Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 10/6/2014 7:31:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 7:38:07 AM EST by whollyshite]
This story appears to have more twists than first suspected...

American Held by ISIS Says He Is ‘Pretty Scared to Die’

Days after the apparent beheading of a British hostage held by Sunni militants in Syria, the parents of a 26-year-old American similarly threatened have released parts of a letter from him in which he says he is “obviously pretty scared to die.”

But the American, Abdul-Rahman Kassig, an aid worker and medic who converted to Islam last year, said in the letter, released late Sunday, that “the hardest part is not knowing, wondering, hoping and wondering if I should even hope at all.”

The letter was said to have been dated June 2, more than two months before the militants first claimed publicly in August to have decapitated a Western captive, the American journalist James Foley.

In a statement accompanying the portions of the letter they released, Ed and Paula Kassig of Indianapolis, the captive’s parents, urged people to refer to their son by the name he adopted upon converting to Islam, Abdul-Rahman, and not by his birth name, Peter.

The parents have said that their son spent “a brief time in the U.S. military” before traveling to Lebanon in 2012 on spring break from college “to work there as a medic and humanitarian worker.”

In his letter, Mr. Kassig wrote: “I am very sad that all this has happened and for what all of you back home are going through. If I do die, I figure that at least you and I can seek refuge and comfort in knowing that I went out as a result of trying to alleviate suffering and helping those in need.”
View Quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/07/world/middleeast/american-held-by-isis-says-he-is-pretty-scared-to-die.html?action=click&contentCollection=Middle%20East®ion=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

Granted, this could be coersion due to his current situation, but I'm curious to know more about his history....
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:37:57 AM EST
Wasn't this the dude who was supposed to have been a Ranger but got out after 3 years as an E3?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:39:16 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DirtyDon:
Wasn't this the dude who was supposed to have been a Ranger but got out after 3 years as an E3?
View Quote
Yup, supposedly he is "medically" retired from the US ARMY.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:39:53 AM EST
View Quote

Not sure. I haven't followed this as closely due to other issues. I heard he was a Ranger, so it is the same guy. Has more come out that I've missed?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:49:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By soldier65:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By soldier65:

But still an E3 after 3 years? Something seems off. I've guessing that it's the media not having their facts straight, but the dude converting to Islam is questionable. Maybe it was a choice of convert or die.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:57:17 AM EST
Something definitely smells funny....
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:59:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 8:01:04 AM EST by tisfortexas]
Kassig served in the Army from June 2006 and September 2007. He was a member of the 75th Ranger regiment and served four months in Iraq in 2007 before being medically discharged at the rank of private first class in September of that year. foxnews

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/06/parents-ex-army-ranger-held-by-isis-release-letter-written-by-son/
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:01:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By destaccado:
Something definitely smells funny....
View Quote

Its the ham. It went bad. We need to mail it to the IS fucks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:04:54 AM EST
I'm pretty sure I would pray to whomever or whatever a person told me to to prevent my head from being cut off with a dull knife.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:07:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 8:09:37 AM EST by ftlaudmike]
fuck him, convert to a religion that wants to kill you, stupid fuck
ETA: not sure I'm reading it correctly, he converted after being abducted? Still stupid for even being there, but less stupid than original premise
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:08:35 AM EST
Am I still supposed to care that a former Ranger who converted to Islam went and got himself captured? Didn't care when the story came out, certainly don't care now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:11:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By tisfortexas:
Kassig served in the Army from June 2006 and September 2007. He was a member of the 75th Ranger regiment and served four months in Iraq in 2007 before being medically discharged at the rank of private first class in September of that year. foxnews

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/06/parents-ex-army-ranger-held-by-isis-release-letter-written-by-son/
View Quote

That's interesting. Served just over a year and at least part of that was in Iraq. I understand that the Regiment does shorter deployments than standard units, but more frequent. Is that correct? So, he was likely in Iraq for what? 6 months or so?

Also, my understanding is that to make to the Regiment you complete selection and then upon making it in they later will send you to Range School. So, is it possible even though he was in the Regiment he never completed Ranger School?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:31:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 8:31:30 AM EST by Bettendorf]
Originally Posted By SilentType:

That's interesting. Served just over a year and at least part of that was in Iraq. I understand that the Regiment does shorter deployments than standard units, but more frequent. Is that correct? So, he was likely in Iraq for what? 6 months or so?

Also, my understanding is that to make to the Regiment you complete selection and then upon making it in they later will send you to Range School. So, is it possible even though he was in the Regiment he never completed Ranger School?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SilentType:
Originally Posted By tisfortexas:

Yes, shorter deployments. Maybe 4 to 6 months.

Not everyone in Ranger Reg. has attended Ranger School. Most likely this genius didn't attend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:38:47 AM EST
Fox showed a clip of his parents this morning. His mom was wearing a hijab, looking down and didn't say anything.

Based on what little we know right now, even if he made a stupid decision fuck IS for what they're going to do to him.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:45:25 AM EST
In his situation I might convert to RoP too. This guy is just trying to stay alive, don't blame him for the situation he is in, we don't know the choices he's had to make.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:46:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By 74novaman:
Fox showed a clip of his parents this morning. His mom was wearing a hijab, looking down and didn't say anything.

