Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2017 9:26:17 AM EDT
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/russian-yeti/videos/an-unsolved-mystery-since-1959-the-dyatlov-pass-incident/

In 1959, nine hikers faced horrifying and baffling deaths in the Ural Mountains. To this day, the cause of their death remains a mystery. What do you think happened?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Attacked by bear, then died of exposure is my guess.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I think they ate some bad mushrooms, similar to bathsalt incidents. I know, looooong stretch on this theory
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Something panicked them in the middle of the night,  died of exposure,  falling into ravine
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Attacked by bear, then died of exposure is my guess.
View Quote

Wouldn't there be at least some bite marks on some of the victims found?

I can't believe all 9 out ran a bear.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Something panicked them in the middle of the night,  died of exposure,  falling into ravine
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Weren't the bodies radioactive or something? Or had radiation burns?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Bigfootski.

I've read up on that incident. Pretty creepy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bigfootski.

View Quote

Yeah I've read some and watched a couple of videos on it and not a whole lot about it makes sense.  

ETA- mfingar you don't have a link for that do you?  I've always been kinda curious about the event so I'd like to read it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Weren't the bodies radioactive or something? Or had radiation burns?
View Quote

"The rescuers found the campsite on 26 February 1959 and quickly discovered the first five bodies. It took a further three months to find the remaining four in the snow filled ravine. Apparently radiation was identified on the cloths of some of the victims but this may well have been from work they did at the polytechnic and thus nothing to do with the strange deaths"

https://www.aquiziam.com/portfolio/dyatlov-pass-incident-theories/
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm pretty sure it has Clinton connections.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bigfootski.

View Quote

They should have been packing heatski.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Simple answer. Ran out of beer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought the whole "avalanche+hypothermia" thing had pretty much been settled on?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I thought the whole "avalanche+hypothermia" thing had pretty much been settled on?
View Quote

Wasn't one of them missing their tongue?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't really consider it that great of a mystery. Maybe they got caught in colder weather than what they planned. Probably a piss poor Russian investigation was the only thing that turned it into a mystery.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Perhaps the most mysterious part of the incident was the discovery that Dubinina’s tongue had been ripped from her mouth."
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Renny Harlin did a cool sci-if horror film about it called Devil's Pass. It deals with alternative dimensions.  Worth the watch.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"Perhaps the most mysterious part of the incident was the discovery that Dubinina’s tongue had been ripped from her mouth."
View Quote

Complete whiskey tango foxtrot if it was as described. Ripped is certainly different than bitten off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#20]
They stated that the trauma to the bodies was something you would see in a car crash and not something a human attacker could do. Two of the victims were found together right outside the tree line, which brought up the question why didn't they take refuge in the woods to get out of the wind.

Probably had something to do with the Soviet .gov
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eaten by scavengers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#22]
There has been so much false information and downright kooky nonsense spread about this story that it's impossible to tell what happened.

I'm going with the simplest explanation, a bunch of drunk Russians froze to death.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Renny Harlin did a cool sci-if horror film about it called Devil's Pass. It deals with alternative dimensions.  Worth the watch.
View Quote

I enjoyed that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Chupabacabska.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#25]
"The seemingly obvious answer to this mystery is that it was an avalanche. Why don’t people believe that this is the case?

The answer to this question has been compiled by a combination of review, first hand testimony and personal investigation. The evidence against an avalanche is as follows:

?
At the time of discovery, the specific location of the incident did not have any obvious signs of an avalanche having taken place. Many people have assumed that because the search and rescue party seen in old photographs had snow prods there must have been considerable movement of snow. In actual fact the snow prod is merely standard rescue equipment.

?
A study of the area using up-to-date terrain-related physics has revealed that the location is not conducive to the formation of snow build up of the kind that causes an avalanche.

?
“More than 100 expeditions to the region have been held since the event took place and none of them have ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche in this location.”

?
The first bodies were found within ten days of the event and only covered with a shallow layer of (atmospheric) snow.

?
Had there been an avalanche of sufficient strength to sweep away the second party then these bodies would have been swept away as well.

?
The condition of the tent when it was discovered indicated that it had not been impacted with any form of snow flow of sufficient strength to knock over the poles. Put another way – it had collapsed laterally not horizontally. This is clearly visible in the photographs.

?
An avalanche would have left “Flow” patterns and other “debris” distributed over a wide area. Neither of these indicators were ever found.

?
"An avalanche of sufficient strength to “sweep” four people into a ravine – beyond the tree line – some 1.5 kilometres from their tent should have produced two results. Firstly it would have caused far more serious and different injuries and secondly it would have damaged the tree line at the point of impact. Neither of these conditions were ever observed.

