Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2004 10:45:49 AM EST
My oldest daughter is 17, she has been dating the same boy for 2 years now, he is 19. For their 2 year anniversary he bought her a ring, gold band with diamonds. Kinda like this one

Now I think it is to much, she says it doesn't mean anything and he sits quietly not saying a word. Am I just an overparanoid mom or are they rushing things a bit?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:47:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:49:33 AM EST
That ring somewhat resembles 1 of Mrs. Wedge's 2 wedding rings. Off the top of my head it cost me around 800 for it.

That commie is moving in on your daughter.

Give me an address and I will send someone to take care of it for you.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:50:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 10:52:05 AM EST by Maddogkiller]
"doesn't mean anything?" Are you prepared to be a gramma? I'd bet a months pay that that news will be forthcoming.

Keep this in mind. He bought her a nice ring. He didn't grab his bug out bag.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:51:33 AM EST
I gave a nice ring to a girl my last year of HS she was 16, I was 17. We were highschool sweethearts and it didn't mean that much, it was puppylove, but +1 on what Shivan said...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:52:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By Maddogkiller:
"doesn't mean anything?" Are you prepared to be a gramma? I'd bet a months pay that that news will be forthcoming.

are you trying to give me a heartattack?!!? Seriously, I have a baby at home, I don't need no stinkin grandkids!!!

Since she chose to live with her father, I have no idea if she is on the pill or not, I ask, she says they aren't doing anything to need it. I have my doubts though. Oh well, I already told her, I will not raise yours if it happens, I have my own to raise. Let her father deal with it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:53:08 AM EST
Scream with me - AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

ok, now that that's out, I feel better - do you?

Have you asked them both what their long term/short term plans are?

Other than that, I'm taking notes for when my kids are old enough to throw this at me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:55:45 AM EST
Assuming it is real... That is not some cheep promise ring.

Like I said I put two rings like that one on either side of Mrs. Wedge's engagement ring and then we made little Ms. Wedge.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:56:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By Persephone:
Scream with me - AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

ok, now that that's out, I feel better - do you?

Have you asked them both what their long term/short term plans are?

Other than that, I'm taking notes for when my kids are old enough to throw this at me.

Long term plans.. he is currently working at a decent job for the area he lives, makes around $16 an hour. Is saving all he can to go to college next year. He took a year off school to work.
She is just trying to make it thru high school now, soccer, cheerleading, basketball soon and her job at McDonalds.
After she gets out of high school, she says they are moving in together. (this alone makes me think they are already doing the deed) She has no plans to go to college. I am still working on that.

Yes I screamed after I talked with her... it made me feel no better. I am not ready for this stuff. Time to go play with LilGH so I don't fret over her.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:57:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By wedge1082:
Assuming it is real... That is not some cheep promise ring.

Like I said I put two rings like that one on either side of Mrs. Wedge's engagement ring and then we made little Ms. Wedge.

It's real.. I checked it real close and I know my stuff.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:59:54 AM EST
Well why wouldn't they tell you if it meant anything. But then again I put a ring on MrsBRF then had a kid got married and got a house all within a year after that. Good luck
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:00:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 11:00:54 AM EST by wedge1082]
He has no business dating a high school girl. If she moves in with him it could ruin her life.

I say it is time someone showed him how why an AR is superior to his AK.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:01:37 AM EST

He has no business dating a high school girl. If she moves in with him it could ruin her life.

He was in high school when they started dating, I really can't pull that line on them now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:02:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By MrsGungho:

He was in high school when they started dating, I really can't pull that line on them now.

He is not in High School now. She is.

This is one reason why they need to move the freshman year back down to middle school.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:12:01 AM EST

Wait now, hold on a second. There comes a time when we all gotta say "ok, I trust you, you're an adult now, you make your own decisions. But I'll always be here to help you make the right one if you ask. I think this is going too fast, I wish you'd consider XYZ, but it's your choice." That is, if you think she's ready for that "right of passage" speach. Then you need to figure out how much you are willing to support her if things go wrong. That's a tough one. At what point does "helping" become taking away the natural consequences of a person's actions and therefore make it harder for them to learn from their own mistakes?

Let's do that AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR! thing again and maybe add some pulling our own hair out.

