Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2012 7:15:32 PM EDT
As an ex-Puertorican, i am proud of my heritage and the great contributions other Puertorican people have done, like Roberto Clemente in baseball, Raul Julia in film and Jennifer Lopez in Music...

But then there's this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntiz3tEnzsE&feature=colike

Is in Spanish, but i think the video speaks volumes...

You'd swear you are in either Baghdad or in the streets of Juarez, Mexico, but no; that's in the San Juan metro area - mainly near public housing complexes, like Covadonga. Hell, i tell my mother that I am never returning to Puerto Rico, mainly because drug-related crime is so rampant; and as you may hear in the video; you got gangbangers with FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS, like M16s and AK47s, shooting up in the air in celebration of the New Year. THE FUCK!!!

And gun laws in Puerto Rico are very restrictive, probalby similar to those in California or NY, I dunno the specifics, but i don't care. Hell, I am even considering moving to Arizona this year, so I can get away from Florida and go to an even more gun-friendly state (felt good to walk around Phoenix with my P2000 out in the open).

ETA - Edited to clear things up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

As a Puertorican...

So you don't identify yourself as an American?

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
As a Puertorican...

I stopped being Puertorican back in 2003, but that's besides the point.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As a Puertorican, i am proud of my heritage and the great contributions other Puertorican people have done, like Roberto Clemente in baseball, Raul Julia in film and Jennifer Lopez in Music...

But then there's this...

You'd swear you are in either Baghdad or in the streets of Juarez, Mexico, but no; that's in the San Juan metro area - mainly near public housing complexes, like Covadonga. Hell, i tell my mother that I am never returning to Puerto Rico, mainly because drug-related crime is so rampant; and as you may hear in the video; you got gangbangers with FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS, like M16s and AK47s, shooting up in the air in celebration of the New Year. THE FUCK!!!

And gun laws in Puerto Rico are very restrictive, probalby similar to those in California or NY, I dunno the specifics, but i don't care. Hell, I am even considering moving to Arizona this year, so I can get away from Florida and go to an even more gun-friendly state (felt good to walk around Phoenix with my P2000 out in the open).

Some of my PR buddies in the AF don't like Lopez.  Called her a name I'm guessing is derogatory.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a Puertorican, i am proud of my heritage and the great contributions other Puertorican people have done, like Roberto Clemente in baseball, Raul Julia in film and Jennifer Lopez in Music...

But then there's this...

Some of my PR buddies in the AF don't like Lopez.  Called her a name I'm guessing is derogatory.

J-Lo is not from the island, she's what we call "Newyorican" (Born in NYC to Puertorican parents). ANd considering the many hubbies she has had int he past, she is like the "Yellow Pages" - because of all the fingers she has had up and down her backside.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice edit
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
come on over. As long as you promise to never vote democrat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been several times... Get the heck out of SanJuan and it is a beautiful place.  I would seriously consider living near Ponce or Rincon.
SanJuan did make me feel very uncomfortable to be unarmed.  Seeing syringes laying in the gutter in the Old Town area was not enjoyable.. Luckily, the misses missed the ugly stuff.

I am curious... What, if any, traffic laws are enforced there?  Driving on that island is fun to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But then there's this...

J-Lo is not from the island, she's what we call "Newyorican" (Born in NYC to Puertorican parents). ANd considering the many hubbies she has had int he past, she is like the "Yellow Pages" - because of all the fingers she has had up and down her backside.

That's it.  I didn't want to try spelling it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As an ex-Puertorican, i am proud of my heritage and the great contributions other Puertorican people have done, like Roberto Clemente in baseball, Raul Julia in film and Jennifer Lopez in Music...

But then there's this...

Hurry on over.....bring guns...
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]
dibs on your 1911
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
come on over. As long as you promise to never vote democrat.

DEAL!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
dibs on your 1911

Um, nope! Taking BOTH of them with me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I miss Raul Julia. Always liked him.

As to J-Ho. I hear she likes tacos and burritos.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
You can never be an "ex-boricua".

Nor should you want to be, you have much to be proud of.

Every country, hell every city, has some criminal element.

Just the way of the world, no reason to turn your back.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
As a Puertorican...

I always thought that Puerto Ricans were Americans?

Kinda like Ohioans are Americans.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
What the hell is going on in the video?

I have no speakers... my wild guess is that there's some gunshots outside?  was that it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
As a Puertorican...

