Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 9/21/2005 4:34:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:46:20 AM EDT
I read about this case a while back.

Home school.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:32:25 AM EDT
Sheesh.

First the public school teachers & administrators complain that parents don't get involved in taking an active role in their childrens' education.

Then when somebody does they get indignant.

A central point here is "Who owns the children?"

Are they wards of the state, and the parents' role is to feed and clothe them while the .gov agencies indoctrinate them?

Or, do the parents have final say in the subjective topics apart from the three R's, such as morality and social issues?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:53:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 6:55:25 AM EDT by TheRedGoat]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:04:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
Call me crazy, but as a public school teacher my religious views were never required for me to teach a class.

Teaching a Christian based group of ethics seems to be the the talk of the town. Christians want Christian values in the class.

the argument seems to be 'there are more of us, and this is how we want it done'.

We're not talking teaching religion. It's morality.

Should a parent, regardless of religion or the lack of it, have a say in what his child is taught when it comes to moral issues?

Is it even the role of the school to teach such topics? Education should stick to education and not participate in social indoctrination.

Teach the kids how to read, write, and do math. Leave moral teachings to the parents, rather than becoming an advocate for fringe social groups.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:14:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 7:16:56 AM EDT by arowneragain]
tagged.

<---gonna read other opinions before offering his own

<---divided on this issue.

edited to clarify:

I'm divided on the larger issue, i.e. religion and morality and how much to teach in school.

As for the specific issue, I'm firmly in the 'over my dead body' camp when it comes to teaching homosexuality as an acceptable alternative.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:29:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 7:30:27 AM EDT by Brohawk]
The bottom line is that I don't trust the government to teach my children morality and accept the responsibility as being mine as the Dad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:35:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:
tagged.

<---gonna read other opinions before offering his own

<---divided on this issue.

edited to clarify:

I'm divided on the larger issue, i.e. religion and morality and how much to teach in school.

As for the specific issue, I'm firmly in the 'over my dead body' camp when it comes to teaching
homosexuality as an acceptable alternative.

He shoots, he scores!
I'm with arowner on this
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:35:59 AM EDT
I think im gonna puke..................
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:11:28 AM EDT

As for the specific issue, I'm firmly in the 'over my dead body' camp when it comes to teaching homosexuality as an acceptable alternative.

The problem is there are children in those classes who have gay parents. Even if there is something wrong with homosexuality (up for debate), it is not the fault of the children they are raising.

They put examples of black families and families with handicapped parents to avoid making the children feel like they don't have a "real" family. This is more of the same.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:15:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 8:17:21 AM EDT by WildBoar]

Reading, 'Riting, 'Rithmatic.

But you think social indoctrination is fine? What if the folks who practiced incest got popular in this country, would you want that book in your school being taught to your children? What about folks who like animals "in that way"? Where is the line to be drawn and why?

The schools need to focus on education, not teaching them what a family is or what is acceptible or not outside of school.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:15:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dino:

The problem is there are children in those classes who have gay parents. Even if there is something wrong with homosexuality (up for debate), it is not the fault of the children they are raising.

They put examples of black families and families with handicapped parents to avoid making the children feel like they don't have a "real" family. This is more of the same.

You do realize the contradiction there, don't you?

Last I checked, most kids were still the product of heterosexual sex.

Yes, if the kid is living with homosexual parents, it will confuse the kid to hear that homosexuality is wrong.

better sooner than later, though.

How dare we blame a heterosexual for correcting a lie that was taught to a child by a homosexual parent?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:28:57 AM EDT
You know maybe they should just teach the kids how to do math and fricken read and let all this other stuff be taught at home. This morality could be an issue but since Johnny and Sally can't read, spell or add 2+2=4 it really is a moot point. When they get the basics waxed then lets talk about adding some frilly stuff till then teach the basics.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:34:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:35:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:38:34 AM EDT

If you don't think accepting Gays should be taught in school, then you would have fit in just fine when not accepting Irish, Blacks, Japanese and Jews was taught as well.

Irish, Blacks, Japanese and Jews= What they are.

Homosexual= What they do.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:43:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:48:45 AM EDT

Yes, if the kid is living with homosexual parents, it will confuse the kid to hear that homosexuality is wrong.