I hate these situations. They're so tough. Still taking notes.........
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:14:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Persephone:

Wait now, hold on a second. There comes a time when we all gotta say "ok, I trust you, you're an adult now, you make your own decisions. But I'll always be here to help you make the right one if you ask. I think this is going too fast, I wish you'd consider XYZ, but it's your choice." That is, if you think she's ready for that "right of passage" speach. Then you need to figure out how much you are willing to support her if things go wrong. That's a tough one. At what point does "helping" become taking away the natural consequences of a person's actions and therefore make it harder for them to learn from their own mistakes?

Let's do that AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR! thing again and maybe add some pulling our own hair out.

I hate these situations. They're so tough. Still taking notes.........

She is 17. This can be taken care of before she turns 18. What are the statutory (sp?) rape laws where you live?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:30:56 AM EST
If they've been together 2 years, they are serious. The ring confirms that. They are also, for most intents and purposes, adults. You are free to offer your opinion and advice as an older, more experienced person, but the days of telling her what to do are pretty much over unless you want a NASTY relationship with her later on. You had 17 years to raise her -- time to start stepping back and pray you did a good job.

JMO, FWIW, as someone who remembers being your daughter's age like it was 7 years ago, because, well . . . it was. My kid's only 4 months old, so I haven't had to deal with this from the parental perspective yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:32:11 PM EST
I think it's a beautiful and thoughtful gift. Your daughter is lucky to have such a great guy. I know it must be difficult for you watching her in such a grown up situation when she is only 17yo, but things could be so much worse than the fact that she got a ring for a 2 year anniversary.

Now if that were MY daughter on the other hand...well, then it would be a different story

Good luck! You have your hands full there!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:58:50 PM EST
Persophone, you are right. I have said ok, tried to talk to her as an adult etc. I have told her basically what you have said. Even offered to help her with BC if it became necessary. She continues to say "I don't need it mom". And yes I am pulling hair out, but that's because I found some more grays and I painted today and got a little in my hair!

Wedge.. 17 is statutory rape. But I can't prove they have done anything. Unless of course she shows up pg, then I would rather him be on the streets to support her and baby then behind bars.

LL... I agree, they are serious, I just can't understand why it is such a big deal to tell me. I won't push this issue (the ring) with her, as of now, we have a pretty good relationship and I don't want to ruin it. I remember when I was that age too, I didn't have a mother who supported me and I didn't want that for my girls.

SigZiggy.. The boy (I should say man, but he's still a boy to me) who gave her this ring is a very upstanding youngman. He caters to her every whim, thinks of her first, etc... (I'd say pussy whipped, but I hate the thought of that) He has always bought her little things, this one just threw me for a loop. If they decide to marry, I wouldn't object at all, but not at the age they are now. She still has 2 years of highschool left. (Junior this year)

It's just real hard watching her grow up and become a woman, become so serious at such a young age. Wedge posting pics of his precious lil girl brought back so many memories and such. Now I am sitting here crying, it SUCKS having your kids grow up!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:07:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 2:10:44 PM EST by innocent_bystander]
FYI, they will elope and get married soon after she turns 18.

Might not be a bad thing. Is he a good kid? Don't let it screw up their college.

Edit: 18 and a junior? I graduated at 17. Well, maybe just a promise ring. Don't let her marry in high school.

That's this guys view.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:57:36 PM EST

Persophone, you are right. I have said ok, tried to talk to her as an adult etc. I have told her basically what you have said. Even offered to help her with BC if it became necessary. She continues to say "I don't need it mom". And yes I am pulling hair out, but that's because I found some more grays and I painted today and got a little in my hair!

Wedge.. 17 is statutory rape. But I can't prove they have done anything. Unless of course she shows up pg, then I would rather him be on the streets to support her and baby then behind bars.

LL... I agree, they are serious, I just can't understand why it is such a big deal to tell me. I won't push this issue (the ring) with her, as of now, we have a pretty good relationship and I don't want to ruin it. I remember when I was that age too, I didn't have a mother who supported me and I didn't want that for my girls.