I was going to post the same thing. Nearly word for word.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
The One Man Army

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#19]
If you think that is bad, go to Detroit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]

ANother reason...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Puerto_Rican_recipients_of_the_Medal_of_Honor

And...

Maj. Fernando Luis Ribas-Dominicci - one of two F-111 pilots from the 48th TFW; Callsign "Karma 52" killed during Operation El Dorado Canyon, the retaliatory Strike against Libya in response to the bombing of the LaBelle Discoteque in Berlin in 1986.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

snip

Dont take this the wrong way but a baseball player, a singer, and an actor are nothing to be proud of.

Also dont take this the wrong way either. What is up with all the I'm a Puertorican shit? Why is it that 95% of the Puertoricans in my area only display Puertorican Flags and speak spanish and expect everyone to understand them?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
As a Puertorican...

GMTA
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, was just there last week. Some areas in san juan felt a little unsafe but the outside areas were beautiful and safe. Had alot of fun.

My understanding is that with the drug trade being cracked down on the US border, they are now going though PR. There is no customs or immigration. No high securtiy like an international airport or port.  Its just like going to another state. So once they get the drugs to PR they are home free to get into the US.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

Dont take this the wrong way but a baseball player, a singer, and an actor are nothing to be proud of.

Also dont take this the wrong way either. What is up with all the I'm a Puertorican shit? Why is it that 95% of the Puertoricans in my area only display Puertorican Flags and speak spanish and expect everyone to understand them?

Dude, you are lucky.

Puerto Ricans > Mexicans, Dominicans, Salvadorians, etc, etc....

Big PR population in my area.  Family comes first, respect is second ( to a fault).  Can do amazing things with pork.  Have met some real "winners" and some really amazing people too.  They are essentially where the Irish were 120 years ago in the assimilation game.  There is nothing wrong with pride in their heritage.  Look around St Patrick's day.  What flag do you see then?

PR spanish is a dialect of it's own.  A few words get you a long way though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
dibs on your 1911

ok your 12 gauge
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#27]
The video sounds like Detroit on New Years Eve. I suggest you don't move there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

ANother reason...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Puerto_Rican_recipients_of_the_Medal_of_Honor

And...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Ribas-Dominicci.jpg

Maj. Fernando Luis Ribas-Dominicci - one of two F-111 pilots from the 48th TFW; Callsign "Karma 52" killed during Operation El Dorado Canyon, the retaliatory Strike against Libya in response to the bombing of the LaBelle Discoteque in Berlin in 1986.

See.

I served with some damned fine Marines from PR. Except Gomez......he was nuts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
As a Puertorican...

You don't have to stop being Puertorican, it's no difference than being Texan here in the USA. PR is a part of the USA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
As a Puertorican...

I would never denounce where I was born because of a few criminals.  I am an American that is from PR, which is no different than saying I am an American from TX.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

Same reason Texans display their flag
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Going back to visit in a couple of months.

But I'll be carrying as usual.

I freaking love Isla Verde and Condado.

The chicks at La Concha are freaking hawt.  (just don't tell my wife)
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Damn, was just there last week. Some areas in san juan felt a little unsafe but the outside areas were beautiful and safe. Had alot of fun.

My understanding is that with the drug trade being cracked down on the US border, they are now going though PR. There is no customs or immigration. No high securtiy like an international airport or port.  Its just like going to another state. So once they get the drugs to PR they are home free to get into the US.

True.  Haitians try to sneak into DOMREP, and Dominicans try to sneak into PR so they can buy a plane ticket to the US.  A lot of times they will have a bag of anything that might be deemed valuable like cell phones or random electronics.

I was wading into the water just north of Crashboat beach for a night dive right at the midnight of the new millenium.  It really did sound like Baghdad.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Que raro como que hablan los puertoriquenses... y aun mas raro aquella mujer con los ojos "supestamente" asustados, lol. Si ella vive donde hay tirotea en el ano nuevo, claro que ha escuchado tirotea en la calle antes, somebody call inspector drama llama on that girl
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have no speakers... my wild guess is that there's some gunshots outside?  was that it?

