Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 8:16:47 AM EDT
12 year old Amana dryer doesn't start anymore.

When I push down on the dial to start the cycle, the dryer makes a sound like it is going to start, but when the dial is released, nothing happens.

Best way to describe it is turning the ignition on a car, hearing the starter motor crank, but the engine doesn't start.

Is this a big fix or small fix?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#1]
This happened to mine a few years ago.

I think by taking the back off, you expose a pretty large relay that switches the votage to the dryer.  The contacts were corroded and I cleaned them up.  No problem since then.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll try looking into that.  Thing is, I can hear the motor trying to start when I depress the timer dial, so I know the motor is getting power.

I checked the position of the tub before and after pressing the start button.  The tub is moving, but it seems labored.

I tried moving the tub with my hand and it doesn't turn easily.

Looking at some appliance forums, some people are saying to check the rollers or glides.  Does this sound right?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll try looking into that.  Thing is, I can hear the motor trying to start when I depress the timer dial, so I know the motor is getting power.

I checked the position of the tub before and after pressing the start button.  The tub is moving, but it seems labored.

I tried moving the tub with my hand and it doesn't turn easily.

Looking at some appliance forums, some people are saying to check the rollers or glides.  Does this sound right?

It wouldn't hurt and not all that hard to do. Just take it apart from the bottom up. The glides and pads go in the front on the bracket on either side where the drum is supported. The rollers are pretty obvious when you get it apart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top