SigZiggy.. The boy (I should say man, but he's still a boy to me) who gave her this ring is a very upstanding youngman. He caters to her every whim, thinks of her first, etc... (I'd say pussy whipped, but I hate the thought of that) He has always bought her little things, this one just threw me for a loop. If they decide to marry, I wouldn't object at all, but not at the age they are now. She still has 2 years of highschool left. (Junior this year)

It's just real hard watching her grow up and become a woman, become so serious at such a young age. Wedge posting pics of his precious lil girl brought back so many memories and such. Now I am sitting here crying, it SUCKS having your kids grow up!!

you have said it yourself, lady

we will listen when you need to talk
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:11:21 PM EST
Wow. Naive new parent chiming in here with "it's just a ring"

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:12:13 PM EST

18 and a junior?

She's 17 and one of the older kids in her class because of her birthday falling in late July.

Thanks cat..
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:01:13 PM EST

17 is statutory rape.

Read the law carefully. It may be that cut and dried, but here in Texas we have all kinds of clauses. I don't remember what they are exactly, but it's something like this:

if both are under the legal age then it's not statutory rape;

if they were both under the legal age when they started dating then it's not statutory rape, etc.

I know you aren't in Texas, but I find it hard to believe that we are the only state with those kinds of clauses.

The value of the gift and the gift of jewelry in general is curious to me. The GF and I have been shopping for rings and I know that ring pictured ain't no where near $800 unless there's an exponent at the end; if any of you know where I can get one like that for $800 please let me know, but I digress. Not knowing anything about this (but being fully willing to comment on it ) my ideas might be this:

1) He is very attached to her and doesn't want to lose her if she goes off to college. Could lead to stalking/obsession.

2) He might have his head on straight and they both have positive plans for the future.

3) He is trying to act like an adult and this is a harmless gesture. (I realize that legally he's an adult, but I mean like a mid- to late 20s type adult)

I know choice 1 isn't very pleasant, but I tend to plan for the worst. You should know him well enough by now - even June Cleaver figured out that Eddie Haskell was a weasel in less than 2 years.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:01:51 PM EST
Still MrsGungho, some women like me have lived there whole life never getting anything like that from a man (seriously), so it doesn't seem like such a bad thing when it happens to be from such a nice guy to a nice young lady. Kind of makes me happy that there are still young men who know how to treat a lady these days. Makes me smile really. So yes, it's difficult as a mom, but from the outside looking in, it just seems like a truly special person she has found in him, even though they are young
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:02:07 PM EST
WOW! I am not looking forward to teenagers at all. At least I have boys. I'll pray that you aren't about to be a grandmother or a mother-in-law.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:41:34 PM EST
I can speak from experience, having an 18 and a 20 year old daughter. It is difficult to let your kids go even when they become adults. We would like to keep them young much longer. But if we are good parents we have to watch them go and if we have raised them correctly we should be able to do that. We just have to have faith. I really think this is why the ring is bothering you so much - you just hate to see her grow up.

As for the ring not meaning anything, maybe it doesn't. From the scenario you describe (her saying it means nothing and him quite) I'd guess maybe the ring meant more to him than to her. Before I say this, let me preface this with I am not saying your daughter is a bad person so don't take it that way. Do you think there is the possibility that she is using him somewhat? You said he spoils her. And I have known lots of girls to date the same guy during high school only to break things off as soon as she graduates. Some girls just like to have a steady boyfriend so that they are guaranteed dates for all the 'important occasions'.

I would not be overly concerned about them. She has two more years of school so even if they are planning on moving in together, there is plenty of time for things to change. And the same thing goes for attending college.

My daughter turned 18 the last of May and graduated high school in June. Her boyfriend gave her an engagement ring for a gift. They had been planning for months to move in together the day she graduated - needless to say she is still living with me. They are still engaged unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:44:16 PM EST
A few questions...

1. Is her boyfriend loaded?

2. What finger is it on?

3. Does your daughter confide in you enough to tell you the truth about her sex life, whether or not it's active?

The reason I ask these is because the boyfriend bought a set of rings for us a couple months ago - just a simple white gold band, nothing fancy. We wear them on our right hands. I guess it just symbolizes that we're in a committed rrelationship and we're staying that way until we both finish school and get serious jobs - that way we'll be in the right place in our lives to get engaged.

Maybe that ring means the same thing, just in a more extravagent way.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:24:25 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:30:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By cat_aclysm:
WOW! I am not looking forward to teenagers at all. At least I have boys.

