Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2009 6:58:57 PM EDT
It seems like everyone else but me has had problems with their Xbox 360 consoles. In three years I have not had a single problem with mine, unless you count Fallout 3 getting laser burned.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 360 from when they first came out. Mine red rings once in a while. I just turn it off and back on again and it works.

My PS3 has been flawless though.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
On my 3rd
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my 360 2 years ago this Thanksgiving, and haven't had an issue with it. (knocks on wood)

The weekend after Thanksgiving in 2007, Best Buy had a deal going where if you bought a 56" Samsung 1080p DLP television for $1,599.99, they would throw in an XBOX 360 Pro package (with the 20gb HDD) that included Forza Motorsport 2, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Well, my Father had just given his girlfriend the boot, and she took the TV. He bought the Samsung from Best Buy, and called me to ask, "What's this XBOX thing do? Do I need it for anything?". I told him it's a video game system that does play DVD's, and he replied, "Ugh... Well stop over this weekend and hook all my stuff up to this new TV, and you can have this XBOX." SCORE!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On my 3rd

My brother went through three of them He is on his fourth now...so far so good
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
KNOCK OF WOOD,

My 360 has yet to have one problem in the 3 yrs I have had it. I have a friend who is on his 4th right now....
My other buddy, who bought his weeks after i bought mine, has not had one problem either. Maybe we got a good batch

If mine dies, and Microsoft won't pay after a few nicely put emails and phone calls, i'm going to ps3 and will spam microsoft with fuck you messages... Lots of them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine died in September with the typical RROD, a mere 3 months after the three-year cost-free warranty expired on it
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I probably have the worst luck when it comes with my crash box. I'm on my 7th technically if you count the number of times it died and was fixed by microsuck or myself. It sits in the middle of a table and is 2 feet away from everything. The last time it died I replaced the shitty x-clamps and thermal paste that microsuck uses and installed one 120mm fan on top, and two 60mm's on the sides, now the thing wont overheat even if I tried. Still works, and actually now it works better than before. The best part, I saved 99 bucks and now that I know how to fix it, I can always fix it again if I ever need to. Fuck microsuck!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had three graphics card failures in two years. Just got mine back yesterday from repair.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I went and got my 360 about 6-8 months after launch and I had to return 3 different consoles to the store just to get one that worked. But after it was working I loved mine.

Then I got the RROD, repaired, used it for 3 months, and now it barely plays fucking games. Needless to say I now have a PS3 that works just fine. I am still contemplating a MW2 360 just for shits and grins.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I've gone through two 360's.  The only reason my third hasn't gone up yet is because I don't use it anymore (I play my PS3!).
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I probably have the worst luck when it comes with my crash box. I'm on my 7th technically if you count the number of times it died and was fixed by microsuck or myself. It sits in the middle of a table and is 2 feet away from everything. The last time it died I replaced the shitty x-clamps and thermal paste that microsuck uses and installed one 120mm fan on top, and two 60mm's on the sides, now the thing wont overheat even if I tried. Still works, and actually now it works better than before. The best part, I saved 99 bucks and now that I know how to fix it, I can always fix it again if I ever need to. Fuck microsuck!

No problems with mine.........yet.  I was wondering though if it would be a good idea to get an external cooling fan?  Might extend the life of the console?

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problems with mine.........yet.  I was wondering though if it would be a good idea to get an external cooling fan?  Might extend the life of the console?

Don't hold your breath. Most of the external fans pull more dust/debris into the box actually causing more problems.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:25:25 AM EDT
[#13]
to the OP......I said same thing until monday.  Kids were playing and yelled that the screen had frozen, I was like .  When i restarted the system 3 red ones, the ni was  However after discussing with RED DOT tech support warranty was extended to 3 years and they are paying shipping both ways.

To others that have had repairs done, was the issue fixed or is it just a band aid until it happens again??
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I have never had a problem with the actual console....now the power bricks on the other hand

I've had one totally implode

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#15]
My 360 was close to 2 years old and I got the RROD 2 weeks ago, spent a week and a half researching, then decided on doing the heat gun fix. Worst case, I'd buy a new one if that didn't fix it; best case, I can fix it again and again if it works.

It worked like a charm. Not sure how long it will last. Myself and my son have played for sittings of more than an hour on GoW2.

I also drilled extra vent holes in the bottom (horizontal) of the case & metal container and put a USB laptop cooler with 2 fans under it to put some extra air into the bottom.

Now I just gotta set up for Live & get my other router set up as a bridge, then I'll finally get to play online.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't say anything, I've only had one, but the DVD drive failed, so once I replaced that and messed around with cosmetic changes it RROD'd so I had to fix that...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Bought mine for Gears of War not too long after release; was the same day as the midnight release for the PS3 and I almost pissed myself laughing at all the mouth breathers camped out outside the best buy.  Zero problems but the DVD drive is getting kinda loud these days.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Why would you tempt fate right before Modern Warfare 2 comes out??? Murphy's law says you are screwed now!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
My drive on my old computer burnt my Battlefield 2 CD with the laser

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#20]
My Elite died last week with the 3 red rings.  A bit over 2 years old.  It would power up occasionally during the week I was waiting on the shipping label to arrive, but the next time I'd try, it's just red ring.  I thought about doing some of the fixes, but I decided it was just as easy to ship it in, get a new one back with another year warranty on it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
That does make sense.

My brother-in-law's "fixed" one rrod about 14 months after he got it back - not under warranty anymore.

When I took his apart to heat gun it, I noticed he had all the upgrades of the newest boxes... copper tube heatsinks, heat pads on the ram chips, and his power recepticle won't accept my plug ... extra block in it to prevent use with my style power brick, which most likely means he's got the Jasper chip which only runs with the 150w power brick (mine's 175w).

At any rate, I'm under the belief now that even the newest units will rrod unless they are modded to keep the extra cool.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Our Elite red-ringed last night.  I bought it for my wife for Christmas 2007.

Two days before the release of Dragon Age.  Thank God I'm buying it for the PC!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, maybe these will make you feel a little better...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top