Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 11:45:09 AM EDT
Here's the deal;

I live one county over from where I work. Last election cycle one of our Lt's ran for Sheriff where I live. I supported him openly, as did just about all the deputies on our Dept that live in this county. Our guy lost the election.
Some of the deputies that work here (where I live) have been making comments like "you guys better watch your backs driving through our county" and crap like that.

Today, while I am picking up my daughter from school, I get a call from ADT; my alarm is going off at the house. They said the Sheriff's office has been dispatched. An hour later, I get home. As I am unloading the girls, a deputy pulls up.... I know the guy, and he asks "everything ok?"

I tell him "Don't know, just got here."

He says "well, go ahead and check it out, I'll wait here"

I check house, all is well.

Here's what I am pissed about;
it took a solid hour for him to get to my house. Had there been an actual burglary, I would have been cleaned out.
When he did show up, he had one of their trustees in the back of the car, so now this scumbag knows where I live.
When he gets here, he doesn't do shit, just stands by his car.

All of this because I didn't vote for his corrupt boss? Are you kidding me?

Am I wrong to be pissed?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:54:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 12:02:20 PM EDT by SignManIam]
No..your not wrong but...and it's a big but..there's not a lot you can
do & if you did? that would made a bad scene  Worst..I'm sure
you agree. And if he was trying to get to you..don't
give the satisfaction of knowing it did. Like the guy said keep an eye on your 6.
Cause you know them ASSHOLES ain't going to!

Is nine5three your Badge #?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:58:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 11:59:09 AM EDT by jjc155]
I would be mad at the way he handled it.

But that is about the response time in our county too for an alarm. To many calls not enough people to prioritize property crimes too high.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the election or just a lazy cop.

ETA: just saw the part about the trustee and that would PISS ME THE F.... OFF! in an of itself.

J-

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:09:37 PM EDT
Check your IM
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:48:59 PM EDT
yes i would be a bit mad.  1st an hour for the alarm? unaccectable,  i don't know what dept they are  but our response time usually 3-6 mins. yes i know 90 % are false but its the other 10 % ,how many domestic incidents have you thought were alarms  and the victim triggered the alarm,anyway,,,,i'll wait here? hey pal get your $$^% out of the car and check the alarm,thats why you are paid,thats where my tax dollars are going ,you have body armor,radio,and gun,,and what you have your kids with you to check alarm????? not good
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:00:36 PM EDT
What the heck is this guy doing taking trustees to calls?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:19:44 PM EDT
Can you say for sure this guy made a long response because of who you supported for sheriff or is it assuming?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:24:11 PM EDT
The trustee in the car is the clue. They obviously didn't have enough people to dispatch someone to your house. When they found someone he was transporting the trustee and they figured it was better to send him than no one.

It is frustrating at times. I've heard "any unit available for report of gun fire at ..." Then repeated several times with no response. I'd have rather gone to the gun shot call, but was already up to my neck in alligators on a previous assignment.

BTW, does your jurisdiction charge for false alarms?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:24:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ironnewt:
What the heck is this guy doing taking trustees to calls?

I didnt say shit to him about taking so long and bringing a trustee to my house. He must have known I was less than happy though, as he volunteered this tid bit of information...

"Yeah man, when I got the call, I had the trustee at the doctors office, and you know, he was right in the middle of it. You know how that goes."

This is a very small dept in a very rural area. I dont expect 3-4 minute response times. but damn.

Side note..... One of my co workers that also lives in the same county as I do set his alarm off on purpose to see how long they would take. After waiting for 2 hours, he called the station and they said "he was dispatched at xxxx hrs, and arrived an hour later. Said he could not get out of the car due to two large dogs in the garage."
Problem is, this buddy has no dogs, and NO GARAGE!!!!

These guys know where most of us live. Hell, before the election we were all pretty friendly with one another. Now they wont even look us in the eyes.....sacks of shit.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:28:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 1:29:11 PM EDT by Nine5Three]
Originally Posted By hoglaw:
The trustee in the car is the clue. They obviously didn't have enough people to dispatch someone to your house. When they found someone he was transporting the trustee and they figured it was better to send him than no one.

It is frustrating at times. I've heard "any unit available for report of gun fire at ..." Then repeated several times with no response. I'd have rather gone to the gun shot call, but was already up to my neck in alligators on a previous assignment.

BTW, does your jurisdiction charge for false alarms?

I know what you're saying, but two things strike me as odd about this.

1. While I was coming through town I passed a store with a Deputy's car in front. It was in the city limits, and Deputies do not respond to calls in the city. Still, I realize it could have been business related.
2. To get to my house from where the Responding deputy was, he had to drive directly by the jail and the sheriff's office. Surely he could have dropped him off before coming to another officer's house, right?

ETA We don't charge for false alarms, and neither do they. Also, this was my second false alarm in 2 1/2 years.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:57:50 PM EDT
Come live in a big city. Those calls are broadcasted and cancelled.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:13:06 PM EDT
That's understood, but this isn't a big city. I am more pissed about the trustee being there than about the response time.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:45:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 5:47:21 PM EDT by ma96782]
Originally Posted By Nine5Three:
That's understood, but this isn't a big city. I am more pissed about the trustee being there than about the response time.

