Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2001 11:41:13 AM EDT
The May issue of the NRA magazine, American Rifleman is a special law enforcement issue and on the cover is an ArmaLite M15A4. If you look carefully at the rifle, it is labled as government or law enforcement use only, but the rifle itself is only a semi-automatic as there is only safe and fire on the selector switch.
Inside the issue is an article that comments that semi-auto is a way better choice for a law enforcement rifle as full auto is just a waste of ammo and doesn't produce accurate shots.
If law enforcement agencies agree to this and start using semi-auto only rifles, will there be even a reason to label rifles and sell them as law enforcement only rifles since they are the same, with the exception of a collapsable buttstock?
The issue also mentions and has a couple of ads for Rock River Arms carbines for law enforcement. So for those who are wondering if RRA was a good rifle for the LEGP, if the government and law enforcement uses them, it can't be that bad of a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't know; BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE MY ISSUE YET!!  AAAHHHH!  

Sorry, it is that time of the month again (gun magazine depletion).
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I completely agree with Paul.  [;)]
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Hear Hear Paul!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
What the hell is this, "For Law Enforcement Or Government Use Only" on my Bushmaster M4 Carbine, lol, same thing with my some of my mags.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe the side of the Colt M4 reciever reads:

RESTRICTED
          MILITARY/GOVERNMENT
         LAW ENFORCEMENT/EXPORT
               USE ONLY

Or, at least mine does.

Hey, who's that knocking on my door?
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By operator error:
I believe the side of the Colt M4 reciever reads:

RESTRICTED
          MILITARY/GOVERNMENT
         LAW ENFORCEMENT/EXPORT
               USE ONLY

Or, at least mine does.

Hey, who's that knocking on my door?
View Quote

Does your phone make clicking noises too?
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#9]
And it´s very hard to spot that van with darkened windows parked in front of your house.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
So if I enforce the law I can buy these items right?

I AM THE LAW!

Lets see it's also a government for the people by the people and of the people?
Therefore:

I AM THE GOEVERNMENT!

Now gimme my goodies dagnabit!
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
The police are far better trained then we are and we are far better off with them having these devices on their rifles.
View Quote

DC police were recently required to rely on their vast experience and training during a sting operation on the city's metro transportation system.  The target was a 12-year-old girl.  The crime: eating french fries on the metro.  After leading her away in handcuffs her shoestrings were removed to prevent her from committing suicide.  The chief of police said he considered this serious matter.  I guess the gun control laws in DC are working.  

Eddie
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Stubbs,

Yes, it does!

How did you know!?!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Paul,  are you related to Imbrog|io?   You guys have the same knack for the, um, 'other' point of view....

You do a great impression of the OPFOR reasoning.  Or maybe I shouldn't use a term ordinarily applied to good guys who just play the bad guy role.

[red]p.r.k.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Paul,  are you related to Imbrog|io?
View Quote

As someone who has met them both, No. Paul and "Imbroglio" are NOTHING alike.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to speculate that lots of people wanted to do an AR-15/M-16 piece, but the LaPierre / Heston pack were wetting their pants over the P.R. "problem" it would create, and so they insisted it had to be served up in a law enforcement context, as opposed to having "civilian" ownership.  What a load of bullcrap.

I renewed my membership in NRA, but only because they are big and marginally effective.  I'm sending 4 times the money to GOA, and 8 times the money to a state organization.  Now I just need to do a Neal Knox search....
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 2:00:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rifles aren't labeled as "LEO Only" due to NFA laws, but because of the 94 Krime Bill.  LEO rifles can have "pre-ban" features, but are heavily restricted, and must be marked.

-Troy
View Quote
And what intelligent civilian would buy one, knowing that when he retires, or changes jobs, he has to sell it?  Actually, the only feature my LEO Bushy has that I really need, is the collapsible stock, to fit in the rack in the Blazer.  I may get to keep my Glock, and its LEO  Hi-cap mags, if I stick it out for 20, as my Dept will "present" that to me on retirement.  At present(Unless common sense prevails, and the regs and laws are changed) there is NO provision for retaining LE-restricted privately purchased arms on retirement.  I may save a few bucks over a pre-ban, but I can't keep it.[pissed]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 2:13:50 AM EDT
[#17]
You said it prk. I'm still a member too,but lately I think think thet're getting a little to pc. The only $$ I've gave this year went to GOA and 2nd Admendment Foundation. Most of their mailers go into the trash or just lay around unopened. I get tired of recieving my issue of "American Rifleman" and never finding one damn article about guns that has any interest to me(except legislative alerts, etc.).

The first thing I thought when I saw the cover was cool, finally some articles for us  politiacally incorrect gunowners, then I looked closer and seen  "Special Law Enforcement Issue". Felt like a slap in the face. It's as if us civie owners of like weapons are an embarrassement to them at times.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what they do for the cause, I just wish they didn't make me feel so disinfranchised so much.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 2:33:00 AM EDT
[#18]
TacCar/prk,

My feelings exactly. They preach protecting the 2nd and do a PR piece a "Special Law Enforcement Issue". LaPierre & Heston need to get a set of balls....

Just another kick in head......

I keep my membership up just because they are the "biggest game in town", but the GOA gets the bulk of my contributions...

Later,
Dan Tucker
Upstate NY
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 3:32:00 AM EDT
[#19]
My reaction to the cover was the same. "Hey, all right, AR-15." Then after a closer look, "Might have known, JERKS!"

Aren't they clever? Something besides a lever-action rifle for a change, but they wrap it in the LEO BS. I don't see the need. I guess I'm not clever enough.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 4:50:38 AM EDT
[#20]
What makes government officials so special that they can possess illegal weapons?

If no civilians can possess these weapons why do government officials need them?

Callahan44m you said it.  As long as you are a government official you can possess illegal weapons but the minute you lose your 'government official' status you lose your 'right' to possess those weapons.

Not a slam on LEOs just a what’s good for the goose is good for the gander thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:10:52 AM EDT
[#21]
You know perhaps the group purchase AR15 should have the words "not authorized for government use" on the side of it.... ;) ;)
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I guess some of you folks missed the write ups on BM and RRA ARs in the American Rifleman. How long have you been NRA members, a couple of months?
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I was recieving "Americas first freedom" which I liked alot but decided to try out "American Rifleman"  When I opened the mailbox and saw the cover, I thought to myself "YEAH!!!"...  Nice suprise.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I've also been seeing these rubber doohickeys on the bottom of the magazines in AR photos.  I guess they allow for a quick removal of the mag.  Anyone have any info on these?  Good/bad, where do you get them?

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I like the OLD nra Circa 1970-1980's got a ton of American RifleMan one with the Calt ar15a2 on the back full page add One with the Randy Weaver Story in it etc. anyway me im not renewing am sticking with GOA. \
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#26]
How about a special "Resistance" issue with an AR stamped "For Militia Use Only?"

Maybe they will print one us after the UN Conference on Small Arms in July.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top