Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 8:11:14 AM EDT
Republicans Head to Convention Divided on Gun Ban
By Robert B. Bluey
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
August 19, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - If there's one issue on which Republicans usually agree, it's their strong defense of the Second Amendment. But less than two weeks before the GOP convention, moderates and conservatives find themselves at odds over the soon-to-expire semi-automatic gun ban.

tinyurl.com/4ov4p

If I vote for a Republican... I want him/her to VOTE like a phoquing Republican! Not a Democrat... if I'd wanted THAT... I'd have voted for the damn Democrat!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#2]

The Republican-controlled Senate has already voted 52-47 to extend the ban, thanks in part to 10 Republicans who broke ranks. Because the March 2 vote came in the form of an amendment to another bill, the legislation was later voted down in an effort to defeat the measure.

I remember when that amendment passed.  Yahoo, CNN – everybody was reporting the ban had been extended another 10 years - they were just in a tizzy for like three hours with the headlines.  

Surprisingly, one of WI’s Dem Senators, (Russ Feingold), voted against the amendment to the gun lawsuit bill  extending the AWB.  But it’s an election year for him and he’s up against 3 “pro-gun republicans” – maybe he forgot that Wisconsinites like to change elected office holders about as frequently as men like to buy new underwear. (and that is to say – not all that much)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There has been too much emphasis on getting the swing vote, which consists of acting like the other side more persuasively than the other side does.
Pathetic, really.

Yep...besides, _I'M_ a "swing voter" (I vote for the best person for the job at hand... the Dems getting "too much" power I vote Republican... Republicans getting "too much power" I'm voting Dem - the more they fight amongst themselves, the less damage they can do to US, IMO. ;)

And voting FOR the AWB extension lost BOTH Republican senators MY vote... I'll vote for the WORSE Dems, so MAYBE the Repuublicans in THIS state will get the message, "RINOs NO MORE!".... though truthfully I'd have likely voted against one of `em anyway... but NOW it's BOTH of `em ;)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems that a large part of the Republican Party has abondoned their platform in order to court the "moderates" out there.  

What happened to smaller government, lower taxes, less governmental intrusion and regulation, less governmental spending, except for National Defense, a strong border policy, and basically MORE freedom as a basic proposition?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There has been too much emphasis on getting the swing vote, which consists of acting like the other side more persuasively than the other side does.
Pathetic, really.

Yep...besides, _I'M_ a "swing voter" (I vote for the best person for the job at hand... the Dems getting "too much" power I vote Republican... Republicans getting "too much power" I'm voting Dem - the more they fight amongst themselves, the less damage they can do to US, IMO. ;)

And voting FOR the AWB extension lost BOTH Republican senators MY vote... I'll vote for the WORSE Dems, so MAYBE the Repuublicans in THIS state will get the message, "RINOs NO MORE!".... though truthfully I'd have likely voted against one of `em anyway... but NOW it's BOTH of `em ;)

Writing to Voinovich and DeWine is useless.
Who do you believe would be better to write to?
Someone in the Rupublican party at the top of the state level, I think.
Telling them "I WILL NOT VOTE FOR VOINOVICH OR DEWINE BECAUSE OF THEIR STAND ON THE AWB.  I WILL VOTE FOR A DEMOCRAT."*
Who would that be?

*I will still vote for a Republican Senator, because I know, if the Dems were in control of the Senate the gun manufacturer liability bill would have passed the Senate and not been killed by the AWB and ammo amendments.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pathetic, really.

Wisest thing I have heard all day...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pathetic, really.

The swing vote- or 'undecided' segment used to be comprised of intelligent 'independent' voters that were weighing both sides. Now it's actually the bottom of the barrel dumb-asses that don't really have much of an interest in politics. THOSE are the people that they will spend 5,000,000 dollars trying to sway.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Telling them "I WILL NOT VOTE FOR VOINOVICH OR DEWINE BECAUSE OF THEIR STAND ON THE AWB.  I WILL VOTE FOR A DEMOCRAT."*
Who would that be?

*I will still vote for a Republican Senator, because I know, if the Dems were in control of the Senate the gun manufacturer liability bill would have passed the Senate and not been killed by the AWB and ammo amendments.

That would be Fingerhut INSTEAD of Voinovich... and I'm not certain Who's up against Dewine... but I'm so phoquing sick of RINO's... I don't give a damn.  And yeah, writing to Voinovich and DeWiine is a waste of time AND a stamp... I did it once... never again... over the turds' jheads and take away their damn jobs, I say.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who would that be?

That would be Fingerhut INSTEAD of Voinovich... and I'm not certain Who's up against Dewine... but I'm so phoquing sick of RINO's... I don't give a damn.  And yeah, writing to Voinovich and DeWiine is a waste of time AND a stamp... I did it once... never again... over the turds' jheads and take away their damn jobs, I say.

Yeah, Fingerhut is a VERY bad choice.
He's the one trying to pass a state AWB.  (Yeah, we need to be more like California.)
And, I must repeat, when I vote for the Rep candidate, it is a vote for Bill Frist and Republican chairmen like Larry Craig, not for Voinovich.
I think we sent a message in the primaries, earlier.  Voinovich's opponent got something like 35% of the vote.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Republicans Head to Convention Divided on Gun Ban
By Robert B. Bluey
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
August 19, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - If there's one issue on which Republicans usually agree, it's their strong defense of the Second Amendment. But less than two weeks before the GOP convention, moderates and conservatives find themselves at odds over the soon-to-expire semi-automatic gun ban.

tinyurl.com/4ov4p

If I vote for a Republican... I want him/her to VOTE like a phoquing Republican! Not a Democrat... if I'd wanted THAT... I'd have voted for the damn Democrat!

did i miss something? has the ban been renewed?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

(I'm assuming you mean "why are you guys complaining? The Republicans didn't let it pass.  That is my point as well.  But, my 2 Senators voted for the AWB amendment in the gun manufacturer liability bill.  Further weakening our stance when it comes to gun rights.)

What you missed is that if Republicans would act like Republicans, we wouldn't have to have this discussion "Will the AWB sunset this Sept?" 5 times a day.
We could move on to killing the import ban.
Or national concealed carry.
etc...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(I'm assuming you mean "why are you guys complaining? The Republicans didn't let it pass.  That is my point as well.  But, my 2 Senators voted for the AWB amendment in the gun manufacturer liability bill.  Further weakening our stance when it comes to gun rights.)

What you missed is that if Republicans would act like Republicans, we wouldn't have to have this discussion "Will the AWB sunset this Sept?" 5 times a day.
We could move on to killing the import ban.
Or national concealed carry.
etc...

yes and i agree with you. though i'm not sure about nation cc.  i would think that is more of a state's rights issue..?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
yes and i agree with you. though i'm not sure about nation cc.  i would think that is more of a state's rights issue..?

maybe you're right.

What I want is to see us start fighting for the things that make the AWB look like chiilds-play.
Let's change the fight to removing the import ban, or repealing NFA laws.
At that point, they would probably forget about the AWB, as it would be more of an afterthought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top