Unless he violated procedure I doubt that there is much use in making a stink over it.

And say that he dropped off the trustee first.   Then went to your alarm call.......how much longer would that take?  

You live in the country, you can choose to accept certain truths..........

That any call may take longer to get a car to.

That the "budget" may only go so far.  So, offciers may be in short supply.

That some folks can be petty about an election.

That some may have a very different attitude about how they do thier job.  In light of the "standards" that are enforced or not enforced.

Before I'd make a judgement about IF I was being, "singled out."  I'd want to KNOW what the other side had to say.

BTW........it's not really paranoia unless, they ARE trying to get you.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:06:44 AM EDT
Violated procedure?? yea i pull up to alarms all the time and tell the homeowner to check it out while i 'll wait in the patrol car .
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:56:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By nick22950:
Violated procedure?? yea i pull up to alarms all the time and tell the homeowner to check it out while i 'll wait in the patrol car .

OK, I spend alot of time with a large County SO, big city yes, wide open spaces, small town feel at times, yes.  Sometimes, ploicy goes out the window and you do what you got to do get the job done the best way you can.  

Just playing a little regulator here.   One way to look at it in a postive light.

*Deputy got there as quick as he could considering.

*He has a trustee in the back, not supposed to leave the car.

*Short handed, over budget, best the department could do.  Atleast he got there

*Probaly knew it would be a false alarm so risk  keeping the trustee and get there quick??....just in case SHTF???  Just get there quick.

*Gets there... .  False alarm or he is long gone. Either way, odds are its safe inside Your an LEO, its your house.  Your Turf, You know it.  You will know much faster if something is wrong or put of place.  You have the same training.  (I am assuming you are armed)  I got a prisoner/trustee and our radio.  I will watch.  You clear.    In that scenario, thst might very well be my logic too.

I guess  that was one way to look at it with a postive spin.  Then again, if a call came out for  alarm call at house that we knew was a fellow LEO  ( I am asssuing that you figured that knew it was yoru house)  we would haul ass even faster.   Anywhere from protecting a fellow brother who could be having a problem with an old POS to the fact that Officer could have alot of gear in the home you dont want getting out on to the streets.   I would be tempted to be pissed at the whole friggin shift becuase they couldnt (or wouldnt) send anyone else.

Either way, best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:39:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 7:51:43 AM EDT by ma96782]
Yes, I might have done it that way or maybe not.

Normally, having the homeowner do his own house check is not a good idea.

And normally, having the homeowner watch the "prisoner/trustee" is a bad idea too.  

However, the homeowner in this case is a PO. Does that mitigate the situation somewhat? Or maybe not?

Letting the call wait........until everything is PERFECT?

Humm.......making a decision?

Sometimes........right /wrong.......you'll never be able satisfy a critic.

Just like with the parents (and some other Depts. and LEOs) at Columbine HS. And in that case, the stakes were much higher.

Don't get me wrong.........I never said that you didn't have a RIGHT to be upset.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:51:54 PM EDT
1- he responded to the call , not suppose to get ot of the car with a trustee in it,,,well gee what was he gonna do at the call if the homeowner wasn't there,,oh pull up look at the house,,oh yea ok unfounded bye..... he was being lazy that all,,figured the call was an hour old all said and done,, leave the "trustee" in the car and check the alarm thats the right thing to do period. , im not going to pull up to anyones home weather they are on the job or not,and tell them to look for themselves while i wait,,,makes me,my dept look like a bunch of lazy empty  blue suits- no thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:05:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 3:05:36 PM EDT by PoopyPants603]
Originally Posted By Nine5Three:
Here's the deal;

I live one county over from where I work. Last election cycle one of our Lt's ran for Sheriff where I live. I supported him openly, as did just about all the deputies on our Dept that live in this county. Our guy lost the election.
Some of the deputies that work here (where I live) have been making comments like "you guys better watch your backs driving through our county" and crap like that.

Today, while I am picking up my daughter from school, I get a call from ADT; my alarm is going off at the house. They said the Sheriff's office has been dispatched. An hour later, I get home. As I am unloading the girls, a deputy pulls up.... I know the guy, and he asks "everything ok?"

I tell him "Don't know, just got here."

He says "well, go ahead and check it out, I'll wait here"

I check house, all is well.

it took a solid hour for him to get to my house. Had there been an actual burglary, I would have been cleaned out.
When he did show up, he had one of their trustees in the back of the car, so now this scumbag knows where I live.

Am I wrong to be pissed?

I would have had some words with the the Deputy.  Dumb shit took a criminal to your home.  The criminal then noticed your child too im sure.  Poor cop skills any way you look at it

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:48:24 PM EDT
To the critics..........

A taxpayer (or LEO) doesn't need vaildation on a fourm, to complain.

I can imagine that violation(s) of the Dept's policy have occured.

In the end.......what the responding officer will learn is..........

Next time, let the alarm keep ringing until 2 officer's are available to properly checkout the alarm.  Brother LEO or not.

I'm not saying that I would have done the same or different.

I've worked in the city and country under, "adverse conditions."

Not everything is always gonna get done in a PERFECTLY CORRECT WAY and sometimes the book gets put to the side.

IF you haven't.......then, it's no use trying to explain.

Aloha, Mark

Top Top