How dare we blame a heterosexual for correcting a lie that was taught to a child by a homosexual parent?

what Lie ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:49:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CavVet:

If you don't think accepting Gays should be taught in school, then you would have fit in just fine when not accepting Irish, Blacks, Japanese and Jews was taught as well.

None of the above 'chose' their role in life. I never chose to be straight, male or white.

Did you choose to be black and straight?
TRG

if you did, when was the date of the epiphany?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:53:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By unkempt1:

what Lie ?

The lie that it is morally acceptable to be homosexual.

(Am I still allowed to make that assertation in the religion forum? )

­

None of the above 'chose' their role in life. I never chose to be straight, male or white.

TRG

Here is where we may be miscommunicating.

Some of us believe sexual orientation is a choice. Some of us believe it is something we're born with.

Therein lies the difference.

I happen to believe in the former, though you appear to believe the latter.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:59:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:07:10 AM EDT

what Lie ?

(Am I still allowed to make that assertation in the religion forum? )

­

TRG

Here is where we may be miscommunicating.

Some of us believe sexual orientation is a choice. Some of us believe it is something we're born with.

Therein lies the difference.

I happen to believe in the former, though you appear to believe the latter.

that would be your opinion, not a lie. just my $.02
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:08:40 AM EDT
unkempt1 realizing he walked into the religion section. slowly backs out the door.

nothing good can come here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:09:22 AM EDT

To you, in your Christianity based system of morality, it is a choice.

In other world views it is not considered a choice. Historically, it was not considered a taboo, or even unnatural. Some of the most successful cultures in the history of the world openly condoned its practice. Some still do.

Since it is a choice, when did you ask yourself, "Which will I choose to be, straight or gay?"

Did you consciously sit in front of a picture of a naked male and a naked female and decide?

If it is a decision, when was yours made?

For me, it was not a choice, it just happened that I saw a naked girl and thought, "Oh! Baby I want it!"

TRG

<---resists urge to post crude Andrew Dice Clay joke.

No, I never sat down and said 'hmmm, the ones with boobs smell better - i think i'll chase them instead'.

No, I have never felt an attraction to men.

But HAD I DONE SO, I had Biblical reasons to choose not to act on such impulses.

We could argue semantics all day long. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

But, yes, my Christianity-based moral system DOES condemn homosexual behavior, and DOES imply that I can CHOOSE not to engage in it.

You mention 'other successful cultures'.

I can't argue with the fact that, for a season, some hedonistic cultures have been 'successful'.

However, as a Christian, I *can* argue that those cultures were in grave error, and many of them may have invoked God's wrath.

At any rate, I can most certainly decide to raise children, should I have them, not immersed in the popular notions of the day, but, rather, as 'peculiar people' (Deut 14:2, 1 Peter 2:9).

Part of that decision includes refusing to allow my children (were I to have any) to be indoctrinated (by the textbook definition of the word) to believe that homosexuality was an acceptable lifestyle choice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:11:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:12:40 AM EDT

that would be your opinion, not a lie. just my $.02

\

Actually, it would be God's opinion, not mine.

Were it my OWN opinion, that would make me guilty of 'self-righteousness', an often-misunderstood concept that is thrown around rather regularly here, usually by those who understand it least.

unkempt1 realizing he walked into the religion section. slowly backs out the door.

nothing good can come here.

*shrugs*

It happens.

Ban TRG.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:16:17 AM EDT

My opinion (I believe everybody is entitled to my opinion ) is that this topic doesn't belong in schools. Schools are for education, not indoctrination into social causes.

There's an agenda here, I tell ya!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:43:04 AM EDT

TRG

If sodomizing another man is like being Irish, then molesting children is like being Japanese, well, according to you anyway.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:52:45 AM EDT
Call me crazy, but as a public school teacher my religious views were never required for me to teach a class.

Teaching a Christian based group of ethics seems to be the the talk of the town. Christians want Christian values in the class.

And homosexuals want homosexual "values" in the school. I will take the side of the Founding Fathers on this one. You seem only too comfortable taking the side of Hitlery Klinton. Not a great move on your part.
The FACT of the matter is that if teaching that men sodomizing each other is wrong is a "religious" view, then teaching children it is not wrong is also a religious view, just a different one.

Religion really needs to be kept out of the school system. It is not the time, nor place for it to be conducted, encouraged, subsidized or supported. Reading, 'Riting, 'Rithmatic.
Again, I will stick to what the Founders wanted, not what Diane Swienstein wants.

