Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 12:14:13 PM EST
Any of you have experience, good or bad with American Ammunition?

I saw it at the show, & picked up a box of .223 & one of .45.

Looking at it, all the headstamps are the same (Amerc), but the brass almost looks like reloads, not bad really, but there are some small flaws in it.

It's pretty cheap, but not a lot less than milsurp. (I usually plink with lake city) Just wanted to know if there are any opinions on it out there.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:16:56 PM EST
Never bought any, because I've read dozens of threads here that say it's first-rate junk.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:34:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By arowneragain:
Never bought any, because I've read dozens of threads here that say it's first-rate junk.

Okay then.. guess I missed those dozens of threads.. Any particulars? Is it over / under loaded, primers no good? Cases rip in half? Blows stuff up?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:36:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By heysoos:

Okay then.. guess I missed those dozens of threads.. Any particulars? Is it over / under loaded, primers no good? Cases rip in half? Blows stuff up?

All of the above. Check the ammo section of the AR forum.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:40:00 PM EST

I've had American Ammo where the primers fell out, where the OAL was too long and it wouldn't fit in the chamber, where it had squib loads, where the case ruptured, where it was overloaded...any bad thing you can think of, American Ammo has done it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:46:08 PM EST

All but the blowing stuff up part. If I was looking for ammo that 'blows stuff up' I wouldn't get American.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:46:29 PM EST
I have had bad seated rounds, lots of ones with dead primers. Lose 20% of a box on bad rounds. Id go for Wolf first.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:54:05 PM EST
Alrighty then... looks like those are going in the campfire! lol.. Thanks for your feedback on this, I figured the price was too good to be true..
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:56:44 PM EST
I've seen some of this ammo in 38sp that had bad primers, a night watch man brought 2 boxes of them for me to look at, told me he got it at wallyworld, I told him to take it back and stick it up Wally's Ass
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:01:57 AM EST
Shot some of their 9mm a while back. Seemed pretty hot compared to the Winchester white box I also had that day. Seemed to function fine though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:22:24 AM EST
I've gone through close to 2,000 rounds of the stuff in .40 using a Glock. I've had several rounds were the primers were seated too far in and the Glock couldn't set them off. I've also had one or two where the over all length was too long. But for cheap plinking ammo it seems to work just fine.

American Ammo has also partnered up with IMI for cross selling of products. They have been getting new equipment in for quality control so maybe the product will improve. It can't be as bad as people are making it sound here because three different government agencies have signed contracts to buy millions of rounds of their ammo.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:27:50 AM EST
Totally uncrimped too. I couldn't clear one single 8 rd mag in my Kimber.

I got it as a gift and actually said "thanks", my Bro in law is LEO, I would have thought he would have known better but it only proves.... never mind It's the thought that counts.

Out of 100 rounds, 75+ went to the bottom of a dumpster, including the brass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:40:15 AM EST
I tried the stuff years ago in handgun rounds only and never had any problems..is the company in different hands now with QC issues?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:50:56 AM EST
Bad stuff. Makes Wolf laquer look like fine quality.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:45:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:27:59 AM EST
I bought 500 rounds of .45 at a gunshow a while back. Several squib loads in the lot. One left a bullet stuck in the barrel of my gun.
Use it for fertilizer. I wouldnt shoot it if you gave it to me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:30:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By Taxman:
I have had bad seated rounds, lots of ones with dead primers. Lose 20% of a box on bad rounds. Id go for Wolf first.

Go easy on the Wolf man. I don't think they even belopng in the discussion. I ran 1000 rounds through my AR with zero problems.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:20:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:23:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

Originally Posted By Taxman:

Go easy on the Wolf man. I don't think they even belopng in the discussion. I ran 1000 rounds through my AR with zero problems.

I shoot Wolf in a few of my guns too. Even with everybad thing I have heard about Wolf I still take it over the AMERC stuff.

I havent had any real problems out of Wolf either for the record, its bot my first choice but I use it.

Basicly this is the worst stuff I know of you can buy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:44:32 PM EST
Wow, I must be lucky. I've put 300-400 rounds through my M16 with zero problems so far. The guy at the gunstore where I picked up a case for $85 (Amerc/IMI boxed) said his boss liked it so much they would buy back anything I didn't shoot if I didn't like it.

Maybe they've gotten the QC problems under control. I see no issue with it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:57:01 PM EST

Any of you have experience, good or bad with American Ammunition?

I saw it at the show, & picked up a box of .223 & one of .45.

Looking at it, all the headstamps are the same (Amerc), but the brass almost looks like reloads, not bad really, but there are some small flaws in it.

It's pretty cheap, but not a lot less than milsurp. (I usually plink with lake city) Just wanted to know if there are any opinions on it out there.

Thanks!

Be glad you only bought one box of .45 it's crap!!!...
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:09:57 AM EST
After the replies I've seen here, I will definitely NOT shoot this stuff.

Thanks for all the responses.

Top Top