Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 3:10:58 AM EDT
I was at a parade yesterday and they sung the National Anthem and it choked me up.  I didn't notice anyone else that seemed to be that way and wondered if I am unusually.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You know, I use to take that song for granted. It became just "another song" that became the standard before sporting events, etc.

But after the events of the past few years and the great sacrifice made by our troops, that song (as well as other similar ones) seem to have much greater meaning and impact on me now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:22:04 AM EDT
[#2]
No you're not.
And I am NOT a woman who cries easily....last good cry was in 2002 when my son was born...I get misty from time to time...National Anthem, especially when done live (say I am at the event) always chokes me up.
Hate the <censored> who keep their hats on and don't cover their hearts when it's sung.
It's about respect.
If you don't have it for your country, who do you have it for?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]
•  Am I the only one that gets teared up every time they hear the National Anthem?  

YEP
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Am I the only one that gets teared up every time they hear the National Anthem?

Everytime.

Sometimes I don't even have to hear it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]
No. Me too.

Targethunter
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:48:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:14:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I was in the color gaurd carrying a flag for the Fire Dept, and it was pretty cool how many folks applauded the flag, put their hand over their chest or saluted it.  It was very nice to see.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Am I the only one that gets teared up every time they hear the National Anthem?

Everytime.

Sometimes I don't even have to hear it.

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Started in High School when I was on the wrestling team, right before I competed.

My cheerleader sweetheart at the time (‘mat maidens’ they were called) said she would always say a prayer for our team during the anthem – did it help?  Well, at least I never got severely injured.

On subsequent trips into the pugilistic arena in my adult life, I felt it was best to ignore it when I heard it playing.  There are times for emotions, and there are times you need to concentrate on what you’re doing.

Now though, sometimes, just hearing it on TV before a game it will kind of get to me.

Nice to hear from others that are in touch with the emotional aspect of what patriotism truly is.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm man enough to admit it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope, It chokes me up too. Put some Military service members in the room saluting and the tears flow. I love it.

UNLESS,
  Some singer  is trying to outdo Mariah Carey and Whitney Huston with that gad-awful warbling on every note they do. Then I get annoyed. It's a beautiful complicated song on it's own and doesn't need all the musical embroidery.

Flame suit on, but I don't think it's an appropriate time for song styling.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I tend to listed to the words and imagine myself a prisoner of the British crown watching the battle transpire at Ft. McHenry from inside their massive Royal Navy Flag ship.

Yes. I hold back tears each time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm about as American as you can get.  I love my country, my military, and my president.  But the national anthem doesn't choke me up.  I didn't cry when Old Yeller died.  I didn't cry when my son was born.  I didn't cry watching BoB or SPR.  

My dad will cry at the drop of a hat, but my grandpa is a tough as nails DI in the Army.  I'm a sensitive guy....just not that sensitive I guess.  Maybe its genetic....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#17]
It gets me every time I hear it.  

I think it only affects those that have a concept of what sacrifices have been made for this country.  Those that it doesn’t affect are the ones that do not understand history or care to understand how much blood has been spilled to make this country what it is.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm about as American as you can get.  I love my country, my military, and my president.  But the national anthem doesn't choke me up.  I didn't cry when Old Yeller died.  I didn't cry when my son was born.  I didn't cry watching BoB or SPR.  

My dad will cry at the drop of a hat, but my grandpa is a tough as nails DI in the Army.  I'm a sensitive guy....just not that sensitive I guess.  Maybe its genetic....

Dude...see an opthamologist...ya got blocked tear ducts....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Usually I won't tear up, but it does leave a lump in my throat most times.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude...see an opthamologist...ya got blocked tear ducts....hr

he
I did cry when Leo Dicaprio died in Titanic for some reason....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Gets me...

There is something about the Indianapolis 500, too.  The tradition of it all, Memorial Day...  It's really something when a stealth bomber flies over at 500 feet, too!  Talk about pride!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends on th quality of the singer and if it is classic rendition.   I once heard it performed in a semi R&B fashion..  bleh.

BTW, how many know all lyrics for the 1st verse?

How many get somewhat hazy in the middle?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude...see an opthamologist...ya got blocked tear ducts....

No, no, I don't even feel the urge to cry.  The national anthem makes me happy, I was happy when my son was born, and Old Yeller getting his head blown off made me sad.....but not "cry sad".  

I did cry when Leo Dicaprio died in Titanic for some reason....

IT WAS A VERY MOVING SCENE!

Yur sooo GAY!  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#24]
It never phased me until after I served in the Army. After that the song became much more personal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#25]
One here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Gets me too, almost every time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I pretty much took it for granted until it was played upon my "liberation" from SERE school.  Tears have welled since then.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah!!!! Anyone ever seen the National Anthem with the F-16 flying? At the end, AMERICA...... MY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Gets to me every time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I volunteer at Fort McHenry and we often have kids who are visiting help take downt the large flag.

Gets me every time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Gets me every time I hear it in person.  Not so much when it's on TV, though.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You know, I use to take that song for granted. It became just "another song" that became the standard before sporting events, etc.

But after the events of the past few years and the great sacrifice made by our troops, that song (as well as other similar ones) seem to have much greater meaning and impact on me now.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top