Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/25/2005 5:30:04 PM EDT
http://www.vpc.org/hurricane.htm

DO NOT HOTLINK
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:32:11 PM EDT
Seems reasonable, but I still hate them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:33:56 PM EDT
They are just looking for more regulations to drive FFL's out of business.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:35:35 PM EDT
Nothing they say should be adopted.

It's all crap.

We have stuff on the books already to deal with this.

And how do you report a gun missing in a flooded city if you were told to evacuate and left your gun shop behind?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:36:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 5:39:29 PM EDT by CRC]
VPC Recommendations for Securing Firearms and Ammunition During Disasters

As another potentially devastating hurricane barrels toward the U.S., the VPC offers a series of recommendations to ensure that large inventories of guns and ammunition held by local Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders are secure in order to prevent the gun violence that marred rescue and recovery efforts in New Orleans in the wake of Katrina.

"Emergency officials who prepared Louisiana's plan for responding to a major hurricane never guessed that one of their duties would be to protect aid workers from gunmen, one of the state's senior disaster officials said Monday....

No disaster planner, he said, predicted that people would loot gun stores after the storm and shoot at police, rescue officials and helicopters."

"Disaster official at NY symposium: Planners didn't anticipate gun problem after Katrina," Associated Press, September 12, 2005

To prevent the gun violence that wreaked havoc on rescue and recovery efforts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the Violence Policy Center offers a series of policy recommendations to ensure that firearms and ammunition in the control of the nation's 60,000 Federal Firearms License holders (FFLs) is secured against theft and looting in the event of an emergency situation.

Implement Minimum Safety and Security Standards for Gun Stores and Pawn Shops

Under current law, gun dealers are under no obligation to ensure that their inventories of firearms and ammunition are securely stored, not even in the event of an emergency evacuation or disaster area declaration. The lack of secure storage requirements virtually guarantees the likelihood that firearms and ammunition will be looted in the wake of a major natural disaster, riot, or terrorist attack.

Congress should require the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to implement permanent, minimum safety and security standards for windows, doors, storage areas, containers, safes, alarms, etc. in all licensed gun stores, pawn shops and other retailers that sell firearms, e.g. Walmarts. (Ah no. Sounds good but still won't work. Most FFLs secure their stores anyway)

Institute Special Security Rules for Emergencies

Permanent security requirements should be augmented with additional safeguards to be activated in the event of an emergency. For example, a requirement that large retailers temporarily turn their firearm and ammunition inventories over to local law enforcement authorities or remove them from the area in the event of a mandatory evacuation order would prevent a recurrence of the situation that transpired in New Orleans where looters emptied the gun department of the local Walmart and plundered gun stores. (No -costs cops too much time and money)

Notify Law Enforcement Agencies of Inventories of Especially Lethal Firearms and Ammunition

In the event of a terrorist attack, riot, or severe storm like Katrina, local law enforcement should have specific information regarding which gun dealers have in their inventories firearms that pose a particular threat to public safety. Dealers who sell machine guns, assault weapons, 50 caliber anti-armor sniper rifles, or armor-piercing ammunition should be required to submit information on the make, model, and number of such weapons in their inventories to local law enforcement agencies on a regular basis. (WTF is an 'assault weapon'?)

Tighten Reporting Requirements for Stolen and Missing Firearms

Current federal law requires FFLs to report to law enforcement authorities the theft or loss of a firearm within 48 hours of discovery of the loss. This weak standard allows dealers to use virtually any reason as an excuse for failure to "discover" that a gun is missing. This requirement should be strengthened to shorten the elapsed time to 24 hours and require that the report be made when a firearm is "discovered or should have been discovered" to be missing.

Establish Enhanced Penalties for Using a Firearm to Impede Emergency Operations

Individuals who fire at emergency and rescue personnel who are engaged in rescue and recovery operations should be subject to enhanced jail sentences.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:45:33 PM EDT
you see what they're trying to do? They are trying to say that all the thugs roaming the streets got their guns by stealing them from gun shops. While I'm sure some probably did, many more probably already had guns obtained by some other means.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:51:11 PM EDT
They are trying to control guns that are out of anyone's control with legislation. They want to further hurt/restrict the law abiding citizen to make a attempt to control criminals. This is nonsense, they are struggling to climb back out of obscurity. Their policies have failed, and they have to grab at any chance they get to attract attention. Using a disaster to get attention is their new strategy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:57:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 5:59:18 PM EDT by FortyFiveAutomatic]
Now hold on, what about that last one?

"Establish Enhanced Penalties for Using a Firearm to Impede Emergency Operations"

This sounds like what we've been saying all along: harsher penalties -- punish the end user, not the gun.
I still won't support their agenda, but that statement makes sense, to me. Now if only all their rhetoric was like that...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:30:31 PM EDT
They're on crack, as usual; but there's no argument from me that gunstores MUST: A: be very looter-resistant. B: in case of emergency, be 'highlighted' to police and military, for extra protection from looters (at shop owners' discretion?).
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:31:32 PM EDT
I think most stores try to be looter and theif resistant.

But can they be made to stop a truck from smashing them in?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:34:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FortyFiveAutomatic:

"Establish Enhanced Penalties for Using a Firearm to Impede Emergency Operations"

This sounds like what we've been saying all along: harsher penalties -- punish the end user, not the gun.
I still won't support their agenda, but that statement makes sense, to me. Now if only all their rhetoric was like that...

No, they're punishing the gun. The "enhanced penalties" for anyone who shoots at rescue workers with a gun are enhanced over anyone who attacks them with any other weapon. Just like they want to add longer prison sentences to anyone who committs a crime while possessing a firearm. Nevermind that the guy committed armed robbery or rape, he did it with a gun so let's punish him worse than we normally would!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:43:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FortyFiveAutomatic:

Why, it is allready illegal to shoot at rescue helicopters.

Extra penalties for gun crimes still vilify the gun in the public eye.

It is illegal to murder someone, so what difference does it make if you used a gun or a big stick?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:33:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 8:34:05 PM EDT by rtech]
Quite funny they want dealers to empty thier stores if they have to evac or if weather hits.

The store I worked at, it would take up most of the day to clear it out.

Of course, we had really nice bars and reinforced doors and such. Monitored alarms with cell phone back up. I was good to the local cops so they kept an eye on things as well.

VPC, you must have to have a room temp IQ to work there. Short bus, anyone?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:38:54 PM EDT
you know how long it would take to empty and how big a vault you would have to have for a decent sized gun shop?
Only workable way is make the shop one big vault.Yeah that would cheap
Top Top