Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 2:06:01 PM EDT
How do you like your .gov listening devise.  Just got off the phone with a guy that would ask anything except "Alexa, are you horny".  Damn thing seems cool.  Alexa, NIN, Hurt, played it.  Alexa, Johnny Cash, Hurt, played it.  Want.. other than the .gov listening in on my preps.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one, others great.  The timer feature makes it worth it alone.  

I don't shop with it, but the music is easy to use.

Ask her to spell "supercslafragilisticecpialadociiys."

Hilarious.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I use it to control my various Belkin Wemo light switches. I just say, "Alexa. Turn on the outside lights" and it's done.

You definitely want to go to the IFTTT.com page, and you'll find all sorts of ways to get your Echo to control and respond to lots of other actions.

If the .gov hears the music I listen to, I don't care.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I like mine, but I'm using it mostly for music. Easier than fiddling with my phone while I'm reading before bed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I enjoy mine. I look at it as more of a toy or music device, but it is pretty amazing how well the speech recognition works. It was worth the money IMO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it, but use it mostly for music and weather.

Alexa gets called a cunt a lot though when she's playing the " I don't understand you" card.

It needs a sleep timer function though.

Also asking the distance from your location to another city just gives you a generic distance and not route distance or driving time.

It needs more functionality before Google or apple make one and leave Echo in the dust.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting, but how much a month for the cloud service and music.If you want full functionality of the device how many different monthly bills come in ?
Is most of the stuff free ? I ask because while it seems cool as hell, I don't need more fucking bills every month.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting, but how much a month for the cloud service and music.If you want full functionality of the device how many different monthly bills come in ?Is most of the stuff free ? I ask because while it seems cool as hell, I don't need more fucking bills every month.
View Quote

There is just the purchase price. If you are an Amazon prime member, you get access to the prime music library. Otherwise, you have access to what you have uploaded to Amazon's cloud player. I also think you can access Pandora radio, but I haven't tried it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I love how people are welcoming spy tech into their lives--hell, they're lining up to pay for it.

FWIW, my Prime music streams through my cell phone to a BT player
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#11]
My lady friend has one (sorry, photos won't load). The cool thing, besides the timer and music mentioned, is the grocery list. You tell Alexa to add items to the shopping list, and she puts them on an app on your Iphone. You go to the grocery, look at your shopping list, check the items off, no problem. She bought a light switch for a hall lamp, and can turn the light on in her condo from the carport.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]
only thing that i hate about it is when a commercial for it comes on and mine starts to do what the commercial wants
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
only thing that i hate about it is when a commercial for it comes on and mine starts to do what the commercial wants
View Quote

That's not an accident, that's a trial run.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I love how people are welcoming spy tech into their lives--hell, they're lining up to pay for it.
View Quote
Says the guy on a social media site while using an unsecured electronic communication device

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Fucking skynet is almost self aware
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Can I somehow synce this with my fleshlight?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Posed the question to my wife.  She basically asked if it was useful.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use it to control my various Belkin Wemo light switches. I just say, "Alexa. Turn on the outside lights" and it's done.

You definitely want to go to the IFTTT.com page, and you'll find all sorts of ways to get your Echo to control and respond to lots of other actions.

If the .gov hears the music I listen to, I don't care.
View Quote

Tag! Thanks
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I sold it on ebay for a profit.   Didn't really see the point in it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#20]
LOL Mine's still in the box!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#21]
My brother in law has one and loves it. It has some cool functions, and I like adding random crap to their to do list and shopping list.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Alexa you're as useless as tits on a board"
"I am sorry to hear that"
View Quote

LOL That's funny but I'm laughing at the "useless as tits on a board"...it's "boar" (although tits on a board would be as equally useless!).
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#23]
What does it do that Siri can't?
Any significant benefit?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#24]
If you want to use a good radio playing device one word:

SONOS
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

SONOS
View Quote
I have one sitting next to my Echo.

SONOS has better sound, Echo is more convenient. I'm moving the Sonos out to the living room I think... now if Echo could control the Sonos, I'd be in hog heaven

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So people are crazy for letting a piece of spy equipment that only had wifi and bluetooth, and nothing but a single microphone to listen with, but you are wiser because you only use a device that has multiple microphones, multiple cameras capable of both video and still photography and that has a cellular connection, Wifi and Bluetooth, and has a documented history of being used and all of those features activated remotely by government agents?

Yeah, the Alexa is a clever ploy by the government to get a listening device into homes unnoticed, because there just isn't a common device that people are already carrying that would make a far better spy platform, and that people are already carrying everywhere they go.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, my Prime music streams through my cell phone to a BT player
So people are crazy for letting a piece of spy equipment that only had wifi and bluetooth, and nothing but a single microphone to listen with, but you are wiser because you only use a device that has multiple microphones, multiple cameras capable of both video and still photography and that has a cellular connection, Wifi and Bluetooth, and has a documented history of being used and all of those features activated remotely by government agents?

Yeah, the Alexa is a clever ploy by the government to get a listening device into homes unnoticed, because there just isn't a common device that people are already carrying that would make a far better spy platform, and that people are already carrying everywhere they go.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What does it do that Siri can't?
Any significant benefit?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

It's not apple faggotry?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Says the guy on a social media site about guns while using an unsecured electronic communication device

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Says the guy on a social media site about guns while using an unsecured electronic communication device

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY
In the General Discussion section....

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

SONOS
View Quote

$200?!?

I think I will stick to my cheap ass mp3 player and $20 set of walmart computer speakers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top