Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It will also blow the living shit out of a laundry room.
View Quote

I heard that guy plows deep while others sleep.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get some cheap 9mm?

I don't really want to pay more than .20/rd.
View Quote

2019 called and said you missed the boat.

I would hate to pay $0.20/rd, much less what I see it going for online. I'm reloading 9mm with the last of my Winchester SP primers from the late 90's, W231 powder that I bought for $12/lb, brass that was donated to me, and bullets I cast from free wheel weights and then powder coated. My cost is $0.025 per round for materials, plus my time. Cost will go up to $0.03/rd when I begin using the next lot of primers purchased circa 2005.

If you were into shooting and reloading when Sandy Hook happened and didn't learn to prepare, I don't have a lot of sympathy. That includes several of my friends who I told repeatedly throughout 2017 - 2019 to stock up on ammo, but unfortunately they couldn't be bothered. I literally couldn't buy new reloading components during that time and load any cheaper than the ammo prices. I really do hate it for the young guys who are just now trying to get into shooting.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
unless you have zero on hand, i don't get why anyone would buy at these prices. What kind of maniac is out there shooting at paper with 5.56, 9mm etc right now? lol

Instead of buying more at mental prices, simply don't shoot what you have. That's the best "deal" on ammo you could possibly find.
View Quote

I am. And my friends are. We just had a big group outting a couple weekends ago.

We didn't stack deep when it was cheap to sit back and admire it. I think a lot of you folks just missed the point.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will also blow the living shit out of a laundry room.

There's another old guy who gets the reference.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So are the mfgs unable to get components because they are made in China?  How does one make a primer?
View Quote

We closed our last copper mine a while back. It was all coming from China. Most bulk metals are, these days.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Did you buy that MP mold from a Cast Boolits group buy or get it direct from Miha? Did you get HP pins for it? I have several of his molds. My favorite is the 200gr 452 with the penta HP. It blows a nasty hole in an armadillo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It definitely got worse after the events of 1/6. Not sure why, that was completely unarmed, it's not really gun control fodder.

I have friends who ask me about getting into reloading, and I keep telling them they missed that boat. Primers are de facto unavailable, and G-d only knows when they'll start being anything other than unobtainium.

Here's what I've learned, personally:
1. Factory ammo is a sucker's game. You zero with some ammo, it becomes unavailable, you now gotta re-zero with something else.
2. Invest heavily in progressive reloading presses, up to and including auto drives and on-press brass processing.
3. Stack primers as deep as they'll go. Everything else will be available, at least enough to produce some blaster rounds. This was true in 2008, 2013, and it's true even right now. I was smart enough to buy some before this all kicked off, but even 10-20k primers only goes so far if you shoot matches and classes.

One exception I'll make to (3) is that FMJ bullets were a little hard to source for a month or two, but that eventually cleared up.
View Quote

Why #2 - invest heavily in progressive presses?  Does it really matter if you are loading 100 rds/hr or 5-600 rds/hr if things are so bad that factory ammo isn't available in quantity for years?

Single stage or turret presses are less problematic than progressives and may work longer with less issues and may not require many, or any, spare parts.  I guess one could always use their expensive progressive press as a single stage if it breaks and can't be easily repaired.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked up some blackout from LGS today for my BIL.

147gr was $16.99 for 20

125gr was $12.99 for 20

One box limit
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am. And my friends are. We just had a big group outting a couple weekends ago.

We didn't stack deep when it was cheap to sit back and admire it. I think a lot of you folks just missed the point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
unless you have zero on hand, i don't get why anyone would buy at these prices. What kind of maniac is out there shooting at paper with 5.56, 9mm etc right now? lol

Instead of buying more at mental prices, simply don't shoot what you have. That's the best "deal" on ammo you could possibly find.

Same. I have a SHTF stash that won't be touched. But also stacked practice ammo deep. But also continued to shoot during this time, because I enjoy shooting. So I will be paying todays' prices to continue to shoot. And not complain.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought 50 rounds of 9x19 147gr HST and 50 32ACP CCI 71gr JHP.  75 bucks....  fuck.  

But I need to swap our my carry ammo.  oh well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would hate to pay $0.20/rd, much less what I see it going for online. I'm reloading 9mm with the last of my Winchester SP primers from the late 90's, W231 powder that I bought for $12/lb, brass that was donated to me, and bullets I cast from free wheel weights and then powder coated. My cost is $0.025 per round for materials, plus my time. Cost will go up to $0.03/rd when I begin using the next lot of primers purchased circa 2005.

