Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 4:41:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:59:37 PM EDT
I'm a noob so I haven't had this happen . I guess I would let it sit out for awhile and air out. How does it look? No mold or mildew? Lite it up and report back?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:12:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:42:57 PM EDT
That is common with cigars frrom an island south of Miami...college chemistry is now years behind me but I think ammonia is a natural product of certain flora. In other words, fire it up!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:02:40 AM EDT
Thats why I keep my cigars naked in the humidor - no cellophane to impede gas exchange, breathes more, ages faster.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:11:24 AM EDT
This used to happen with some pot I would buy when I was in high school.

Ammonia is the waste product of certain anaerobic bacteria. I used to leave my pot in the fridge uncovered and it would disappear.
That would dry a cigar out, but exposing it to oxygen in a humidor would probably let the ammonia evaporate and kill the bacteria.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:31:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PTM76:

Ammonia is the waste product of certain anaerobic bacteria. I used to leave my pot in the fridge uncovered and it would disappear.
That would dry a cigar out, but exposing it to oxygen in a humidor would probably let the ammonia evaporate and kill the bacteria.

wrong forum dude
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:38:18 AM EDT
I get that sometimes when I open my "coolador" for it's bi-weekly airing out. I was told long ago that this is a normal thing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:43:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoppy:
I get that sometimes when I open my "coolador" for it's bi-weekly airing out. I was told long ago that this is a normal thing.

+1 my frigerador does that too if I dont open it once a week.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:37:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:

wrong forum dude

No kidding man. Only a pothead would post about his pot-related activities on a public forum. I hope you don't get high and go to the range young man.

Sorry for the hijack....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:08:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2007 6:13:36 AM EDT by DWFAN]

Take that BS somewhere else

ETA- Your sigline is appropriate, I think that you should heed it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:55:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DWFAN:

Take that BS somewhere else

ETA- Your sigline is appropriate, I think that you should heed it.

Are you being a dick because my info is wrong(which it isn't) or is it because I smoked pot 16 years ago?

Either way your attitude is uncalled for. Maybe it is you that should have heeded my sig line, and in doing so prevented yourself from looking like an ignorant ass.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2007 1:44:10 PM EDT by PTM76]

wrong forum dude

Not really. Its what causes the ammonia odor in cigars as well. Since I thought I could help with the problem, I gave the info I knew about what causes the odr, and a possible solution.

Sorry for trying to help.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:42:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2007 1:45:18 PM EDT by PTM76]

Originally Posted By effinNewGuy:

wrong forum dude

No kidding man. Only a pothead would post about his pot-related activities on a public forum. I hope you don't get high and go to the range young man.

Sorry for the hijack....

You should be sorry about other things as well.
For example ignoring the info relevant to the discussion, the ammonia odor, which is caused by the same thing in cigars.
Another example is your failure at reading comprehension, the part "when I was in high school" which implies it was in the distant past. Although I didn't mention that that was 16 years ago, reading comprehension would more likely make you assume that it was a past activity.

Some people just lack the common courtesy of actually listening to info because they can't get past their own snobbery and bigotry..

Sorry to hurt everyone's ego. Go figure that a guy who smoked pot 16 years ago would know something about your cigars that you didn't.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:54:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:58:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2007 1:58:15 PM EDT by TC6969]
Personal attacks. This is the puffing forum, not the fighting forum!
Top Top