Yea you will to deal with someone like me then...

But I bring guns home instead of girls.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:10:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tweak:
Norplant NOW

Take Wedge up on his offer.

It's crazy, but sometimes people fall out of windows from very high buildings. It's crazy but sometimes it just happens.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:25:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bucko:

The value of the gift and the gift of jewelry in general is curious to me. The GF and I have been shopping for rings and I know that ring pictured ain't no where near $800 unless there's an exponent at the end; if any of you know where I can get one like that for $800 please let me know, but I digress.

There are a few things I can never keep straight about Mrs. Wedge's rings. The first one is that her wedding bands have either 6 or 8 diamonds each, and look similar to the ring pictured. The second thing I can never remember is if the cost 1600 each or 1600 for both. I think I just blocked out the bad memory of paying the money. Don't get me wrong she deserves all the diamonds in the world, but I will never understand why diamonds are so expensive.

Either way that ring he gave your daughter is expensive.

Sometimes people fall out of windows of very tall buildings. It's sad, but such is life.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:34:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 3:44:38 AM EST by Tweak]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:37:50 AM EST
Thanks everybody, I have thought of everything everyone said at one time or another. This is a big learning experience for me though. I was told it's always toughest with your oldest, and they were right. If her father had grown some damn balls and reigned her in instead of sitting at the legion drinking his nights away, things might have been different., oh and babying her with bribes etc so she would stay there with him. Wrong subject wrong time for that beef.
I appreciate all the words of advice and encouragement. I feel slightly better this morning, I think a good feeling is a long ways off though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:42:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 3:51:32 AM EST by wedge1082]

Thanks everybody, I have thought of everything everyone said at one time or another. This is a big learning experience for me though. I was told it's always toughest with your oldest, and they were right. If her father had grown some damn balls and reigned her in instead of sitting at the legion drinking his nights away, things might have been different., oh and babying her with bribes etc so she would stay there with him. Wrong subject wrong time for that beef.
I appreciate all the words of advice and encouragement. I feel slightly better this morning, I think a good feeling is a long ways off though.

I have found that sometimes when someone (like your ex for example) has had a near death experience, say like being dangled from the window a very high building only to be pulled back in at the last second, it may make them change their ways. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:47:52 AM EST

I have found that sometimes when someone (like your ex for example) has had a near death experience, say like being dangled from the window a very high building only to be pulled back in at the last second, it may make them change there ways. Just a thought.

lol, trust me MRGH has said he will do just that and I have to reign him in. Trust me, he could do it too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:49:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:51:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 3:53:52 AM EST by wedge1082]

I have found that sometimes when someone (like your ex for example) has had a near death experience, say like being dangled from the window a very high building only to be pulled back in at the last second, it may make them change there ways. Just a thought.

lol, trust me MRGH has said he will do just that and I have to reign him in. Trust me, he could do it too.

Have him shoot me an IM if you ever change your mind. Helps to have someone hold the second leg sometimes.

eta - In those situations the dangled person can really get to kicking sometimes. I have heard.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:00:21 AM EST
They are DEFINETLY doing it.

Do not fool yourself. I'd confront her and make sure she is on birth control AND is using condoms.

I'd have to meet the boy to find out what his deal is. After just reading this thread, I'd say his intentions are to keep your daughter around for at least a while longer. Thank God he has a job.

Talk to him and your daughter immediately.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:18:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tweak:
So, MrsG, at what age did you start banging this ball less alcoholic no account excuse for a father?

Perhaps I see your concern, 'fraid the acorn landed at the base of the oak?

Not at all.. I was out of school before I even met the ball less fucker. He started drinking AFTER I left him because he was fucking around. Drowning his sorrows I guess because he couldn't have his cake and eat it too.
My concern is because I remember at 17, I was no where near ready for a relationship so serious, I also know my daughter is no where near ready for this either. Some kids can do it, some can not. She, I am afraid, is the one I fear can not.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:24:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By bvmjethead:
They are DEFINETLY doing it.

Do not fool yourself. I'd confront her and make sure she is on birth control AND is using condoms.

I'd have to meet the boy to find out what his deal is. After just reading this thread, I'd say his intentions are to keep your daughter around for at least a while longer. Thank God he has a job.

