Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 6:10:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 6:10:48 PM EDT by Penguin_101]
I know a lot of people in many states have listened to KMOX for Cardinals games, that is why I am posting it here. Jack Buck is rolling over in his grave.

Deal Reached: Cardinals Move To KTRS
created: 8/3/2005 6:42:18 PM
updated: 8/3/2005 7:22:10 PM

KSDK-NewsChannel 5 has learned the Board of Directors at KTRS has agreed to a deal that will bring the Cardinals radio broadcasts from KMOX to KTRS.

The deal would give the St. Louis Cardinals 50% of the station, and the rights to broadcast the games for the next eight years.

Sources say KMOX lost the Cardinals in part because of money, but in addition, sources tell NewsChannel 5 investigative reporter Leisa Zigman the package KTRS brought to the table simply could not be matched.

The Cardinals have said on previous occassions that the broadcast team, which is paid by the Cardinals and not the radio station, will remain in place.

Also, games will continue to be carried on the internet through Major League Baseball, which charges an annual fee.

That's likely to appease some fans who can pick up KMOX's strong signal almost anywhere in the country at night, but can't tune in KTRS.

Also, the Cardinals say 110 other radio stations across the country carry Cardinals' games, and the Cardinals will work to fill in any gaps in that coverage. Click here to see the list of stations carrying the Cardinals

Cards have long history with KMOX
By Karen Foss

Many fervent Cardinal fans have never been to Busch stadium. They've followed their favorite team only on KMOX radio. The station's strong signal carried Cardinals baseball to listeners young and old, up and down the Mississippi valley for more than five decades, making announcers and players household names.

Harry Caray and Gabby Street became familiar voices to baseball fans in the forties.

Caray brought fans the news when the team was sold to Gussie Busch in 1953, beginning a partnership between the Cardinals, Anheuser-Busch and KMOX radio that seemed made in sports heaven.

When announcer Jack Buck joined the team, the bond with fans only grew stronger.

Mike Shannon, a Cardinals standout as a player, signed on the staff in 1972.
Then in 1995, the stunning announcement: the brewery was getting out.

The team was sold to partnership of local investors. The relationship between the Cards and KMOX continued, and fans remained tuned in, reveling in the play of stars like Mark McGwire.

All of baseball grieved the death of the beloved Jack Buck in 2002.

Soon Wayne Hagin was named to the microphone to join Shannon.

Now there is more change, as Cards fans will leave 1120 behind and train their dials to 550 KTRS.

KSDK

www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82854
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:20:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:
I know a lot of people in many states have listened to KMOX for Cardinals games, that is why I am posting it here. Jack Buck is rolling over in his grave.

KSDK-NewsChannel 5 has learned the Board of Directors at KTRS has agreed to a deal that will bring the Cardinals radio broadcasts from KMOX to KTRS.

The deal would give the St. Louis Cardinals 50% of the station, and the rights to broadcast the games for the next eight years.

Sources say KMOX lost the Cardinals in part because of money, but in addition, sources tell NewsChannel 5 investigative reporter Leisa Zigman the package KTRS brought to the table simply could not be matched.

The Cardinals have said on previous occassions that the broadcast team, which is paid by the Cardinals and not the radio station, will remain in place.

Also, games will continue to be carried on the internet through Major League Baseball, which charges an annual fee.

That's likely to appease some fans who can pick up KMOX's strong signal almost anywhere in the country at night, but can't tune in KTRS.

Also, the Cardinals say 110 other radio stations across the country carry Cardinals' games, and the Cardinals will work to fill in any gaps in that coverage. Click here to see the list of stations carrying the Cardinals

By Karen Foss

Many fervent Cardinal fans have never been to Busch stadium. They've followed their favorite team only on KMOX radio. The station's strong signal carried Cardinals baseball to listeners young and old, up and down the Mississippi valley for more than five decades, making announcers and players household names.

Harry Caray and Gabby Street became familiar voices to baseball fans in the forties.

Caray brought fans the news when the team was sold to Gussie Busch in 1953, beginning a partnership between the Cardinals, Anheuser-Busch and KMOX radio that seemed made in sports heaven.

When announcer Jack Buck joined the team, the bond with fans only grew stronger.

The team was sold to partnership of local investors. The relationship between the Cards and KMOX continued, and fans remained tuned in, reveling in the play of stars like Mark McGwire.

Now there is more change, as Cards fans will leave 1120 behind and train their dials to 550 KTRS.

KSDK

OK, so I used to be able to pick up the game for free, but now I can pay for it. And thats supposed to make me happy?

Fine. Screw 'em. I'm officially no longer a baseball fan.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:23:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:

By Karen Foss

KSDK

OK, so I used to be able to pick up the game for free, but now I can pay for it. And thats supposed to make me happy?

I never got that. You can just go to KMOX's website and listen free.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:31:43 PM EDT

By Karen Foss

KSDK

No you can't! I just spent a month in Washington DC and tried several times. They play some dipshit radio talk show instead of putting the game on their internet site. If you want it on the internet, you have to pay Sports Illustrated.

I live just on the fringe of the 550 range at night when they turn their transmitter down to the low setting. I am not happy about this.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:35:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 6:38:26 PM EDT by Penguin_101]

Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:

No you can't! I just spent a month in Washington DC and tried several times. They play some dipshit radio talk show instead of putting the game on their internet site. If you want it on the internet, you have to pay Sports Illustrated.

I live just on the fringe of the 550 range at night when they turn their transmitter down to the low setting. I am not happy about this.

Really? It has been awhile since I listened to it (I thought it was on at one time). According to this I should be okay

From KTRS's website

KTRS has officially been on 550 kHz since 1923, which probably gives it the longest record of occupancy on any one frequency of any United States radio station. With its 5000-watt signal and low frequency, KTRS (formerly KSD) actually has better daytime and nighttime coverage than clear-channel KMOX in much of Missouri and can be heard into Ohio.

Yeah right. I have listened to KMOX in Wyoming (Yellowstone National Park).
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:43:04 PM EDT
The brewery doesn't own them anymore......

Unions and strikes............

No more Jack Buck............

KMOX isn't the station any longer..........

I was born and raised in South St. Louis (yeah, I even used to play baseball and soccer for CSMAC) and I was OF COURSE a dyed-in-the-wool Cards fan, but they and baseball have just about lost me completely.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:46:13 PM EDT
I used to listen to them in Denver. In fact, I listened to KMOX during the series last year.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:53:07 PM EDT
I listed to them when I lived in Houston (the one in Texas, not Missouri) on KMOX. Seems like the older I get (and I aint that damn old) the less interested I get. My dad was like that. I never undstood it as a kid, but I do now.
Top Top