Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 12/28/2003 3:30:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 3:41:39 PM EDT by LocknLoaded]
I found a very good read On the ambush in somolia! veiws from different sides.

Interview from captain Haad.

Even Small boys would not have acted the way the americans acted.

www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/ambush/interviews/haad.html
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:46:30 PM EDT
That episode of Frontline was incredible. Frontline consistently produces amazing television.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:52:50 PM EDT
there were another one where she said they welcomed americans. adid new everything the americans did even when they took a shit! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:36:48 PM EDT
He's full of shit. EVERY report I've read or heard says we whacked between 1,000-1,500 of the bastards. And yes, I'm counting "civilians" too. "Civilians" shooting at you aren't "civilians" anymore and have it coming (reference Iraq, also). Those women and children spreading sheets (WTF?) for cover were also combatants by taking part. Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:39:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ABNAK: He's full of shit. EVERY report I've read or heard says we whacked between 1,000-1,500 of the bastards. And yes, I'm counting "civilians" too. "Civilians" shooting at you aren't "civilians" anymore and have it coming (reference Iraq, also). Those women and children spreading sheets (WTF?) for cover were also combatants by taking part. Fuck 'em.
View Quote
I found that to be intertaining too!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:05:30 PM EDT
How can anyone bitch about civilian deaths when he even admitted that women and children were used to cover those that were shooting at the helicopters?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:23:07 PM EDT
I'm pretty sure that's the same documentary that's on disc three of the Blackhawk Down special edition.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:28:27 PM EDT
The whole thing was a Clinton and Pentagon screw-up. The co-presidency (Hillary and Billy) both hated the military. Underfunded and only fought because of the media, the CO's never got what they asked for. I watched that filthy bitch shake the hands of our boys in uniform and I wanted to puke. That war or whatever you call it should have been a chip shot. God Bless George Bush and please give him another 4 years...
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:52:35 PM EDT
Interesting read. It is always useful to know how the enemy thinks. Thanks for the link. It would seem we really have no allies, especially in Europe. I hope our politicians are realistic in their assessment of our alliances. We should've let them all starve. I always called Somalia George Bush's little going away present for the Clintons[:)]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:55:10 PM EDT
About 12 o'clock midnight, the Americans were trying to drop munitions in for the American troops on the ground, and we snatched those from them and started fighting them with their own ammunition
View Quote
Yeah, they must have those special AK-47s that fire 7.62 and 5.56 ammo [whacko]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:20:23 PM EDT
Each bullet the Americans fired could kill 4,5 or 6 people? I thought we were complaining because it wouldn't stop one person with a torso hit...
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:42:04 PM EDT
Wonder if he was one of those courageous fighters gunning down folks at the food distribution sites? Wonder how those kids who were jumping on the bodies of our fallen are eating these days? Fugemall!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:58:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Railman44: The whole thing was a Clinton and Pentagon screw-up. The co-presidency (Hillary and Billy) both hated the military.
View Quote
But we couldn't have won in Iraq in 3 mos. if not for that wonderful Clinton military!!! [puke]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:07:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ABNAK: He's full of shit. EVERY report I've read or heard says we whacked between 1,000-1,500 of the bastards. And yes, I'm counting "civilians" too. "Civilians" shooting at you aren't "civilians" anymore and have it coming (reference Iraq, also). Those women and children spreading sheets (WTF?) for cover were also combatants by taking part. Fuck 'em.
View Quote
100-200 'regular' milita troops 800-1300 'irregular' forces (i.e. local citizens with personal weapons)... Possible, however unlikely...
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:11:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SNorman:
About 12 o'clock midnight, the Americans were trying to drop munitions in for the American troops on the ground, and we snatched those from them and started fighting them with their own ammunition
View Quote
View Quote
Grenades... .308 & .50cal weapons (Remember, the African nations had no shortage of FN-FALs, MAG58s, and other leftovers from their former colonial overlords)... Of course, nothing I'd heard before mentions supply drops...
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:32:39 PM EDT
They should have been authorized an AC-130 Gunship for the mission like they had wanted. It would have saved American lives. [img]http://www.af.mil/media/photodb/web/web_030128-O-9999J-028.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:34:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dave_A:
