Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 12/21/2016 1:09:37 PM EST
How much differences do you see between different production lots of same ammo?
I used to have couple boxes of Federal Gold Match 308 ammo in one production lot that gave amazing accuracy from both of my target rifles. Couple years later I picked up couple boxes of same ammo but different production let and it only gave decent accuracy. Another is Remington hunting ammo I had purchased last year to replace ones from previous year performed terribly...again, same ammo but different production lot. One big surprise is Winchester Super-X ammo I purchased from Walmart recently gave amazing accuracy while previous boxes I shot only gave moderate accuracy. I went back and purchased every box they had in stock with same lot number.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:15:07 PM EST
I've seen pretty significant shifts in different cases or lots of .223/556.

If I'm going to a 3 gun match that I know I'll be shooting at 4 or 500 yards I always make sure I sight in with the same case I'm going to use at the match.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:17:55 PM EST
couldn't have anything to do with the shooter could it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:32:45 PM EST
The real fact of lot performance became realized when I shot 22LR benchrest matches. Custom rifles, scopes, one piece rest and a forest of wind devices were a fail until you found the correct lot of high end ammo, and then bought enough of that lot to get you thru the season. Makes a case for reloading when you do develop a recipe of case, powder. primer, bullet that goes under 1/2" in a particular rifle. Regards
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:49:32 PM EST
It's not enough to not make deaded
Top Top