If you have ever seen West Side Story.  That was basically it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

Humberto Acosta-Rosario, Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army
Acosta-Rosario was a member of Company B, 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry (Mechanized); 25th Infantry Division, United States Army. He is currently the only Puerto Rican MIA whose body has never been recovered.[159]

Ricardo Aponte, Brigadier General, U.S. Air Force
Aponte is the former Director of the Innovation and Experimentation Directorate, United States Southern Command, the first Puerto Rican to hold said position.[160]

Félix Arenas Gaspar, Captain, Spanish Army
Arenas Gapar was posthumously awarded the Cruz Laureada de San Fernando (Laureate Cross of Saint Ferdinand – Spain's version of the Medal of Honor) for his actions in the Rif War.[161]

Domingo Arroyo, Jr., Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps
Arroyo was the first Puerto Rican and American serviceman to be killed in Operation Restore Hope during the Somalian Civil War.[162]

Joseph (José) B. Aviles, Sr., CWO2, U.S. Coast Guard
On 28 September 1925, Aviles became the first Hispanic Chief Petty Officer in the United States Coast Guard. During World War II he received a war-time promotion to Chief Warrant Officer, becoming the first Hispanic to reach that level as well.[163]

Rafael Celestino Benítez, Rear Admiral, U.S. Navy
Benítez was a highly decorated submarine commander who led the rescue effort of the crew members of the USS Cochino which was involved in the first American undersea spy mission of the Cold War.[164]

Carlos Betances Ramírez, Colonel, U.S. Army
Betances Ramírez was the first Puerto Rican to command a battalion in the Korean War. In 1952, he assumed the command of the 2nd Battalion, 65th Infantry Regiment.[165]

José M. Cabanillas, Rear Admiral, U.S. Navy
In World War II Cabanillas was Executive Officer of the USS Texas and participated in the invasions of Africa and Normandy (D-Day).[166]
Richard Carmona M.D., Vice Admiral, Public Health Service Commissioned Corps
Carmona served as the 17th Surgeon General of the United States under President George W. Bush.[167]

Modesto Cartagena, Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army
Cartagena, the most decorated Hispanic soldier in history, distinguished himself in combat during the Korean War as a member of Puerto Rico's 65th Infantry and is being considered for the Medal of Honor.[27]

There are a lot more but the list is too long
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Hmm...I thought this thread was going to be about working in public relations.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah, there's a shot here and there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
dibs on your 1911

ok your 12 gauge

Nope; my 870 goes withy me too; same with the AK47, the SLR105, the AR, my remmy 700 and my Garand. I have plenty of surplus U Lake City .30-06 and I intend to blow all of it on "The Holey Place" my bud showed me outside of Phoenix.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
dibs on your 1911

ok your 12 gauge

Nope; my 870 goes withy me too; same with the AK47, the SLR105, the AR, my remmy 700 and my Garand. I have plenty of surplus U Lake City .30-06 and I intend to blow all of it on "The Holey Place" my bud showed me outside of Phoenix.

lol
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#42]
You have obviously never been in a small village in Mexico during September 16th. ¡AY CARAJO!

They literally dressed up as cowboys, got on horses and started shooting Glocks and .44 Magnums into the air.
I swear I thought the horses were going to throw the riders. Meanwhile, in Mexico the gun laws are stricter than in N.Y.C.

The food and beer were good though I can't stand that freaking Music.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:51:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Ah, that's nothing. I lived >just< outside of Detroit for 16 years.

Every New Years morning I would take a walk and see how many bullets I could find laying on the streets and sidewalks. My record is three, and about half the time I would find one. My next-door neighbor's back storm door was shattered back in 1995.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:21:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

several full auto mag dumps in the middle of the suburbs, least 2 differant firearms, one is lower than the other, sounds like several pistols, shots are WAY too fast to be aimed. And no sirens
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:42:39 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a Puertorican...

Im not sure thats possible.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Tengo pernil con much gusto!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

But then there's this...

i'd swear I met you several years ago at the range in ocala and I'd swear you were a white dude.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't worry. All that gunfire was shot in a northern direction at an angle so the bullet would land in the Ocean and take out a shark.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

But then there's this...

I am a Michiganian/Michigander (you get the idea), we have these places here called Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Benton Harbor and a couple more I am sure. If the gun laws in Michigan were like they are in New York State, Illinois or California. I would be looking to leave as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But then there's this...

i'd swear I met you several years ago at the range in ocala and I'd swear you were a white dude.

Do you live under a rock? No offense, but I find it surprising that you would think all the people from a specific island nation were all non-whites. Have you never met any Cubans in Florida?

Puertorican:  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top