If you were into shooting and reloading when Sandy Hook happened and didn't learn to prepare, I don't have a lot of sympathy. That includes several of my friends who I told repeatedly throughout 2017 - 2019 to stock up on ammo, but unfortunately they couldn't be bothered. I literally couldn't buy new reloading components during that time and load any cheaper than the ammo prices. I really do hate it for the young guys who are just now trying to get into shooting.
View Quote

+1

My cost on 9mm is about the same.  It does take some time to cast and live/size, but it seems like finding time is easier than finding money.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Got 3 boxes of 300 Win Mag at Walmart today in Cheraw, SC.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

You misunderstood- I'm talk to the people who seemingly have ammo but are buying more of it. In that case instead of buying more just don't shoot what you have
You on the other hand have plenty, are not buying, and are ok with sacrificing some, that's different

There's nothing wrong with (and everything right with) temporarily "sitting back admiring" a stash of a scarce resource.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only way you are going to get those prices today, is if you put in a MASSIVE bulk order at once. I'm talking like, five hundred to a thousand rounds, in a single purchase.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#15]
This has got to be hurting new gun sales.  What’s the point in buying something when you can’t get ammo for it?  I know i have zero interest in buying anything right now...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like shooting and I'm going to keep shooting.

My wife has her ladies range night tonight, so I've made sure she has enough ammunition to keep shooting and work on her proficiency.

Even at $1.50/rd I'll still be shooting.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]Quoted:
But I need to swap our my carry ammo.
View Quote

I'm convinced ammo salesmen created this meme.

your ammo didn't expire
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm starting to regret having sold all of mine. Doesn't look like the opportunity to replenish is going to come cheap.
View Quote

Ammo on hand is worth more than money in your retirement account right now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Whatever, just tell me more about that $2 pussy.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/1587095316660-489.gif
View Quote

Coc #6 forbids that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The only way you are going to get those prices today, is if you put in a MASSIVE bulk order at once. I'm talking like, five hundred to a thousand rounds, in a single purchase.
View Quote

500-1000 rounds is a massive order?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
My Saturday range trip with my old USMC buddies.
Attachment Attached File

It was a good day!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm actually getting more calls than normal this week from my sales rep.
Just got my first case of 5.56 delivered in almost a year
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Watched Blazer .22 sell for $10 per 50 and people were happy to pay it.
View Quote

Where? I’m in Georgia and I would sell a metric fuck ton at that price. Give up shooting and take up Rolex collecting
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the joke....
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm starting to regret having sold all of mine. Doesn't look like the opportunity to replenish is going to come cheap.
View Quote

Ditto.  Sold all my guns too.  Really needed a PS5.  Shame.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My Saturday range trip with my old USMC buddies.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/IMG_44361_jpg-1777998.JPG
It was a good day!
View Quote

Damn. Looks like a great day
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We closed our last copper mine a while back. It was all coming from China. Most bulk metals are, these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So are the mfgs unable to get components because they are made in China?  How does one make a primer?

This is faise we have some in New Mexico and Arizona

Most of our smelters are shutdown
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't think my joke would be taken so seriously...

In all seriousness though, would you sell me some small pistol primers for $20/k?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought another 1k of AK ammo I did not need because I was .22lr was going for almost as much per thousand. Then this morning I missed PSA blowing out 800 rounds of .2/or because I could not remember my log in code, by the time I reset the code it was sold out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You misunderstood- I'm talk to the people who seemingly have ammo but are buying more of it. In that case instead of buying more just don't shoot what you have
You on the other hand have plenty, are not buying, and are ok with sacrificing some, that's different

There's nothing wrong with (and everything right with) temporarily "sitting back admiring" a stash of a scarce resource.
View Quote

Ah then, I missed your point.

I didn't see this coming but I certainly saw an election panic with a very possible Democrat takeover, so I bought what I thought I would need to have on hand to shoot at my desired rate for the next 20 years.  Granted, I don't take carbine courses every month, so that helps, but I have gotten looks at the range in recent months like I was Scroogee McDuck swimming in gold coins.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is what sucks.  New shooters are fucked, especially younger ones.  My godson and his brothers love shooting but being of little money, especially in lockdown.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just bought 50 rounds of 9x19 147gr HST and 50 32ACP CCI 71gr JHP.  75 bucks....  fuck.  

View Quote
What was the cpr on the .32ACP? I have nearly 1k and nothing to shoot it with. Gonna unload it to fund a Sig p325 buy and a couple other things.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

but I have gotten looks at the range in recent months like I was Scroogee McDuck swimming in gold coins.
View Quote

haha i can imagine
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm convinced ammo salesmen created this meme.

your ammo didn't expire
View Quote

Of course not, but every year I replace it.  Shoot what I have loaded.  Refamiliarize with the POI and all that as normally I'm shooting lighter weight ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What was the cpr on the .32ACP? I have nearly 1k and nothing to shoot it with. Gonna unload it to fund a Sig p325 buy and a couple other things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was 23.99+tax for 50.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It was 23.99+tax for 50.
View Quote
Cool, thanks. I got this ammo about 15 years ago from a guy that owed me 30 bucks. He gave me a cardboard box of this stuff instead.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Shooting is going to become a rich man's game for anyone who didn't buy cheap and stack it really deep.