If a people (are) so demoralized and depraved as to be incapable of exercising a wholesome control, thier reformation must be taken up ab incunablis (from the beginning). Their minds (must) be informed by education what is right and what wrong, (must) be encouraged in habits of virtue and deterred from those of vice by the dread of punishments, proportioned indeed, but irremissible. In all cases, (they must) follow truth as the only safe guide and eschew error which bewilders us in one false consequence after another in endless succession. These are the inculcations necessary to render the people a sure basis for the structure of order and good government."
Thomas Jefferson in a letter to John Adams in 1819

There was a time, not long in our past when the Church believed the Earth was the center of the Solar System. Anything which encouraged another doctrine was heretical and would leave you hanging from a rope wit ha toasty fire at your feet.
Uh, correction, there was a time in our past where SCIENTISTS believed the Earth was the center of our Solar System and the Church had no reason to believe them wrong. And let us not forget, Galileo was in fact wrong and the Church proven right in THAT little dispute.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:07:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:08:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:10:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:30:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brohawk:

My opinion (I believe everybody is entitled to my opinion ) is that this topic doesn't belong in schools. Schools are for education, not indoctrination into social causes.

How is it an agenda. If a child is in that family type and we address other family types, we need to address his/her family type as well.

The only reason not to do so is religious in nature and schools are not about teaching religion. Right?

You can teach that Hitler had 6 million Jews murdered without condoning it. You can teach that some children don't have a daddy at home without condoning fathers abandoning their children.

Why is it any different to teach that Mary Jane has two mommies at home?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:32:30 AM EDT

How is it an agenda. If a child is in that family type and we address other family types, we need to address his/her family type as well.

The only reason not to do so is religious in nature and schools are not about teaching religion. Right?

You can teach that Hitler had 6 million Jews murdered without condoning it. You can teach that some children don't have a daddy at home without condoning fathers abandoning their children.

Mary Jane does NOT have two mommies, unless my Biology teacher lied to me.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:36:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Belloc:

And homosexuals want homosexual "values" in the school. I will take the side of the Founding Fathers on this one. You seem only too comfortable taking the side of Hitlery Klinton. Not a great move on your part.
The FACT of the matter is that if teaching that men sodomizing each other is wrong is a "religious" view, then teaching children it is not wrong is also a religious view, just a different one.

You don't teach that its right or wrong. You simply acknowledge that some people are in that situation. In the same way that children learn about single parent families or how sometimes grandparents are raising the children because Mommy died and Daddy is a soldier.

Homosexuals couples with legal custody of children exist. This is a fact that you cannot dispute.
How is admitting they exist in any way condoning such a family structure?

If you are relying on the public school system to instill your child with morals, put a bullet in your head now. They don't teach morality, that is the job of the parents.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:37:30 AM EDT

Really? I have 2 mothers. My biological mother who bore me and raised me for 6 years and my other mother who raised me for the other 12.

Next time your in Texas, look me up and tell me one of them isn't my mother and see what happens.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:06:22 AM EDT

Really? I have 2 mothers. My biological mother who bore me and raised me for 6 years and my other mother who raised me for the other 12.

Next time your in Texas, look me up and tell me one of them isn't my mother and see what happens.

Here's the point where you see that I'm right and you resort to neanderthal scare tactics.

(I wouldn't insult your mother - but I wouldn't stand there unarmed while you got indignant about it, either. )

But, anyway, let's leave your 'I'll hit you if you talk bad about my mommy' stuff out on the playground where it belongs.

we're all adults here, aren't we?

Aren't we?

Well?

Good!

Now, back to the subject:

I hate to break this to you at the tender age of 19 (just a guess on my part based on your posting habits) but no, you DO NOT have two mommies.

You may have an adopted mother that you call 'mom' - and that's fine.

But biologically speaking, you don't have two mommies.

Again, I'm sorry to be the one to break the news.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:17:25 AM EDT

Here's the point where you see that I'm right and you resort to neanderthal scare tactics.

(I wouldn't insult your mother - but I wouldn't stand there unarmed while you got indignant about it, either. )

But, anyway, let's leave your 'I'll hit you if you talk bad about my mommy' stuff out on the playground where it belongs.
we're all adults here, aren't we?

Aren't we?

Well?

Good!