Based on what little we know right now, even if he made a stupid decision fuck IS for what they're going to do to him.

View Quote

Trying to kiss ass so maybe they'll let him live. It's a better tactic than relying on zero.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:49:51 AM EST
Matthew 10:33
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:51:05 AM EST
Muslim convert?

My giveafucko-meter is pegged at zero.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:53:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 8:55:40 AM EST by CJ7365]
I have to agree with this
Originally Posted By ftlaudmike:
fuck him, convert to a religion that wants to kill you, stupid fuck
ETA: not sure I'm reading it correctly, he converted after being abducted? Still stupid for even being there, but less stupid than original premise
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:53:24 AM EST
See guys; all we have to do is convert....the conversion saved him!....oh wait..
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:56:05 AM EST
Cory Jackson?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:16:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By Tyrendeth:
View Quote

That's not good for him in the long run (like when they kill him in a week or so).
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:24:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By runfrumu:
I'm pretty sure I would pray to whomever or whatever a person told me to to prevent my head from being cut off with a dull knife.

View Quote

No kidding. I'd be the most Islamic sonofabitch they'd ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:26:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 9:32:49 AM EST by 4thUSMC]
The way his mother had to wear a head covering to make herself beholden to islam made me sick.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:27:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 9:30:05 AM EST by _DR]
Originally Posted By Zenfoldor:
In his situation I might convert to RoP too. This guy is just trying to stay alive, don't blame him for the situation he is in, we don't know the choices he's had to make.
View Quote

Prisoners of war in Viet Nam and Desert Storm would read prepared statements while filmed, all under duress, so yeah. You do what you have to do to survive, short of actively fighting with the enemy. One pilot captured during Desert Storm actually blinked "Torture" in morse code with his eyelids while reading his statement.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:28:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 9:30:31 AM EST by _DR]

Trying to kiss ass so maybe they'll let him live. It's a better tactic than relying on zero.
View All Quotes

Probably won't work though. They scumbags need to behead someone on film.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:30:24 AM EST
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:31:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 9:34:38 AM EST by _DR]
Originally Posted By JasonK94Z:

This!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JasonK94Z:

This!

Sure, but he didn't say he wasn't an atheist or agnostic already, he may have already denied Christ.

I would like to think I would have the strength to proclaim Jesus as the Son of God when they offered either islam or death, however the reality is none of us knows what we will do when faced with death.

Look at Peter, he denied Christ 3 times before the dawn, yet he was forgiven when he repented.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:37:52 AM EST
He converted to Islam and not says he's "wondering, hoping and wondering if he should even hope at all"? Pretty bad Muslim , because that's the 100% no hope religion of "Inshallah". Whatever happens is Allah's will, you take what you get and don't bother hoping for anything better.

Dude needs to be a good Muslim and go quietly to his death at the hands of the barbarians that Allah obviously wills him to die at the hands of.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:38:58 AM EST
I'd expect a little more from a Ranger. Unless he's got something planned for when he's wearing the orange scrubs as the camera is rolling.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:52:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:
The way his mother had to wear a head covering to make herself beholden to islam made me sick.
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:55:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 11:55:11 AM EST by 74novaman]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Prisoners of war in Viet Nam and Desert Storm would read prepared statements while filmed, all under duress, so yeah. You do what you have to do to survive, short of actively fighting with the enemy. One pilot captured during Desert Storm actually blinked "Torture" in morse code with his eyelids while reading his statement.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _DR:

It may have happened in Desert Storm, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the recently deceased Rear Adm J Denton, who blinked out t-o-r-t-u-r-e while talking during an interview after being captured in Vietnam.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:07:37 PM EST

View Quote

I just saw that on Fox.

WTF

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:08:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2014 12:08:30 PM EST by glockluv]
Originally Posted By amos1909:
Yep
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By amos1909:
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:
Yep

It's sad more people don't have the same reaction.

I know my folks (who go to Church every Sunday) would do it in a second if they were in the same situaiton.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:08:38 PM EST
if I had converted to Islam, I'd be scared to die too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:29:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ecarl4100:

That's not good for him in the long run (like when they kill him in a week or so).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ecarl4100:

It depends on your definition of "long run."
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:23:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By glklvr:
if I had converted to Islam, I'd be scared to die too.
View Quote

But why ? you would get 72 virgins. Seventy fucking two. Think of all the secks
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:26:58 PM EST
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:37:03 PM EST

View Quote

It won't prevent dick.

Once they've got you, you're as good as dead. Do you want to die a simpering convert or go out with your boots on?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:48:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By motown_steve:

It won't prevent dick.

Once they've got you, you're as good as dead. Do you want to die a simpering convert or go out with your boots on?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By motown_steve:

It won't prevent dick.

There are nations who have in the past routinely paid ransom to ensure they're citizens aren't being publicly beheaded.

You're only dead if they can't reach an agreement.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:04:08 PM EST
I just don't understand how these guys can sit there and allow their heads to be sawed off with a knife. If it were me I would be so resistive they would have to shoot me first.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:13:59 PM EST
Don't really blame the parents for groveling. He's their boy, after all.

Still, their appeal has ZERO chance of saving his life. He's a dead man walking.
Top Top