Talk to him and your daughter immediately.

I do the best I can from over a 100 miles away from her. Her father comes from a very large family and some of his sisters had reassured me after the divorce they would help keep an eye on things with her. I've always told her it is better to not have sex until your older, but if you find yourself in that situation, come to me we will get you something to make sure you don't get STD's or PG.

I believe the boys intentions toward her are good. For being only 19, he has his life plan set out and it seems to be a good one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:50:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:05:39 AM EST

Mrs. G.

Having raised 2 girls and 3 boys I can understand your feelings.
As a father I the only advise I can give is to be available and supportive
to your daughter, and give her this message.{ YOU MUST FINISH HIGH SCOOL FIRST}
And if you do this I will accept you as a adult. {Even if it is hard to belive she is }.
Trust that you raised your daughter with sound moral judgment.
By the way my younghest daughter is 32 this mo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:02:16 AM EST
thats like exactly like my wedding band!(silver of course)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:44:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 8:48:00 AM EST by Zoub]

I can see it. That is why I have not offered that kind of help. You don't need it, but I am always nearby and remember I own a truck, tarp and a shovel.

I would be happy to sit down with your daughter and give some free "parking lot counseling." Luckily I have seen and heard enough sad stories, I can share a few with her.

But maybe your focus should be on her future. Talk about her goals and dreams. Not this young man who still dates a high school student (that is wrong, period, it rarely works). June is a long way off, continue to teach her how to be her own person and set goals.

I only say this because as I walk in to my divorce, my focus is on my 9 year old daughter. Sadly my wife's mind is elsewhere. It makes me nuts, but you know what, that is not in my control. How I raise my Daughter is. Just focus on your daughter, not the problem. This is easier said than done, but that is what friends and family are for, I will IM you my cell phone if you ever want to talk more.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:20:31 AM EST
thx zoub.. I said all I need to say in IM..
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:59:28 AM EST
K, I wrote my reponse last night when I was a little tired and not quite in the proper state of mind.

I looked at that ring again today and let me just say HOLY CRAP!

Don't try to tell me that "doesn't mean anything".

I'm hanging onto thaty picture for when I want to get engaged.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:09:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 11:12:20 AM EST by u-baddog]
WHAT CAN YOU DO, REALLY ?
If the ring is real then the deal is sealed as far as they are concerned. Sorry but its out of your hands.
If you did a good job for the first 17 years she should be ok. She will heal from her broken heart if it happens and when he goes to college it most likely will.
He seems like a lucky boy, a 17 old cheerleader and a 16.00 an hour job at 19 yo he is a happy camper.

Get her on the pill and just try to be there if things turn to shit.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:16:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By u-baddog:
If the ring is real then the deal is sealed as far as they are concerned. Sorry but its out of your hands.
If you did a good job for the first 17 years she should be ok. She will heal from her broken heart if it happens and when he goes to college it most likely will.
He seems like a lucky boy, a 17 old cheerleader and a 16.00 an hour job at 19 yo he is a happy camper.

Good luck

this is what I know to be the truth. It really is out of my hands. I did the best I could, was always open and honest with them. And now you have made me cry again. Like I said before, it is just real hard to watch them grow up and become young ladies.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:27:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By u-baddog:

Good luck

this is what I know to be the truth. It really is out of my hands. I did the best I could, was always open and honest with them. And now you have made me cry again. Like I said before, it is just real hard to watch them grow up and become young ladies.

Window... Tall building... Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:44:27 AM EST
No doubt the ring means something - a LOT to them. Are they doing it? Most likely. Get used to it! Don't even THINK of involving the cops. It would ruin a good boy's life, hurt your daughter terribly and accomplish nothing.

Sounds like the boy has his head screwed on pretty good - daughter could do MUCH worse. Offer to help her get on the pill (whether she admits needing it or not), be a good listener and let her grow up. She will anyway; only difference is whether she will want you in her life. I suspect your relationship needs a little work is why she refuses to admit needing the pill; no doubt feels an undercurrent of disapproval from you. Try to work through that disapproval, be more open to her making her own decisions (which she has already done, & will continue), try and teach her the very difficult concept of responsibility for her actions. No matter what, if they REALLY love each other, it will work out fine!

My .02 worth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top