?
The “dangerous” conditions sometimes referred to by proponents of the avalanche theory were observed in April and May when the snow falls of winter were melting. During February, when the incident occurred, there were no such conditions. In addition, the so called conditions were observed in a different location with significantly steeper slopes and cornices.

?
An analysis of the terrain, the slope and the incline indicates that even if there could have been a “miraculous” avalanche, its trajectory would have bypassed the tent
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There has been so much false information and downright kooky nonsense spread about this story that it's impossible to tell what happened.

I'm going with the simplest explanation, a bunch of drunk Russians froze to death.
View Quote

Occam's razor!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Simple answer. Ran out of vodka.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chupabacabska.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Apparently radiation was identified on the cloths of some of the victims but this may well have been from work they did at the polytechnic and thus nothing to do with the strange deaths"
View Quote

Is it SOP to test dead campers for radiation?  I wouldn't think that would be in the top 10 tests doen to people who die in the wilderness.

"Hey Sergi go ahead and grab the geiger counter before I open this one up."
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I recently read a book on the subject. The author traveled to Russia and retraced the expedition's path. He even met with a survivor who had turned back a few days before the incident due to arthritis.

A lot of the information about this incident has been exaggerated or conflated with other things. For example, there were secret rocket tests, but not during the time of the events. There were no elevated radiation levels, that seems to be something that got added to the story to make it seem more mysterious. All injuries were consistent with falling into a ravine in the dark or exposure to sub-zero temperatures without proper clothing. The gal with the missing tongue was found after the snow started to melt. She was found face down in a creek so the soft tissues had just rotted away in the water.

So, what sent them fleeing from the safety of their tent into a moonless night without their gear? The author postulates, with evidence, that the local geography is conducive to generating whirlwinds that sound like avalanches with the added side effect of infrasound, which can induce panic. Basically, they thought they were about to be buried by an avalanche and fled. The. Moon hadn't risen yet so it was pitch black. Some fell into the ravine, some took shelter in the woods, some all overcome by hypothermia.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Interesting thing is that the police state had an unsolved mystery.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't really consider it that great of a mystery. Maybe they got caught in colder weather than what they planned. Probably a piss poor Russian investigation was the only thing that turned it into a mystery.
View Quote

I'm going with something along the lines of piss-poor Russian initial investigation.  Still not sure how they determined the tent was cut from the inside.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Shenaniganski.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I recently read a book on the subject. The author traveled to Russia and retraced the expedition's path. He even met with a survivor who had turned back a few days before the incident due to arthritis.

A lot of the information about this incident has been exaggerated or conflated with other things. For example, there were secret rocket tests, but not during the time of the events. There were no elevated radiation levels, that seems to be something that got added to the story to make it seem more mysterious. All injuries were consistent with falling into a ravine in the dark or exposure to sub-zero temperatures without proper clothing. The gal with the missing tongue was found after the snow started to melt. She was found face down in a creek so the soft tissues had just rotted away in the water.

So, what sent them fleeing from the safety of their tent into a moonless night without their gear? The author postulates, with evidence, that the local geography is conducive to generating whirlwinds that sound like avalanches with the added side effect of infrasound, which can induce panic. Basically, they thought they were about to be buried by an avalanche and fled. The. Moon hadn't risen yet so it was pitch black. Some fell into the ravine, some took shelter in the woods, some all overcome by hypothermia.
View Quote

That sounds more like it. Hypothermia also explains the nakedness of some of the bodies because of the intense feeling of heat in the later stages causes the victim to take their clothes off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Obviously a Yeti, my BIL would know all about this story as he is a Bigfoot fan.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weren't her eyes missing too? Pretty sure they said that was due to decay.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Weren't her eyes missing too? Pretty sure they said that was due to decay.
View Quote

What didn't make sense the most was the "All four had suffered crushing internal injuries, yet curiously no outward sign as to what had caused them"
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Classic signs of hypothermia.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Eaten by scavengers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eaten by scavengers.
Makeout session gone wrong.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What didn't make sense the most was the "All four had suffered crushing internal injuries, yet curiously no outward sign as to what had caused them"
View Quote

They fell into a ravine while stumbling around in the pitch dark. It's not mysterious when you know where they were found.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#44]
tag for later
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This.

Classic signs of hypothermia.
View Quote

Yeah, but that's not exciting or fun at all, is it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

When details are left out, people invariably make their own wether they realize it or not.

Every case that doesn't have an immediate explanation turns into something paranormal, it's human nature to make it so. Looks to me like they were somehow disturbed and ran off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#47]
This was on Mysteries at the Museum
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#48]
oooooooh, tag 
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They fell into a ravine while stumbling around in the pitch dark. It's not mysterious when you know where they were found.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your response makes no sense.  (emphasis on "internal injuries....no outward sign")

I'm leaning on bad Russian investigation mucking things up, but who knows.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top