshare1:
What's the username of the arfcommer that had his bug out shelter under one of those and still thinks there's a nuclear holocaust going on?

Shelter Skelter
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:09:07 AM EDT
Am I the only one who watched the video and giggled every time the narrator said, "erection area?"
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:13:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Schweinhund:

I hope the entire crew of MythBusters shows up to lend a hand with no PPE.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:25:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By James23:

Supposedly they will install cranes on inside of the vessel so that they can disassemble the reactor.

My father will be helping to install those cranes, (Maybe, I think he is holding out for more money)

He does tons of crane work in reactor areas.  Just finished up a tremendously lucrative job in South Africa.  

I really should have followed in his footsteps instead of being my owm person and joining the service.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:27:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bettendorf:
Originally Posted By Schweinhund:

I hope the entire crew of MythBusters shows up to lend a hand with no PPE.

"We were sent by Obama."

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:28:11 AM EDT
That was put out four years ago. Any movement on actually building it yet?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:45:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By runcible:

Am I the only one who watched the video and giggled every time the narrator said, "erection area?"

no

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:54:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RarestRX:
Originally Posted By Angelshare1:

Shelter Skelter

I was thinking of that exact episode when i saw this
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:59:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By UKjohn:

Originally Posted By runcible:

no

He said erection.

Who is sending their kids over to play in the fields around this to prove that nuclear energy is safe and clean? Maybe in another 30 years they will start on japan.
Top Top