Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/29/2011 5:06:01 PM EDT
I just don't think the Python looks that great and I don't get the price.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:07:37 PM EDT
I like both, despite the different lines.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:08:54 PM EDT
I think that a nice blued Python is gorgeous, but I don't own one due to the price point.  Have a few S&W's that I like just fine, and that I can afford.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:16:50 PM EDT
I agree....I'm a Smith man when it comes to wheel guns
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:24:11 PM EDT
The Cult revolvers are downright ugly imo. The bluing is excellent, but the rest of the gun isn't even close.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:26:03 PM EDT
I love Smith revolvers, they are my favorite
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:35:47 PM EDT
One of my dream guns is a 4" blued Python.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:36:32 PM EDT
I love my S&W 6" 586. Comparing it side by side to my buddy's 6" python, I don't think it gives up much at all.

Maybe my judgement's screwed up though.... I love my GP100 4" stainless more than my S&W 586.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:36:48 PM EDT
The only Colt revolver that have is a SAA.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:37:15 PM EDT
There are two great names in revolvers. One is Smith and the other is Wesson.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:38:28 PM EDT
I have my late grandfather's 4" model 19 that he purchased new in 1960.  I can't say that I've had the pleasure of trying a Python, but the bluing and trigger on the Smith don't leave me wanting for anything...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:43:26 PM EDT
S&Ws have that classic revolver look.  Everybody's seen Dirty Harry and all the movies of the 50s, 60s, 70s.  If you picked up a comic book from the 1970s, the revolver in it would probably look like a model 19.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:54:29 PM EDT
The Colt Python looks so good, S&W had to make one of their own; the 586.

OK, it's possible there were other reasons why S&W chose to release a revolver with a ribbed barrel and a full length under lug in .357...

While I don't yet have a Python, I do have it's younger brother the King Cobra. I also have a no-dash 586.

Both are great revolvers, and one of these days I'll be able to verify whether or not the lockwork on the Python is as good as it's claimed to be.

For me, however, a blued Python is the best looking of the three.

m

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:54:49 PM EDT
I perfer S&W  but the Python is a beauty.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:56:27 PM EDT
The beauty of the Python is the smmooooth DA trigger pull.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:58:52 PM EDT
Quoted:

This.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:03:09 PM EDT
No, you are not the only one.

S&W wheelguns are the standard by which all other wheelguns are measured.

Python.................meh.

In my opinion, of course.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:03:33 PM EDT
Python is to me one of the best looking guns ever made. Fuck if I'll spend the money on one but I sure like em.
The only Cult gun I own is my grandpas 32.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:04:52 PM EDT
Love the looks of smith revolvers... especially older ones with the firing pin still on the hammer. However... there is just something UBER sexy bout a COLT PYTHON. It is my "dream gun"
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:10:39 PM EDT
the python is every bit a good as everyone says. My brother has my late fathers 8 inch stainless python. Its a work of art. the blued ones are even sexier. I may try to pick one up someday, although my brother probably will end up giving me Dads sometime down the road.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:12:45 PM EDT
Nope, you're not alone.
I have a stable of Smith wheel guns.
The python is a fine machine, but I never could get used to the feel of it.
The Smith guns have the grip angle that works well for me.
"N" frame Smiths have a special place in my heart, and my safe..
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:13:28 PM EDT
My fatheR just gave me his nickel plated Python not too long ago. It is one of my favorite guns and love the way it looks.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:14:32 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

Yep.  Right here.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:20:39 PM EDT
My dad has a blued python that was perfect and he sold it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:23:23 PM EDT
If you don't "get the price", I'm guessing that you've never shot one. There has never been another production revolver with a trigger as smooth as a Python. They are a work of art. And IMO, they are nice looking as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:25:59 PM EDT
Quoted:

ditto.

I have a 4" nickel plated 1958 colt python that is just gorgeous. It has been waiting on a list for over 2 years to get to Grant Cunningham to smith it. The trigger is great but it will be better.

I also have a 6" deep blued S&W 29-2 w/ magnaport and a target trigger that is awesome too. I will probably take it out for turkrey this fall. Over 30+ years old and looks NIB.

They both rock but the colt is more accurate and has a slightly better trigger IMO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:26:32 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  

Yep.  Right here.

I will add; the action of the 686 combat masterpiece doesn't come close to the Python.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:27:01 PM EDT
I'd take a vintage M29 over a Python any day of the week.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:27:21 PM EDT
Quoted:
One of my dream guns is a 4" blued Python.

Same here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:28:46 PM EDT
The original Three Fifty-Seven.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:29:01 PM EDT
I'm not so sure if they stack up to a Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum... Those things just ooze classy.

