Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I'm starting to regret having sold all of mine. Doesn't look like the opportunity to replenish is going to come cheap.
View Quote

No shit.  All I kept was a 10/22 and a .38 and a box of ammo for each.  Damn it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't sell a single round of ammo right now, I don't give a shit if I'm homeless.

Hell I'm mad I gave my buddy 300 rounds of 9mm like six months ago for free
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I still find ammo at Academy, bought 3 boxes the other day.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, sadly you are correct. I can't begin to explain the feeling of uneasiness I'm experiencing right  now living without any guns or ammo. Simply did not see any of this coming. I'm decently skilled with a bo staff but that isn't going to get me very far when things really start to pop off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like the "big money" flippers got fucked by trying to make a few hundred dollars in the short term.  Too shortsighted in their part.

Yes, sadly you are correct. I can't begin to explain the feeling of uneasiness I'm experiencing right  now living without any guns or ammo. Simply did not see any of this coming. I'm decently skilled with a bo staff but that isn't going to get me very far when things really start to pop off.

Dude, I'm sure we're being monitored, but not this closely.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a better than zero chance it's being held back or someone is buying it to remove from circulation for the coming wars.

Now would be a good time to learn about how compromised a country can be during war time by looking closely at the losers in WWI & WWII. Private industry has no alliances with nations or people. They serve the owners & those working on the inside.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get some cheap 9mm?

I don't really want to pay more than .20/rd.
View Quote

You're in luck. I'm running a special right now. Buy two boxes at $5 a round, get one at $.20. This is a limited time offer and limited to stock on hand, so act now!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve seen small rifle primers over $200 per k.

I’d love to have more, but I can get by with what I have.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm starting to regret having sold all of mine. Doesn't look like the opportunity to replenish is going to come cheap.
View Quote

Whoops

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I feel old, got into reloading post 9/11.
View Quote

Get off my lawn junior.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually lol’d
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Arfcom mantra has been repeated incessantly since I first started here:  

"Buy cheap, stack deep."
View Quote

Yep...  I did this for years, now I'm still wishing I bought more of everything, especially subsonic rounds...
To be fair, I got into the quite game much later than a lot of folks here.

Several years ago, I moved out to a really rural area and a few times a month we drive either to Cape Giraudou<sp> or St. Louis to hit Academy, Barnes and Nobel and a few other gun or alcohol shops.

The last three trips, I have seen zero ammo other than shotshell ammo....
Two guys I know down here are doing the same thing, but they are buying any ammo they find even though they don't have guns for it.
They hope they can resell or trade it for something they want/need.

I know every-time is the worst its ever been, but this time is down right unreal...

Walmart really screwed me when they stopped selling popular ammo.
We unfortunately go there at least twice a week. (I know we hate them) and I used to pick up at least two boxes of something and I'd alternate on calibers each time.   I even had the wife doing it.

Buying like that it adds up fairly fast and it doesn't seem like your spending as much, even if you are spending more in the long run.

With being having a small range in my back yard and living less than a half hour from the gun club, I shoot a pretty good amount during the summer.
I'm worried about being able to do that and shoot in all the competitions I normally do and I'm worried about our Gun Club going under.

It brings in a decent amount of cash from all the comps. With those down and folks not being able to afford to shoot, I see them letting their Dues/Membership slide and the club going broke.  
Also, if the much hated NRA goes tits up, where will Gun Clubs get affordable insurance.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Gun store here had fuckall for guns but more ammo than I would have expected. I didn't bother asking the price.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Haha I went to my Walmart yesterday and they too only had 28 gauge shotgun ammo left as well.

Waiting for the run on 28 gauge shotguns soon...

I did get some 308 from a gun store a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was just wondering about the yearly production rates and where those numbers are today

There are plenty of raw resources for component/ammunition production.

Every month ammo production produces a consistent number, is there a graph for 2020?
View Quote

I'm looking for primers and haven't found them for some time. Know a source?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got a pretty good stash of my regular stuff, but I didnt expect to get a gun that literally has no ammo availability and no reloading supplies are available to roll my own. FUBAR.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Screenshot I took yesterday.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#18]
There were probably 50 people in line at Cabela's today.  Everything competing for a few thousand rounds combined of 5.56, 9mm, and 380. Most people got nothing.  Some people drove an hour to get there.

