Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 7:34:51 AM EDT
This happened two blocks from where my post for work used to be.

Man shot outside car at gas station, dies
By Jeff Wilford

MOUNT PLEASANT - A man standing by a car at a gas pump was shot and killed in broad daylight Thursday at MJ Petroleum, 2325 Racine St. (Highway 32).

George C. Mitchell, 31, fell to the ground and died after being taken to the hospital. Police said they learned the victim died at 4:10 p.m., almost 50 minutes after he was shot.

Police reports said a man shot Mitchell once with a large-caliber handgun and ran to a waiting car with two people inside. The shooting occurred at 3:18 p.m.

Workers inside Las Palmas Family Restaurant across the street said they were unaware a shooting had occurred.  

"We didn't hear anything, until a cop came in and told us, asked `Did we hear or see anything suspicious?' " said Karla Martinez, 18, an employee.

Police also asked if anyone unusual had come in to eat. Martinez said no, there were no customers in the restaurant when the shooting happened.

At least two other customers were at the gas station when Mitchell was shot, Mount Pleasant Police Chief James Majdoch said. One customer was inside; the other was at another gas pump.

Mitchell was found lying on the ground on the driver's side of the car, a red Buick Regal. Police found a single shell casing on the ground.

Majdoch didn't know if Mitchell was targeted or if the shooting was random. Nor did he know if anything had been taken from Mitchell.

In 1990, when Mitchell was 17, he was charged with attempted murder for allegedly shooting a man in the face. In 1997, he was sentenced to three years in prison for fleeing and eluding and reckless endangering safety.

The suspects' car was a small black Chevrolet-type vehicle. It was parked on the south end of the gas station's parking lot, and drove away south on Racine Street. Witnesses got the car's license plate. Police agencies throughout the Racine area are searching for the vehicle.

MJ Petroleum was closed Thursday night during the police investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call Mount Pleasant police at (262) 554-9191.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Right there with ya, bud.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
If you knew everything that happened two blocks from were you live you would never leave the house.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]

According to VPC & "most police chiefs", having a gun in such a situation would only increase the potential for violence.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you knew everything that happened two blocks from were you live you would never leave the house.

Sgtar15

I know plenty about the stuff that happens within 2 blocks of my house. as far as crimes go it's not that bad. Most of the stuff that happens around us is car break ins. The occasional shot fired(but not by me) some fights. The only real problems that we have had was a couple gang bangers that liked to let their pit rush our dog, and than they'd stop the pit with the leash like literaly within a foot of our dog. They did that a couple times till my sister told me about it. The next time they did it, i told them that the next time would be the last time, because I'd put a bullet in the dogs skull the next time.(there have been complaints by other neighbors about the dog being too aggresive, and these guys got popped for fighting pits before, they live a block over) Since I had a gun on my hip I think they realised that I ment it, now IF they walk the dog down the block, they cross the street four houses before ours and stay on the other side till they get to the corner.  I listen to a scanner at work, I've heard it on third second and first shifts. We're actually in a pretty good area no violent crimes execpt a couple fights like I said.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like he was executed for something.  Gang or drug involvement, maybe?

Random crime is the worst.  It causes the most tension and panic, and it's hard to solve if the shooter is totally unrelated to the victim.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

According to VPC & "most police chiefs", having a gun in such a situation would only increase the potential for violence.

Yup it actually does, think about it. Somone opens up at a gas station, thats one actor, than you defending your life open up on the original actor, now you have two actors in the cituation. You go from one person being violent to two people being violent. But the thing is, sometimes, the only way to end violance, is to become violent yourself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Govoner Dole, I hope you are happy that the blood of innocents is on your hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top