Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 11:55:15 AM EDT
About an hour ago. My client is on the stand, charged with shooting somebody (somebody who probably needed shooting, but that's irrelevant). The shooting occurred in her place of business. Cross by the head of the gun crimes unit.

Q. Do you have a license to carry that gun?

Me: Objection, relevance. No permit is required under Florida law to carry a firearm on one's own premises.

The Court: Sustained.

Q. Is that gun registered?

Me: Me: Objection, relevance. Florida law does not provide for registration of firearms, although a gun, like a bicycle, can be voluntarily registered with the sheriff.

The prosecutor (a 20+ year veteran of the office) actually didn't know that!

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably just been watching to many movies
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll bet you $5 that he did know that! More than likely, he was hoping YOU didn't know that so he could muddy up the issue with the jury!

No, the thing that is wrong with this country is that a woman shoots someone in her place of business and goes on trial for it. I am assuming that she did not off her business partner or murder a customer. From your post, I take it that she snuffed some scum of the earth armed robber.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#3]
You shoulda pulled out your gat and put a few into the fucker, all the while screaming "I'm Rick James, Beotch!".

Your client would have gotten off.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'll bet you $5 that he did know that! More than likely, he was hoping YOU didn't know that so he could muddy up the issue with the jury!

Exactly - imagine the collective gasp by a jury if someone had an "unregistered" gun.  Clearly an irresponsible loose cannon

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You shoulda pulled out your gat and put a few into the fucker, all the while screaming "I'm Rick James, Beotch!".

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No, the thing that is wrong with this country is that a woman shoots someone in her place of business and goes on trial for it. I am assuming that she did not off her business partner or murder a customer. From your post, I take it that she snuffed some scum of the earth armed robber.

It's pretty complicated, but I can't disclose the details now. It was not a robbery. It is an interesting story with which I will bore you to tears when the case is over.

The proceeding was a detention hearing. The State was trying to hold her without bond on an attempted 1st Degree Murder charge, and they were rather huffy about the whole thing. She got a $75K bond.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

you have the be te biggest post whore I have ever seen, ( over 3,000 posts in 6 months) Damn
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My client is on the stand, charged with shooting somebody (somebody who probably needed shooting, but that's irrelevant).

How much you charge an hour?

Nothing. I just make 'em give me the guns when they're acquitted.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

lmao
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
prosecutor

OWNED!

Nice job!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I think Motown Steve may be onto it; either he was hoping he could get away with obfuscating the issue and making your client look bad without your objection, or he figured he'd at least try.  Even with the objection sustained, since the jury didn't hear your client answer in the affirmative to the two questions it may leave them with the impression he (your client) has something to hide by making the objection.  Still though, better than not objecting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Pull a Geragos and demand a mistrial....the jury heard those questions and were left with the impression that you/your client were trying to hide something.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I want to be  lawyer
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Good objections with great explanations!  Make sure that comes out in closing as well to reinforce to the jury that the gun was possessed lawfully.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I want to be  lawyer

I want to be like that guy on Jag, fly fighter planes sometimes, go to all sorts of war zones and play commando, have a nice looking partner like catherine bell and then go to court once in a while and kick ass.

I went to the recruiters and they told me that job is called 11bravo?? Does that sound right?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want to be  lawyer

I want to be like that guy on Jag, fly fighter planes sometimes, go to all sorts of war zones and play commando, have a nice looking partner like catherine bell and then go to court once in a while and kick ass.

I went to the recruiters and they told me that job is called 11bravo?? Does that sound right?

Actually, it's a Marine thing.  0311 to be exact.  You should give it a try!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#19]
"I object!"

"On what grounds?"

"On the grounds I've always wanted to say that."

"Sus-tayyyyned!"
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Probably just been watching to many movies

+1.  The giant glass tit is a fantastic teacher.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
About an hour ago. My client is on the stand, charged with shooting somebody (somebody who probably needed shooting, but that's irrelevant). The shooting occurred in her place of business. Cross by the head of the gun crimes unit.

Me: Objection, relevance. No permit is required under Florida law to carry a firearm on one's own premises.

Me: Me: Objection, relevance. Florida law does not provide for registration of firearms, although a gun, like a bicycle, can be voluntarily registered with the sheriff.

where in FL is the Trial??
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Of course he knew. He was hoping you weren't gonna do your job.

Justice is irrelevant. Putting one in the win column gets him the promotion.

Good job. First time I ever said THAT to a lawyer.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

where in FL is the Trial??

Just a detention hearing at this point. Client got out last night. It's in Jacksonville. I doubt there will be a trial. When the government asked for the defendant to remain locked up till trial, but the judge sets a $75K bond (very low for a crime punishanble by life in this area) a smart prosecutor sees which way the wind is blowing. If you shoot your best shot and a judge who's been around long enough to have no sympathy for anybody shrugs his shoulders, that's a clue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top