It's getting worse and worse.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's fairy tail dream stuff. Where have you been, Mars?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I was at the LGS the other day around 12:30 in the afternoon....the shipment must have just come in, because one of the employees brings out the cart full of ammo to put on the shelves.  The kid didn't even have a chance to put anything up as I have never in my life seen a bunch of grown men Karens run to that shit like it was $2 pussy......When it cleared, I asked for 300 blackout, and of course the kid said, all out bro...    Gawd i hate people....
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I never really understood people who sell part or all of their stash to make a "nice profit" in this tenuous political and economic climate.

Really???

If you need the extra cash, get a fucking side job delivering pizza or something and you get to have your "nice profit" AND keep your stash.

SMH
View Quote

People's situations are different. You expect someone with medical problems who needs money to go out and get a side job?  That's an actual real example from a guy here a week or so ago.

Alternatively, if you have more than you will ever shoot, or some catridge you're convinced you won't shoot, why wouldn't you sell when the market is high?  What's the plan otherwise, leave it in your basement until your estate has to dump it in a garage sale to 1srelluc for far less than you paid?

Me? I was sitting on some XM855 that no range around me will let me shoot...and I have more than enough M193 for the rest of my life.  So instead of sitting on my shelf gathering dust, I sold it at a price that I was very happy with.  

People have different priorities and different situations...and certainly different sizes of forts. I'm sure some people stacked deeply in hopes of selling some of it. That's certainly why many people here stacked so deeply in lowers and mags.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I never really understood people who sell part or all of their stash to make a "nice profit" in this tenuous political and economic climate.

Really???

If you need the extra cash, get a fucking side job delivering pizza or something and you get to have your "nice profit" AND keep your stash.

SMH
View Quote

If an individual has a stash of say 100K 5.56, 75K 9mm, and 300K .22, why is it so hard to understand them selling off a portion of it at a "nice profit"?  It seems like a tenuous political and economic climate would be the ideal opportunity to sell some.  Selling 50k of 5.56 could net them $40-50K and still leave them with 50K rounds.  It would take an awful lot of pizza deliveries to make $40-50K.

If the same individual only had 2K 5.56 and 3K .22, then it may not make sense to sell any of it at this point.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There were probably 50 people in line at Cabela's today.  Everything competing for a few thousand rounds combined of 5.56, 9mm, and 380. Most people got nothing.  Some people drove an hour to get there.

It's getting worse and worse.
View Quote

It's an hour to get to my Cabelas and all they had left was shotgun ammo.  Granted, they had lots of shotgun ammo on hand, but there wasn't a rifle round in sight.  Even the damn magnum rifle calibers were sold out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#24]
if y'all knew what I paid for some .223 Deer Season XP yesterday....im part of the problem
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Sandy Hook shortages and inflated prices taught me what I needed to know.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm looking for primers and haven't found them for some time. Know a source?
View Quote

Nope. Even on auction houses they are selling for stupid prices.

Winchester Primers
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The problem is that there's nothing to panic buy anymore. I'm not disputing that it's being manufactured, but it seems to not be reaching the retailers. Where's it going?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both sides are panic buying like never before, for good reason.

The problem is that there's nothing to panic buy anymore. I'm not disputing that it's being manufactured, but it seems to not be reaching the retailers. Where's it going?

Those shelves full of ammo and warehouses full of ammo didn’t happen overnight.  They were built up over time as ammo trickled in.

What you’re seeing now is the real-time capacity of the ammo supply chain and every box that hits a shelf gets instantly consumed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Yep, Ammo, Vinyl gloves (500% over last year purchase prices)
FCOJ, and primers are hot right now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a problem... but you must bring your own weapons.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Neckbeards are buying it up and selling it.

When you stop buying at astronomically inflated prices the price will go down.
View Quote

I see ammo disappearing with one box limits. I think we’re way past neckbearding now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Neckbeards are buying it up and selling it.

When you stop buying at astronomically inflated prices the price will go down.
View Quote

Not for the last two weeks they weren’t.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#33]
One of our LGS had several options for 9mm 1k cases by the pallet this weekend.  Even at 700 per case they were flying out the door.  The panic buying is at a level I have not seen in my nearly 30 years in the hobby.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/10/Disappointed-Terrible-Awful-OMG-Embarassed-Embarassing-WTF-GIF.gif

I'm assuming that's a boating accident story.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Coming shortly will be the worst assault on the 2A in American history.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Check small gun shops you don’t normally visit. I recently found out the local police supply company sells ammunition to anyone. Two box limit, in store only.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I see ammo disappearing with one box limits. I think we’re way past neckbearding now.
View Quote
Yep.

