Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 10:52:35 PM EDT
I don't check the mail.  My wife does that chore.

Some fella stopped by with all the cards tags and was very polite asking if I received my survey.  I said that I did not and what did he want.

He said that he worked for the cencus bureau and they were conducting targeted surveys to study household costs, including utilities, mortgage payments, amount borrowed etc.

I had a sick daughter home at the time and said you need to come back at another time.  He handed me a paper that had all the questions on it and said that he would contact me.

Now he called me on my cell, which like an idiot I gave him the number (sleep deprived rest of family was away not thinking and a work phone)  so I told him to come by tomorrow.

I think that I am going to have him sit on the porch and plead the 5th to any question.  Anyone heard of this?

BTW I do have his card and it is a Census worker out  of Denver.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
"Am I being detained?"
"Am I free to go?"
Hide dag, et. al.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I received one a while back. Threw it away. Never did see or hear from any census workers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I received one a while back. Threw it away. Never did see or hear from any census workers.

View Quote

Wonder why they decided to come by my house.  Must be on to many lists.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:00:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Got one several years ago.  Threw it out.  Got another.  Threw it out.  Man came to house (was actually walking up my steps just as we were pulling in) and I told him I was busy.  He came back, I said not interested.  He got pushy.  I bladed at 45.  He left.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The Census does these type of thing between the 10 uear census. Community Surveys Housing, Labor; Employment etc.

It's actually pretty useful data that I've used in recent years in Higher Ed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's not certified, they can't prove you got it.

Don't answer the door for people you don't recognize.

Profit?

Also, giving out your cell phone number is a fail.  Tell them to mail you something and shut the door.  Then see step one above.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Is your basement soundproof?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Prepare your anus.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The Census does these type of thing between the 10 uear census. Community Surveys Housing, Labor; Employment etc.

View Quote

Lot's of things can be useful but that doesn't make it right.  The police could search everyone's home once a week, it would be useful into finding all sorts of criminal activity.

Since you seem a fan of it, how about posting your information here:

Name

Address

What time you leave for work

How many miles you drive to work

What route you take to work

How many hours a week you work

Every mental illness that you have

Demanding answers to questions like that is not something the government should be doing and it is none of their business.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I too am on their list some how. Every two years or so they'd show up, call my landline, send mailings. Pretty much would forget about them after throwing out the mailings and erasing the calls on my answering machine. Got rather gruff with them last week when I actually answered the door when they were pounding on it. Told them I would not answer their questions, to go find someone else for their survey, and shut the door in the person's face as they started to bitch back at me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lot's of things can be useful but that doesn't make it right.  The police could search everyone's home once a week, it would be useful into finding all sorts of criminal activity.

Name
Address

Demanding answers to questions like that is not something the government should be doing and it is none of their business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Name
Address

I never said it was "right". The 10 year census is good enough, and Constitutional.

I was just pointing out that the data CAN be useful. An example: using labor market and employment data, I was able to help end useless technical programs at the college and begin to narrow down useful program areas that would better train students wih useful skillsets for jobs that were actually available and trending upward in the area.

Doesn't make me a "fan". Just someone who has used the data and found it useful for saving taxpayer money and helping people become employable.

I am concerned about potential nefarious uses, however.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Fill it out, or interview.

Insist you are a black-hispanic-american indian. They wouldn't dare dispute what race you are.

Know that they'll be less interested in your neighborhood when the HUD gets around to trying their "national neighborhood race integration plan".

Or just ignore them or tell him to ask the NSA for your file.

They got someone from DENVER to Texas for this?  Couldn't hire some unskilled lackey from the local area?  What a goddamn waste of money....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top