Edit: ^^^^^^ awwwww yeah, just as I was typing it. Niiiiice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:31:46 PM EDT
Way too fragile,and way too spendy,I'll take my model 28 any day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:32:05 PM EDT
Quoted:
I just don't think the Python looks that great and I don't get the price.

No, you are not the only one.

But then again, there are still people who wear shorts, black socks and tennis shoes.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:34:28 PM EDT
Quoted:
If you don't "get the price", I'm guessing that you've never shot one. There has never been another production revolver with a trigger as smooth as a Python. They are a work of art. And IMO, they are nice looking as well.

You are correct...

I have never fired one, or even held one.

I have been looking at them on youtube..  Hickok45 just did a vid on one and I am impressed with it.

Some guy on youtube has a near unfired nickle, 6inch that looks pretty sexy.

Mabey if I were to see up close instead of pics/viids I might change my mind but I think for the value the Smith guns are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:34:32 PM EDT
Quoted:

This. +1.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:39:26 PM EDT

Quoted:

I agree....I'm a Smith man when it comes to wheel guns

This, but I do like D frames. Detective special, Cobra, Agent.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:39:45 PM EDT
I've owned both Smiths and Colt. I only have one S&W left and that's a UGSI one.

Just can't get used to the slop in the cylinder when locked up and I've yet to see a S&W with the trigger weight and feel of my old Pre Python. I know they are designed to align when the bullet jumps the cylinder to the forcing cone but it just screams loose tolerances and I personally enjoy the "one piece of metal" lockup of a old Colt.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:41:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:41:31 PM EDT

Somehow, in the back of my my mind I expected  you might throw a 27 in this thread.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:43:03 PM EDT
<––––––––––––––––   This!    
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:45:04 PM EDT
My best friend used to always talk up the Colt Python his dad owned (dad is a salty VN infantry vet, volunteered before they had to worry about drafting him, was in the shit, I've seen the pictures) that got stolen in a burglary.  Too bad they don't make them anymore.  Old man's since moved to a G30.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:49:19 PM EDT
Anyone that says they favor a S&W over a classic Python is just too po' to afford the Python.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:49:48 PM EDT

Quoted:

A. the grip frame feels like shit.

B. The lack of a pronounced "knuckle" at the top of the grip frame contributes to the gun rolling in the hand instead of staying put like a S&W in fast DA fire. For some reason Cult felt that they needed to make DA revolvers with similar frame geometry to a SA, which should roll in the hand to facilitate one handed cocking/firing.

C. they are more apt to go out of time and are more complex to work on

D. A well tuned smith is like greased ball bearings

The ONLY thing Cult had on S&W was fully heat treated internals instead of case hardened. One other thing of note: the Python was originally intended to be a .38 Spl target gun. When S&W introduced the 19, Cult had to play catch up and chambered it for .357 instead. Oh, and privately, Fitzgerald admitted that S&W had a superior action.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:49:51 PM EDT

Quoted:

Somehow, in the back of my my mind I expected you might throw a 27 in this thread.

Moi?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:50:24 PM EDT
Agreed
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:54:06 PM EDT
Smith fan here.  Never had any desire for anything colt.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:54:15 PM EDT
Ugly? Nahhhhhhh.

[/img]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:56:20 PM EDT

Quoted:

There are two great names in revolvers. One is Smith and the other is Wesson.

Like Dan Wesson?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:57:12 PM EDT
Quoted:
Anyone that says they favor a S&W over a classic Python is just too po' to afford the Python.

No, Sir, I couldn't see spending MORE money on an INFERIOR wheelgun.

I've shot Pythons, and they just don't stack up against an N-framed Smith, again in my opinion.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:57:56 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

A. the grip frame feels like shit.
B. The lack of a pronounced "knuckle" at the top of the grip frame contributes to the gun rolling in the hand instead of staying put like a S&W in fast DA fire. For some reason Cult felt that they needed to make DA revolvers with similar frame geometry to a SA, which should roll in the hand to facilitate one handed cocking/firing.
C. they are more apt to go out of time and are more complex to work on
D. A well tuned smith is like greased ball bearings

The ONLY thing Cult had on S&W was fully heat treated internals instead of case hardened. One other thing of note: the Python was originally intended to be a .38 Spl target gun. When S&W introduced the 19, Cult had to play catch up and chambered it for .357 instead. Oh, and privately, Fitzgerald admitted that S&W had a superior action.

Wrong you are  ass Colt came out wuth the Tooper ,and then the Colt 357.   The Colt 357  was so populiar that they made a longer barreld much more refined revolver and callled it the Python!

IIt's just the Reg Smith to Mod 27 tran,mod28  type thing!      Only Colt never made any lesser guns than the  Python  that were as good as!

Bob

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:02:43 PM EDT
I have always thought the Colt revolvers were better looking than the S&W`s
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.