Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 5:52:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
"hey you up in front..PIPE DOWN up there"

It's gonna be OK Styer.think about good things like...well...nevermind....go look and post and vote on my Deer hunting thread!lol
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Go here and select Stranglhold.

Turn up the volumn a bit.

You'll feel better.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]

You're right, they'd NEVER get away with 90% of the commercials out there if the roles were reversed.

Casting white males as dopey dunces wholly and utterly dependant on clever, smirking women to guide them every step of the way has been SOP in commercials for decades.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You're right, they'd NEVER get away with 90% of the commercials out there if the roles were reversed.

Casting white males as dopey dunces wholly and utterly dependant on clever, smirking women to guide them every step of the way has been SOP in commercials for decades.

hey that goes for you too!lol

don't watch TV.put that crap down.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe my perspective is a bit skewed from the norm,...

try viewing it as an allegory to an enlisted-officer interaction...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Some people hated the Hugh Hefner/Carl's Jr. commercial so much they wrote the local editorial page.

They tend to put out commercials that have some pretty narrow audiences.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Go here and select Stranglhold.

Turn up the volumn a bit.

You'll feel better.

Thanks!  I've been wanting the FredBear MP3!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I especially like the "dad as an imbicile" commercials.  You know, Dad can't even boil water without Mom's help, so the 3-yr old has to put the Macaroni and Cheese meal in the microwave to save the day.

Just part of the constant feminization of men in our culture today.  And women wonder why men nowadays don't do squat--they're told every minute that they are dumb, stupid, and couldn't poor piss out of a boot.  So, why not live up to the reputation?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#10]
i hate that fedex commercial
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Lighten up, Francis!

Of course, you're right...

a 2nd Lt possesses all requisite book knowledge to lead soldiers, plus all needed experience, so the platoon sergeant isn't needed.

But to return to your topic, I thought the premise was that he was reporting for his first day and that duty is a facet of his job, not that he was conscripted away from the boardroom by the shipping clerk.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Things that make you go Hmmm...

Like your post.  That commercial hadn't really registered with me before but now that you mention it, I agree.  It used to be just annoying in a vague, subconsciouis kind of way.  

Since we're so enlighted, and 'equal' these days, ...

How long before it's funny (and on America's Funniest Home Video's etc,) to see a woman get punched in the tits or crotch?

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#14]
"Don't you know that we are ruled by TV"? - Jim Morrison
AB
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:53:24 AM EDT
[#15]
SA, if you were "gellin" this stuff wouldn't bug you half as much.

Seriously, as an MBA (who happens to be Black)I've caught my fair share of crap from co-workers whenever I've run across something that I didn't know. I never took it as a race thing. I always took it as a "you don't know everything Mr College man" sort of thing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Kill your television.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Kill your television.

yep.

-HS
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#18]
If this were real life, instead of a commercial, it would still be right on.  How many of you, military included, have had some freshly minted MBA (or butterbar) show up and act like he was the shiznit?

The commercial was fairly inoffensive, as long as you're not a self-important fool who feels that college actually prepared him for life.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the people who dislike this commercial have never worked with a prick with a MBA. They act like it's a Congressional Medal of Honor when in reality some programs will give an MBA to a semi-conscious chimp.

So for me I like the way it put the guy in his place, I didn't even notice/care who was doing it to him.

Still don't.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I didn't take the commercial to have anything to do with race, rather a guy who has an MBA who thinks he is *above* doing anything less than "high-level strategic planning" or some other self-important BS.

There are a handful of good MBA programs out there and a ton that are as useless as their undergrad programs. I've worked with some exceptionally well-qualified people who happened to have MBA's and some utterly incompetent boobs who also had MBA's (invariably NOT from one of the top-level schools). The difference between an average college and one of the top 10-15% of universities is quite dramatic.

Anyway, I think the commercial is merely poking fun at some boob who thinks he's more important than he really is. Swap the genders and races around as you wish and it would still be humorous (though probably not broadcast)

If you REALLY want irritating in commercials, try GEICO (Uneffingfunny) or that damned Billy Mays and his freaking Oxi-Clean.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I agree and seldom post my thoughts for public view. However, your right this crap is really pissing me off too. One thing I've never understood was the "Black Entertainment Awards"??? Could you imagine the "White Entertainment Awards" Oh My God. They'd go nuts on us. Seems like it's PC to not say anything, well I for one am Fed Up with this crap. You wanna be equal, Bullshit, I just don't see it.
ChiefBDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If this were real life, instead of a commercial, it would still be right on.  How many of you, military included, have had some freshly minted MBA (or butterbar) show up and act like he was the shiznit?

The commercial was fairly inoffensive, as long as you're not a self-important fool who feels that college actually prepared him for life.

You are Right Sir!!!

Quit whining, you sound like a liberal, just out trying to be offended. Taking the most innocent situation and showing how it is "keeping the white man down". Big deal, us white guys have been the epitomy (sp) of evil for over 30 years, suck it up and just accept it. The more you whine about it, the more you play into their hands.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#24]
While I'm at it I'd like to say that 99% of the time I agree with you Steyr, but this time you're off, WAY off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#25]
No, the *hidden* message is "FedEx.com - So easy, even a BLACK person can do it!"
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
No, the *hidden* message is "FedEx.com - So easy, even a BLACK person can do it!"

Now that is whiny and paranoid on the other end of the spectrum... just as wrong though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Honestly, working in an office environment I immediately thought the black lady must have been the CFO or division VP, or something else higher than a clerk.

Quite honestly, most MBA's we see come in here at that age aren't even qualified to spell FedEX.

I love the kids that come in, like I did 8 years ago, thinking they have all this book knowledge and are top dog for their summa cum laude degree and they know ZERO about the real world of business.

It's almost comical to watch it transpire as a grizzled veteran now.......

Is there any indication that the black lady is a low man on the totem pole?  Does it say secretary on her desk?  Is she using poor diction?

Why not assume she is his superior in both the business org structure and educational arenas?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#30]
You mean this thread isn't locked yet???

TV is worthless, and I do not regret dumping cable.  (well, I do have cable net, but dropped the tv part).

Steyr, you should do the same, you will find yourself more relaxed and not so angry.  I got Very Very sick of the promotion of reverse-racism being normal, making 'alternative lifestyles' normal, and single parent families normal, violence 'normal', and many other things.

In 20 years I saw TV go from bad to just plain horrible, save for the Budweiser Super Bowl commercials (the only thing I care to watch is their "New Ad" )

Play "Du Hast" by Ralmstein or somethin, go shoot up some bowling pins.  Blow off the steam!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top