Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 12:04:27 AM EDT
Linkage

A man from Sheridan is facing explosives charges after he accidentally blew up his own car with a gas-filled balloon he was taking to a Super Bowl party.

The Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office found a suspicious-looking car Sunday afternoon behind the old Duggan's gas station in the 4500 block of South Santa Fe Drive frontage road. Passersby had called in to report some type of explosion or car accident.

When a deputy arrived to check it out, he found a white car that showed obvious signs of an explosion. All the windows were blown out, the vehicle doors were bent towards the outside and the roof was pushed about a foot higher than normal.

The deputy traced the license plate to a home in the 3600 block of South Grove Street in Sheridan. Sheridan officers talked to the people inside and a man and a woman admitted that they were in the car.

They explained that they were taking a balloon to a Super Bowl party -- a balloon filled with acetylene, a very explosive gas used in welding -- so they could blow up the balloon while celebrating.

However, on the drive, the balloon rolled across the back seat, possibly causing static electricity, and igniting the gas, causing it to explode.

The couple said a passer-by gave them a ride home.

Deputies called in an ambulance, who took the couple to Swedish Medical Center for possible shrapnel wounds and broken eardrums.

Norman Frey, 46, faces a charge of possession, use, or removal of explosives or incendiary devices. He faces two to six years in prison.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I've always wanted to fill a weather baloon with acetylene and ignite it.  Maybe I'll take it off my list of things to do...maybe.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]

"Initially, investigators asked Mr. Frey if he was transporting a Glock in that car ..."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my buddies worked the night shift at an industrial welding outfit, they got hold of a wheather baloon one night and set it off out back. Oh yeah, the plant was located at an industrial airport, about 500yds west of the tower. Within about five minutes they had local, county, airport security etc. thinking a plane had blown up or crashed. They could not prove anything, everybody stuck with the story but they decided against doing again. My buddy said the fireball was about 20ft. across.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One of my buddies worked the night shift at an industrial welding outfit, they got hold of a wheather baloon one night and set it off out back. Oh yeah, the plant was located at an industrial airport, about 500yds west of the tower. Within about five minutes they had local, county, airport security etc. thinking a plane had blown up or crashed. They could not prove anything, everybody stuck with the story but they decided against doing again. My buddy said the fireball was about 20ft. across.

That sounds perfect!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Note to self:

Don't let the balloon roll around in the car.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:03:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Note to self:

Noter to self, don't let the balloon in the car, take the tank with you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:10:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Note to self:

Gee ya think?

It just frigging junked their car.... I wonder if either of them have any hair left on their body?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:38:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Acetylene bombs are loud, good lord.

Now, for any aspiring noisemaker.....DONT use a 55 gallon trashbag. Use something smaller. If you do decide to use a big ass trashbag, DONT light the fucker off 10 feet from the door to a metal arch building (quonset) because it makes a really loud bomb just that much louder.

Good times.......

On a side note....i wonder what would happen if you shot acetlyene ballons with tracers.......
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]
thats pretty funny
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#12]
broken eardrums?  that's messed up.  they should be dead.

It woulda been funny to be the passer by that picked them up.

DUDE, you don't have any hair

what?

Dude, can I hit that piece of a** next to you?  If the answer is yes, say "What?"

what?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:07:52 AM EDT
[#13]
How do you explain that to your insurance company?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Now, for any aspiring noisemaker.....DONT use a 55 gallon trashbag. Use something smaller. If you do decide to use a big ass trashbag, DONT light the fucker off 10 feet from the door to a metal arch building (quonset) because it makes a really loud bomb just that much louder.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A few guys did that where I work many years ago. 55 Gallon trashbag makes a big boom. Two guys were inside a building filling it up when another guy started to enter with a lit cigarette. The guy holding the bag had his clothes ripped from his body and hundreds of pieces of trash bag imbedded in his body. His body was full of thousands of cuts and was burned bad.

The other guy in the room was partly protected by the other guy and just had some cuts and burns. The guy walking in the door had one side of his body scorched and his clothes shreaded on 1/2 of him because the door frame protected part of him.

They ended up being fired because they tried to cover up what happened. They left the hurt guy laying there while they tried to pick up all the pieces of trash bag but couldn't get it all. The ATF was called out and within a couple minutes knew the truth because of all the tiny pieces of the bag strewn all over. The building had all the windows blown out. I think all involved still have scars and loss of hearing from it.
Making these on the off shifts and weekends used to be common before this happened. Not any more.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Wonder why he did not just take the tank with him or if he was using carbide, to wet it there.  Whoever the prosecutor is probably is not that technically inclined.  Reckless endangerment or transporting charges are probably more on point (unless those are a lesser included charge).

I am wondering how big the balloon was.  That would be a 1/100000000 thing if it was just a small balloon like the ones at kid's birthdays filled with it and they did not notice it leaked with closed windows and lit of a smoke.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#19]
2-6 years in prison? Please. This is like a high school prank gone bad. I think you've learned your lesson buddy. I said LEARNED YOUR LESSON!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a friend in HS who used acetylene as a propellant in a tater gun.

Yep, the PVC blew sky high.  Almost took off his arm.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I knew a practical joker who was a maintenance engineer at a large building.  They used #6 oil to heat the place.  It was an old building.  He took a one gallon paint can, put a sparkplug in the lid, and hooked it to a neon sign transformer.  He put a shot of acetylene from a torch in the can and sealed the lid.  He set it off thinking it would liven up the guys in the boiler room.  Well......the owner was two floors up and felt it.  The explosion sent 50 years of soot that was on top of pipes, light fixtures, etc. into the air.  He said you couldn't see for 15 minutes.  His guess was the air/acetylene mixture must have been just right.
---
One guy in my area made the 6 oclock news when the door of his minivan landed on a house about 50 yards away.  Seems he had an acetylene torch in his van and it was leaking.  When he opend the door and the dome light came on the door left the vehicle.  He escaped injury.

I give that stuff a lot of respect.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
2-6 years in prison? Please. This is like a high school prank gone bad. I think you've learned your lesson buddy. I said LEARNED YOUR LESSON!

No kidding, but he'll end up doing time.  Pathetic.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top