LGS has Fiochi 9mm, 50rd box, $22.  1 box limit per customer per day.  Sells out all the time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Distributors are neckbearding to make mucho profits.
Remember what they did, and plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#40]
The best part of all of this is that when (if) this all finally is over and done with you will have a sizeable number of people just refuse to start stockpiling.  

I guaran-fucking-tee that 90% of the assholes out there crying about ammo prices and availability got told repeatedly in the last few years to get ready for this possibility.

We have had how many panics in the last twelve years?  I don't feel sorry for anyone caught with their pants down.  You were told again, and again, and again.  Every election year, every Democrat win, every shooting the neckbeards run out and start hoarding everything and everyone else walks around with question marks on their heads wondering what happened.

And nothing will be learned from this one either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was just wondering about the yearly production rates and where those numbers are today

There are plenty of raw resources for component/ammunition production.

Every month ammo production produces a consistent number, is there a graph for 2020?
View Quote

I know a few people in the reman business. Federal, etc are now longer selling components, they are keeping everything for their in house ammo production so they can fulfill orders and contracts. A few reman's will load for you if you can provide the primers, but your still $400+ for 1k with providing primers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Wait, there is an ammo shortage?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Who could have seen this coming?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a lot of 22 ammo I’d like to sell, but not dealing with shipping and want adds. What would be the chances of a lgs buying from and individual?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a lot of 22 ammo I’d like to sell, but not dealing with shipping and want adds. What would be the chances of a lgs buying from and individual?
View Quote

oh, they'll buy it.

Expect to go like a standard pawn shop deal though.

A while back, I saw guy sell a like new G19 to the local pawn shop for $200.  It was in their case the next day for $450.

Not saying anything is wrong with that, but you won't make any money trying to sell to a business that has to make a profit on top.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#46]
You gotta be quick and willing to pay when you see it. Our local store/range went from selling 25 round 9mm "loosies" of random head stamp, maybe reloads in a ziplock bag to charging $1/round and only if you use their range that day. I was there buying 45acp because it was cheaper than 9mm.

Got a link to a 300 round bulk pack of aguila 9mm yesterday for $77, free shipping! felt like the old days and I almost hurt myself whipping the wallet out. Ordered 2 because I know the stock drops immediately and went to get more and it was gone.

I've been through panics. This feels different. It feels like people from everywhere are prepping for war.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#47]
It's like everything else these days.
Nobody understands the reasons behind the problem, so they just make some up,

Ammo manufactures were barely surviving a few years ago because of the increased over head they build up meeting demand during the last panic buying season.
If I ran an ammo company I wouldn't even consider expanding production capacity because this is all temporary, and I'd be struggling to make payroll in a year or two.
Producing and selling a product with no fixed value is extremely difficult and you have make enough money to survive increased costs.
There is some gouging, but what most people are bitching about are small dealers trying to raise enough money to replenish their stock when they have no idea what their cost will be from day to day.
On top of the price uncertainty, dealers and distributors know demand will drop of at some point, and they can't afford to be holding a bunch of ammo at inflated prices when that happens.
It's a lot of work keeping up with this nonsense and before it's over, it will bankrupt people.

Consumers who don't know the inner workings of the industry have no clue how dangerous times like this are for small businesses.
When this is over there will be a wave of small gun shops closing their doors.
Whats happening is similar to the real estate bubble in that lots of people will be upside down when prices normalize, and ammo values will plunge leaving people in debt with no way to recover losses.

I'm starting to get pretty concerned because left's primary tactic will be bankrupting gun companies through litigation.
If the industry is already in financial meltdown, it will be extremely vulnerable.  
The NSSF should should be involved at this point. And dealers/distributors should be transparent about their costs and inventories, and we need to keep buying to support the industry while we still have it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#48]
I stopped by Academy they said they haven't seen any 9mm in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#49]
I know someone who has a family business that makes a component for primers.  I asked him what was going on a few weeks ago and he said they are making full bore and selling to all the big ammo/primer makers.  I asked why they were scarce and he said he thinks it's hoarders and that everyone is cranking product out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're in luck. I'm running a special right now. Buy two boxes at $5 a round, get one at $.20. This is a limited time offer and limited to stock on hand, so act now!!!
View Quote

The truth sucks but if you don't laugh once in a while...
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top