Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2001 6:20:40 PM EDT
My kimber (ultra eclipse) has the ambi safety.  Waiting for holster to come in.  Intend to practice a long time with it (holster and gun)before it becomes my primary carry.  Question though, is the ambi safety really a good idea on a 1911 for conceal carry?  I'm right handed, and I can't help but wonder with the right side of the safety exposed, won't that increase the odds of it "accidently" knocking the safety off?  Any feedback would be appreciative.  thks
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Always a good idea to practice with your weak hand; ambi safety would help.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The ambi-safety makes the pistol fatter.  It's unneccessary in my opinion!

DaMan
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got Kimbers with and without the ambi safety. Personally, I agree with your veiw that they are a means of inadvertently disengaging the safety during carry. Consider this though, the gun still has a grip safety and is hopefully in a quality hip holster that covers the trigger gaurd, you should still be fine. Most accidents are caused because someone pulled the trigger!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Everything I have read said the ambi safty is a big no no for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 1911 with an ambi on it.  I have no problems with it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
ipchoser1, I agree with you're point on the grip safety and trigger being non exposed while in the holster.  Malpaso, also agree on benefit with the practice on the weak hand.  My friend had mentioned that the ambi was a big no-no for safety reasons and I was trying to figure out why.  Realistically, even if the safety is off before you draw, you're finger isn't on the trigger until your ready to shoot.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
... funny thing, I've always been trained to shoot weak handed as well as strong.

... but I cannot think of of time it would be necessary to take the safety off if your strong hand was disabled. Worst comes to worst, disengage with your index finger. Oh well.

... things that make you go humph?

... Both my 1911 carry weapons and racegun have 'em though
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The ambi-safety makes the pistol fatter.  It's unneccessary in my opinion!

DaMan
View Quote

UNLESS YOU'RE LEFT HANDED!!! [:(!]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]
An ambi-safety is worthless on the a CCW..

Reason, most holsters with thumb safety's will un-safe your weapon while wearing it and most open top holsters allow for everything to brush against the ambi---unsafing it.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
An ambi-safety is worthless on the a CCW..

Reason, most holsters with thumb safety's will un-safe your weapon while wearing it and most open top holsters allow for everything to brush against the ambi---unsafing it.

View Quote

Only if you're fat and wear your gun like a "cowboy"[:)]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I've carried a 1911 almost everyday for years.It has a ambi and it never was swept off.Most of the time it was in a left handed Bruce Nelson summer special.Since he passed you can no longer get one.however Milt Sparks makes the same holster plus others.The 1911 with ambi is still thinner than most serious pistols.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I have custom eclipse, sweet gun, love those adjustable nightsights! Kind of a gay name (eclipse?) though.

have had no problems with the ambi safety with several types of IDPA approved holsters. However, that is just with range wear. Here in the PR of MO we are not permitted CCW. One day I'll move to a free state, and may have to change it or grind it a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top