Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 1:43:44 PM EDT
I don't know if this book has been brought up before, but I just finished reading it and give it a big thumbs up. It gives you a better understanding of what is going on with the war on terrorism. This book also gives some of the best answers I've heard for some of the things we have done in the war. It put's the Bush administration in a whole new light. George W is definately a smart man and has long term goals that make alot of sense. You won't hear much of what is in this book coming from the media elite. I know arfcom has it's share of knuckledragger's, but for you guy's that read it's a +1.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the authors background/credentials?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

From the jacket.

George Friedman is the founder and chairman of Stratfor. The leading private intelligence company. Friedman is the author of four books and numerous articles on national security, warfare and the intelligence business. A nationally recognized expert on intelligence and international geopolitics. He has appeared on all the major television networks and has been featured along with Stratfor in such national publications as Time, Barron's, the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times Magazine.

I had never heard of him and picked the book up on a whim.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I appreciate it.  I just may go out and check this one out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the jacket.

George Friedman is the founder and chairman of Stratfor. The leading private intelligence company. Friedman is the author of four books and numerous articles on national security, warfare and the intelligence business. A nationally recognized expert on intelligence and international geopolitics. He has appeared on all the major television networks and has been featured along with Stratfor in such national publications as Time, Barron's, the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times Magazine.

I had never heard of him and picked the book up on a whim.

I might pick it up, but I've been pretty unimpressed with Stratfor.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw him talk on C-Span's Book TV.  He explained the invasion of Iraq as an oblique threat to the Saudi Arabians that their rule could be as easily overthrown if they continue funding terrorism, and we used Iraq as an example.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I saw him talk on C-Span's Book TV.  He explained the invasion of Iraq as an oblique threat to the Saudi Arabians that their rule could be as easily overthrown if they continue funding terrorism, and we used Iraq as an example.

His book doe's a good job explaining alot of the benefits of invading Iraq. I didn't realize how much the Saudi's had to do with things. There are six countries that surround Iraq. The invasion of Iraq is more about influence in the middle east than WMD's, but it's hard to invade a country under the banner of influence than WMD's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think the next time there is an Islamic terrorist attack anywhere in the world killing Americans, we should drop a very large bomb on the Royal Saudi family quarters.

Worked with Libya.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I've read it and I agree; it's a good read.
I'd also recommend: Imperial Hubris, by Mike Scheuer and Militant Islam Reaches America by Dan Pipes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

His book doe's a good job explaining alot of the benefits of invading Iraq. I didn't realize how much the Saudi's had to do with things. There are six countries that surround Iraq. The invasion of Iraq is more about influence in the middle east than WMD's, but it's hard to invade a country under the banner of influence than WMD's.

Wow, OK, now I'm definitely going to pick it up.  That's the argument I've been making since the beginning.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd also recommend: Imperial Hubris, by Mike Scheuer

That guy is a fucking idiot
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd also recommend: Imperial Hubris, by Mike Scheuer and Militant Islam Reaches America by Dan Pipes.

Are those good books?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top