Now, back to the subject:

I hate to break this to you at the tender age of 19 (just a guess on my part based on your posting habits) but no, you DO NOT have two mommies.

never mind. active topics strikes again
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:43:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 11:48:48 AM EDT by Dino]

[Foghorn Leghorn] It was a joke son [/Foghorn Leghorn]

I hate to break this to you, but she IS my mother. She had full custody of me and could authorize medical treatment. She sheltered me, clothed me, fed me, and did all the things a mother does. She is not, however, my biological mother.

You can only have one biological mother, but you can have many mothers.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:48:31 AM EDT

the argument seems to be 'there are more of us, and this is how we want it done'.

That's fine, but if you establish a 'majority rules' position on religious teaching in public schools then have opened a very real can of worms.

Do the border school districts have a local right to teach Catholic doctrine/principles/ethics?

When a muslim majority rulesa community, do they have the local right to encourage 'naps' in the direction of Mecca 4 times per school day?

Religion really needs to be kept out of the school system. It is not the time, nor place for it to be conducted, encouraged, subsidized or supported. Reading, 'Riting, 'Rithmatic.

Stick with that, and the kids will thank you.

There was a time, not long in our past when the Church believed the Earth was the center of the Solar System. Anything which encouraged another doctrine was heretical and would leave you hanging from a rope wit ha toasty fire at your feet.

Copernicus, Galileo et al were able to seperate their religious beliefs from the equations. Others should as well.

A book will not 'turn' a child gay.

TRG

Jews in NYC have thier own public schools that teach thier values. And in Dearborn MI, the public schools do anything that the Musluims demand.

So why should Christians shut up and go sit in the corner?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:50:44 AM EDT

To you, in your Christianity based system of morality, it is a choice.

In other world views it is not considered a choice. Historically, it was not considered a taboo, or even unnatural. Some of the most successful cultures in the history of the world openly condoned its practice. Some still do.

Since it is a choice, when did you ask yourself, "Which will I choose to be, straight or gay?"

Did you consciously sit in front of a picture of a naked male and a naked female and decide?

If it is a decision, when was yours made?

For me, it was not a choice, it just happened that I saw a naked girl and thought, "Oh! Baby I want it!"

TRG

Suppose someone out there sees a picture of a dog or a toddler and says, "Oh! Baby I want it!" By the criteria you present, that person had no choice whether to go bestial or be a pedophile. The decision is made when a person decides whether to act on the impulse, however sick it may be.

Race and sexual orientation are NOT equally valid issues. Your other statement about discrimination was correct. Discrimination IS discrimination. But its not discrimnation. Not every lifestyle choice is equally valid. Not every lifestyle choice is 'normal.'

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:51:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WolfClan:

That's fine, but if you establish a 'majority rules' position on religious teaching in public schools then have opened a very real can of worms.

Do the border school districts have a local right to teach Catholic doctrine/principles/ethics?

When a muslim majority rulesa community, do they have the local right to encourage 'naps' in the direction of Mecca 4 times per school day?

Stick with that, and the kids will thank you.

Copernicus, Galileo et al were able to seperate their religious beliefs from the equations. Others should as well.

A book will not 'turn' a child gay.

TRG

Jews in NYC have thier own public schools that teach thier values. And in Dearborn MI, the public schools do anything that the Musluims demand.

So why should Christians shut up and go sit in the corner?

I don't live in NYC or Dearborn. Its up to the residents in those towns to fix their problems.

Following that logic it would be ok to riot here because they did it in NOLA.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:49:34 PM EDT

TRG

If sodomizing another man is like being Irish, then molesting children is like being Japanese, well, according to you anyway.

What does child molesting have to do with a discussion about lawful activities among consenting adults?

TRG

It WAS illegal until the some justices that want to take away your guns made it legal. It WAS illegal BECAUSE it is wrong. Many of those who engage in the depraved activity also want to legalize sex with children.
Engaging in homosexual sodomy, child molestation, adultery, necrophilia, incest or beastiality is ALWAYS wrong, immoral, and depraved.
A thing is wrong in and of itself, "lawful" or not. So what you are saying is that if it were "lawful" for the ATF to came and confiscate your guns it would be swell with you. If NOT, it is because you recognize a certain ABSOLUTE right and wrong that exists, as did the Founders. If you are really that morally compromised and intellectually nonsensical to think Hitler Klinton and Barbara Boxer are right about ANYTHING then that is your psychosis.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 1:00:56 PM EDT by Belloc]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:54:35 PM EDT
hey guys,

Why don't we all (self included) take a break from this thread and come back tomorrow?

it's getting a bit tense.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:00:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 1:01:56 PM EDT by Belloc]

You don't teach that its right or wrong. You simply acknowledge that some people are in that situation. In the same way that children learn about single parent families or how sometimes grandparents are raising the children because Mommy died and Daddy is a soldier.

