Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 4:45:18 PM EDT
Pic of Qually United

linky

$15

Reviews are good, but then again I doubt most folks there know the diff between BBQ and grilling.  If you have it, will you buy it again if it ever needs replacing?

Mmmm, BBQ

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never used it.  I use a pumice stone, because those little steel hairs break off and hurt when I bite into them.
View Quote

This would be my concern too about the bristles breaking or falling off, ending up in food, then in your stomach. I don't use any brush anymore, I take the grate out and use the power washer.

"This week, a woman in Connecticut needed emergency surgery to remove a wire barbecue brush bristle from her digestive tract -- and doctors say she's not the first. Cheryl Harrison of Wallingford, Connecticut, was rushed to the hospital by her husband after feeling a sharp and unusual pain in her stomach."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/grill-barbecue-metal-brush-dangers/

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Never used it.  I use a pumice stone, because those little steel hairs break off and hurt when I bite into them.
View Quote

I switched to using a 6"x6" piece of chain mail held with stainless tongs for the same reason. I didn't bite the damn bristle but a guest did and then the very next day I read a story on one of the BBQ forums about what can happen if you swallow a bristle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My neighbor was having terrible stomach pain.  Turns out he had a bristle from a grill brush stuck in his intestine.  When they went into take it out they found he had colon cancer.  He's fully recovered.  Maybe that grill brush saved his life.

True story, Bro.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one.  It's alright.  Really could benefit from a scraper though.  But for $15 it's a pretty good brush, bristles don't fall out of it with use like most do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the comments. I heard most of the bristle incidents are from cheaper brushes that have a wood handle and the brushes are just pressed in to small holes and they aren't very secure that way, hence my travels.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I got it on Amazon.  It is a very good brush.  I use it on cast iron grates.

Now you worriers have me a bit concerned.  I will pay more attention when I brush.  I wore my cheap brush down to a nub without managing to kill anyone.  I just got tired of the head insert falling out.

I use a blue scotchbrite pad and paper towels on  ceramic coated grates in my pellet grill.  Maybe I should start using that on my BBQ.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pic of Qually United

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81dbMO4mtWL._SL1500_.jpg

linky

$15

Reviews are good, but then again I doubt most folks there know the diff between BBQ and grilling.  If you have it, will you buy it again if it ever needs replacing?

Mmmm, BBQ

Thanks

View Quote

Looks like a toilet bowl cleaner .. id be afraid of the metal in food like others have said.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My neighbor was having terrible stomach pain.  Turns out he had a bristle from a grill brush stuck in his intestine.  When they went into take it out they found he had colon cancer.  He's fully recovered.  Maybe that grill brush saved his life.

True story, Bro.
View Quote

Freaky.  I am never using one of these things again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
It should be safe to use as long as you don't scrub too hard.

I have one, but almost never use it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]
OP - if you must get/use a brush, get this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-18-in-Grill-Brush-530-0039/206406015?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D28I-Grills|&gclid=COKP84HVoMwCFY9hfgodiNcKJw&gclsrc=aw.ds

They all get gross and nasty, and need to be thrown away and replaced after a while.
Don't bother with the silly gimmicky stuff.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP - if you must get/use a brush, get this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-18-in-Grill-Brush-530-0039/206406015?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D28I-Grills|&gclid=COKP84HVoMwCFY9hfgodiNcKJw&gclsrc=aw.ds

They all get gross and nasty, and need to be thrown away and replaced after a while.
Don't bother with the silly gimmicky stuff.

A.W.D.
View Quote

The bristle's fall out of that one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This would be my concern too about the bristles breaking or falling off, ending up in food, then in your stomach. I don't use any brush anymore, I take the grate out and use the power washer.

"This week, a woman in Connecticut needed emergency surgery to remove a wire barbecue brush bristle from her digestive tract -- and doctors say she's not the first. Cheryl Harrison of Wallingford, Connecticut, was rushed to the hospital by her husband after feeling a sharp and unusual pain in her stomach."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here pumice stone cheap and quicker/easier cleaning than brush.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks like it would scrub the shit out of a grill.

I'm ordering one as a backup for when my weber wears out.

Thanks, Op

Edit...now after reading this thread I'll be looking out for stray wire pieces after cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Im having a hard time understanding how you wouldnt noticed a bristle on your grate? once that fire gets hot enough would it not glow? or melt away?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Im having a hard time understanding how you wouldnt noticed a bristle on your grate? once that fire gets hot enough would it not glow? or melt away?
View Quote

Maybe not if you throw a big slab of meat on top of it and then it sticks to the meat
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I just use a 1 1/2" metal putty knife and scrape the gunk off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a stainless steel wire brush from the welding department of Home Depot and a Home Depot 14 in 1 paint scraper tool.
After I scrape and brush the grates I remove them from the BBQ and then I rinse them off and make sure that there are no bristles from the brush on them.
I dump the grill catch pan out.

You just have to do it right.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#19]
heat grill, use paper towel and olive oil, just wipe it down a couple times.

Clean and oiled, ready to cook.

(ceramic coated grates)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#20]
The cheap ones really do drop bristles.. My weber has a drippings catch tray, and when i used a cheap one this tray was full of bristles that kept poking me as i was cleaning it..

We bought a better quality brush and dont find the bristles anymore.. BUT i do sometimes use balled up aluminum foil to wipe it down before the food goes on

Brian
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#21]
the bristles will break off eventually and the thing will rust

I use a scrubbing pad like this

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I think I am going to approach this two ways, buy the brush but only use it to mainly detail the grills having scraped the crud off with a steel putty knife (thanks to someone). I need something more for everything BUT the grills, I should have mentioned that. Its a 20+ year old Webber that needs a good carbon scraping on the lid. Shits flaking off yo! It was my dads who used it for a least 10 yrs, I have had it nearly that and only had to replace an igniter (gasp), the grills themselves,  and the wood shelf. With some elbow grease it could pass for new, no shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top