How are ranges doing?  Is the cost of ammo cutting down on recreational shooters?  Last panic I loved going to my club range on any weekday and having the entire place to myself.  Saturdays were really slow, and still could shoot for a couple of hours and see no one else.
View Quote

Maybe a bit, but there is always a line to get a bench. That's because they can only use every other bench for social distancing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I didn't think my joke would be taken so seriously...

In all seriousness though, would you sell me some small pistol primers for $200/k?
View Quote

Of course I will!

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Where? I’m in Georgia and I would sell a metric fuck ton at that price. Give up shooting and take up Rolex collecting
View Quote

Augusta area. The only reason the shop had the ammo was because someone traded in a rifle and the ammo came with it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Cool, thanks. I got this ammo about 15 years ago from a guy that owed me 30 bucks. He gave me a cardboard box of this stuff instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was 23.99+tax for 50.

And that price isn't much off what it was before the rice flu hit.   I have a MAB I ordered some new grips for and what to shoot it when they show up.  I can't say I stocked up much on 32 ACP though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nope. Even on auction houses they are selling for stupid prices.
Winchester Primers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm looking for primers and haven't found them for some time. Know a source?

Nope. Even on auction houses they are selling for stupid prices.
Winchester Primers

Thank you for posting that. Late October I bought 5k SP magnum primers for 5.8 cents a pop and felt "used".
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Guns here are hit and miss, but one shop does have every flavor of FN509 pistol in the case. It’s like people don’t understand why the guns cost what they do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why #2 - invest heavily in progressive presses?  Does it really matter if you are loading 100 rds/hr or 5-600 rds/hr if things are so bad that factory ammo isn't available in quantity for years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I mean... is your time free? Mine isn't. Much as my kids would not believe this, I'd rather spend the time with my family. Or shooting. Or doing anything else, really. So, yes, there is a massive difference between 50-100 rounds an hour and 400-500 rounds an hour in my book.

Single stage or turret presses are less problematic than progressives and may work longer with less issues and may not require many, or any, spare parts.  I guess one could always use their expensive progressive press as a single stage if it breaks and can't be easily repaired.

Producing 10k+ rounds of 223 and 9mm per year on a single stage is not feasible. End of story.

Also, you're arguing a false dichotomy. If you're paranoid about your progressive breaking down, you can 1) buy spare parts ahead of time and/or 2) just buy that backup single stage anyways. All my stuff is on inline fab QD mounts. Switching presses is like ten minutes of work.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#45]
The Benjamin baggies have started to show up on the local Armslist.   100 rounds for $100
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#46]
If war breaks out, there is going to be a shitload of people getting tagged with #7 shot an a nice big bruise from the wad.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#47]
The Left created this shortage gearing up to fight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a Lee 4 20 pot and 30lbs hard cast lead that is scheduled to arrive before weeks end.

Gonna buy as much lead as I can before Joe & the Ho get around to banning shit.

I only have 10,000 primers & bullets, plus enough brass to load them in.  Should be enough for just me.

Just a tish ahead of you.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60593/IMG_20130930_132910_245_jpg-1777960.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60593/IMG_20140119_133816_522_jpg-1777962.JPG

I gotta say... ive got a little chub now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Benjamin baggies have started to show up on the local Armslist.   100 rounds for $100
View Quote

If it were good quality defensive ammo, that would be not so bad.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thank you for posting that. Late October I bought 5k SP magnum primers for 5.8 cents a pop and felt "used".
View Quote

I started reloading in 1990. I bought all my supplies from a local outdoor store that had a really good selection of components at good prices, but I had no point of comparison at the time and didn't know to appreciate it. Primers were less than $10/K (I think they were $9). Sierra 308 168gr HPBT match bullets were about $10 a box, which at about 20% more than their 165gr SP hunting bullet, I thought was pretty expensive. I don't know if there was ever a component shortage before then, but I don't recall ever hearing of one. Of course that was before Al Gore invented the internet, so maybe I didn't hear about it.

The first shortage I experienced was in 1994 when primers became all but impossible to source and were 2x or more the pre panic price. It was about 2 years before they were in stock everywhere again, and with it came about a 50% price markup that never retreated. The local store decided to get out of the reloading business at about the same time, so I learned about online ordering and hazmat fees. Regardless, I absorbed that lesson and never bought less than 25K primers at a time.  When inventory gets down to what I think won't last more than 5 years, or I run across a really good deal, I stock up again.

I can promise there are plenty of people on this board who would gladly take those primers for $58/K. When I see the online auction prices for primers I think about renting vault space to store mine.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top