Homosexuals couples with legal custody of children exist. This is a fact that you cannot dispute.

If you are relying on the public school system to instill your child with morals, put a bullet in your head now. They don't teach morality, that is the job of the parents.

Complete and utter propoganda BS and you know it. The murder of 6 million Jews by Hitler is NOT just taught in class without any moral condemnation. The Holocaust IS taught as morally wrong, as is slavery. You should not lie as you just did, it makes you look pathetic.
The schools of the Founders times not ONLY taught morals, but the Founders wanted, and said it needed to be, that way, and in fact that has always BEEN the case until this retarded bunch of miscreants came along.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 2:25:39 PM EDT by Dino]

Complete and utter propoganda BS and you know it. The murder of 6 million Jews by Hitler is NOT just taught in class without any moral condemnation. The Holocaust IS taught as morally wrong, as is slavery. You should not lie as you just did, it makes you look pathetic.
The schools of the Founders times not ONLY taught morals, but the Founders wanted, and said it needed to be, that way, and in fact that has always BEEN the case until this retarded bunch of miscreants came along.

I never said that, the lie is in YOUR mouth, not mine. I said that teaching about a subject (such as the holocaust or single parent families) does not imply approval. That homosexual couples exist is a fact. That opinions on homosexuality differ is also a fact.

Sounds like a controversy, lets "teach the controversy" as IDers like to say. Explain that some children have homosexual parents and that some people view it as a sin but others view it as a natural development for a minority of the population.

There is nothing in that that condones homosexuality, it just lays the information out and lets the students decide for themselves.

I'm against teaching it in kindergarten or 3rd grade, but it should'nt be taboo in a high school American History class.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:31:07 PM EDT
the saddest part about this entire thread is there are people idiotic enough to think homosexuals are more of a danger than Muslim terrorists.

At worst, the Gay Liberation Front would have just redecorated the World Trade Center...

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:24:27 PM EDT

I never said that, the lie is in YOUR mouth, not mine. I said that teaching about a subject (such as the holocaust or single parent families) does not imply approval.

The lie you spewed was that schools do not teach morality and therefore the holocaust is not taught as something evil in history.
Utter liberal moronic BS.

That homosexual couples exist is a fact. That opinions on homosexuality differ is also a fact.
Pederasty exists. That opinions differ about it is also a fact. That the majority of those who want it legalized are homosexual men is also a fact.

Sounds like a controversy, lets "teach the controversy" as IDers like to say. Explain that some children have homosexual parents and that some people view it as a sin but others view it as a natural development for a minority of the population.
Some cultures teach that there is nothing wrong with sex between adults and children.

There is nothing in that that condones homosexuality, it just lays the information out and lets the students decide for themselves.
More lying. Some Kali public schools have "gay history month". But according to you that is not advocating it.

I'm against teaching it in kindergarten or 3rd grade, but it should'nt be taboo in a high school American History class.
So take the public schools which already do not teach American History anymore, or at least do it so poorly that most children cannot say in what century WWII was waged, and toss it a bunch of sexual perversion.
Way to blow the needle off the idiot meter.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:32:02 PM EDT

the saddest part about this entire thread is there are people idiotic enough to think homosexuals are more of a danger than Muslim terrorists.

At worst, the Gay Liberation Front would have just redecorated the World Trade Center...

And HOW many are dead in this country because of homosexuals spreading HIV/AIDS?
And HOW many of those are innocent people, including children?
And HOW many hundreds and hundreds of billions have been wasted to fight a virus that people have to go out and get?
And HOW much of that money could have gone to teaching children REAL American History, or fighting Islamic terrorists?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:18:19 AM EDT
The government is over-riding a parent's ability to keep their children away from perversion?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - An enemy of greater threat then Al-Queda... (Page 1 of 9)
Page General » General Discussion
primaryArms
aeroPrecision
CA
alienGearHolsters
silencerShop
ZonaTactical
bravocompany
geissele
EagleLite
Xtreme
delton