Originally Posted By SNorman:
View Quote
View Quote
Grenades... .308 & .50cal weapons (Remember, the African nations had no shortage of FN-FALs, MAG58s, and other leftovers from their former colonial overlords)... Of course, nothing I'd heard before mentions supply drops...
View Quote
I remember it from the book. Except I don't remember the skinnies using the ammo against U.S. troops. Maybe there was just no mention of it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 7:48:59 PM EDT by Rabid_Coyote]
There were plenty of 5.56mm weapons in the hands of Somali militia men. I've personally handled several M16A1 rifles with US Govt property stamps that we confiscated in Somalia. Remember that Somalia was a US client state at certain phases of the cold war. The most common weapons were all varieties of 7.62 AKs (no 74s), followed up by G3s( some HK-21s) and then assorted everything: a fair number of '16A1s, I saw a couple of Galils, a BM-59 and a few old bolt guns, just all manner of stuff from all over the world. There was a collection point at the Mogadishu airport and another one at Baledogle Airfield. They had tons of confiscated weapons, cool stuff like AK variants that you don't see in the books. The collection point at Baledogle even had a bright red CJ-7 with a 106mm recoilless rifle mounted in the back that had been picked up by (IIRC) 87th Infantry from 10th Mtn. There was much, much cool shit in circulation over there. Not just AKs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:41:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:50:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Garryowen: we won that fight...pure and simple... They should just thank what-ever God they pray to, that we didn't let the Ranger Batt. go back and police up what they left behind. We lost some good men, but the "Skinny's" paid a butchers bill for it...
View Quote
Well said.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:20:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
Originally Posted By Garryowen: we won that fight...pure and simple... They should just thank what-ever God they pray to, that we didn't let the Ranger Batt. go back and police up what they left behind. We lost some good men, but the "Skinny's" paid a butchers bill for it...
View Quote
Well said.
View Quote
Yep. Losing 18 of our men was awful, but considering it was a straight-up fight without armor, we kicked some serious Somali ass. I've read some accounts that the Rangers (no slouches themselves) were shocked at how adept the D-Boys were at killing the enemy. Kinda puts a grin on your face when you think about it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:39:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin: Kinda puts a grin on your face when you think about it.
View Quote
Indeed it does. As bad an idea as it was to send troops from a nation where life is valued the most to try and nation-build in a place where life is valued the least, Task Force Ranger educated the skinnies on what a small group of well trained, dedicated, esprit de corps-having fellows can do when the chips are down (sorry for the french). They owned the skinnies in their own house. As much an advantage as gunships and NODs give a combatant force, the technology aspect falls far short in explaining the beating that TFR gave the skinnies that day and night. It was precisely the value that the Rangers, Delta troops and 160th SOAR pilots and crew put on each other's lives and their own honor that made them fight as hard as they did for as long as they did against the overwhelming odds that they faced, to their everlasting credit and acclaim.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:49:53 AM EDT
The guy in the article sounded like he's still chewing khat. Our men handed the Somalis their butts on a platter.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:59:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22: Indeed it does. As bad an idea as it was to send troops from a nation where life is valued the most to try and nation-build in a place where life is valued the least, Task Force Ranger educated the skinnies on what a small group of well trained, dedicated, esprit de corps-having fellows can do when the chips are down (sorry for the french). They owned the skinnies in their own house. As much an advantage as gunships and NODs give a combatant force, the technology aspect falls far short in explaining the beating that TFR gave the skinnies that day and night. It was precisely the value that the Rangers, Delta troops and 160th SOAR pilots and crew put on each other's lives and their own honor that made them fight as hard as they did for as long as they did against the overwhelming odds that they faced, to their everlasting credit and acclaim.
View Quote
Bravo, Jarhead. Bravo.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:36:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:39:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EricTheHun: Yes, indeed, the same Clinton Administration that thought sending any armor at all to Somalia would be 'too militaristic' found no problem whatsoever in sending Bradleys and other armored vehicles to some church property in Central Texas! May those Clintonista bastids roast in Hell! Eric The(WiseBeyondHisEars)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
And I read that it was Wes Clark who commanded Fort Hood at the time and provided the armor.
Top Top