Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2004 10:26:41 AM EDT
do people not like cops all that much on this board?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#1]
If they would just stop shooting people's dogs and tazing old men......
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I like cops just fine. I think the problem is with some who abuse their authority.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Goddamned JBTs.

ETA:  grabbing popcorn, soda.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No.  They just don't like the type of cops who think they are above the law and better than the people who pays their salaries.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Dog lovers don't. Some are like Kerry. They say they support the 2nd Amendment and are against the AWB. Yet, we never see them publically state that. Instead we see cops on t.v. and in the media trying to take away our rifgts. When they start speaking out, if they are telling the truth, then they will earn our respect. Shades of John Kerry.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

There are some cop-haters on here, but not many. There are a lot of people who take an expansive view of the rights of free men and a very dim view of infringements on that freedom. A bad cop (or a bumbling one) is much more likely to infringe on people's rights than a bumbling minute market clerk. Hence the frequent discussions and criticisms of particular LEO actions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
It's not your imagination.

Many on this board are anti-government to some extent.  As a result, they hate the local representatives that enforce the laws.

Many think that laws apply to others, but not to them.  If they get a traffic ticket for speeding, it is the fault of the Jack Booted Thugs.

They would personally shoot any dog that attacked them, but criticize LEOs for doing the same thing.

The list goes on and on.  But I get weary.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like cops just fine. I think the problem is with some who abuse their authority.

+1

I like %99 of the cops out there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dog lovers don't. Some are like Kerry. They say they support the 2nd Amendment and are against the AWB. Yet, we never see them publically state that. Instead we see cops on t.v. and in the media trying to take away our rifgts. When they start speaking out, if they are telling the truth, then they will earn our respect. Shades of John Kerry.

Ever consider that maybe some do speak out but we don't hear it? Given the ultra-conservative nature of this board I had figured the liberal media would be the first to blame for not hearing pro-second amendment/anti-AWB cops.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I've said it before.  I will treat EVERY cop that I come in contact with the utmost respect and courtesy until they prove that they don't deserve it.  Each is an individual and deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt.

However, the institution of law enforcement has been tarnished and battered (I think) beyond repair.  It's not about 'justice" or "keeping the peace", it's about enforcing insane and convoluted laws that do nothing more than prop up a bloated monster of "alphabet agencies" and scum sucking lawyers who are only in it for money and power.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Name one time any have ever gone on t.v., radio, newspaper, etc. and stood up for us. They never have and never will. I have seen them on local t.v. bitching about my rights. They are as bad as JBT's in many cases.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There are some cop-haters on here, but not many. There are a lot of people who take an expansive view of the rights of free men and a very dim view of infringements on that freedom. A bad cop (or a bumbling one) is much more likely to infringe on people's rights than a bumbling minute market clerk. Hence the frequent discussions and criticisms of particular LEO actions.

A very good point.  However, as we progress further and further toward a country full of people willing to relinquish freedoms for security, the forces of Law by necessity and in order to fulfill new and more restrictive duties naturally appear more like JBT's.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I think you are imagining it. As you can see from this thread, people here LOVE the police!

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I hate dishonest cops and cops that think they are the law.  I have the upmost(utmost?) respect for the ones who take pride in their job and do it well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Most people don't like cops until they need one.

Most people don't want to think about, hear about, or put money into corrections... but what would they do if there was no one to babysit these assholes?

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#17]
What I hate are people who talk out of their ass without a fucking clue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What I hate are people who talk out of their ass without a fucking clue.

You're on the wrong board, pal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#19]
There are individual cops I like, but on a whole I don't care for them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Most people don't like cops until they need one.

Most people don't want to think about, hear about, or put money into corrections... but what would they do if there was no one to babysit these assholes?

Shoot 'em?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#21]
For the most part I like cops, they keep my town nice and free from crime. But I dont like the cops who pull me ove rall the god dammed time because im a young guy in a muscle car, cops are great as long as they dont harass me for no reason.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Some JBTs let their cats run lose outside.  It's enough to comdemn every last one of them.  Dang 'em to heck! I say, Dang 'em to heck!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I like the good'ns . They are necessary .They are part of a delicate balance that makes the USA what it is . We must have armed citizens, We must have Police patrols , We have our military , Etc . . This is what has been defined by our constitution . Ther are good and bad in all of above mentioned .
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I've met and interacted with a fair number of cops (I just can't drive 55  ) and I have found that the vast majority of them are good folks for whom I have plenty of respect and goodwill.

There are bad apples in every group but by the nature of police work the bad apples on the police force are more visible and more problematic than a bad apple software engineer for instance.  When I have a bad day I at least am not in the public eye thank god  

There is a vocal minority on this board who have it in for cops for one reason or another which is unfortunate.

There is another vocal minority on this board whose understandable disgust with our bloated government and legal system tends to come out unfortunately in their attitudes towards cops.

I think that about sums it up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Cops are the people that society hires specifically to prevent or enforce its rules, whether some people want to follow them or not. That is where the conflict arrises.

Cops prevent crime? What city do you live in? It sounds like utopia!  

HS1
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=265651
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I love the people that say we only dislike them until we need them. I can write legibly and give testimony as well as any officer I have ever met. Is there any other use for them. For me personally, my answer is no.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Many of the people on this board cannot stand the thought that anything that they want to do might either break a law or disturb someone else or in some way hinder public safety.  Cops are the people that society hires specifically to prevent or enforce its rules, whether some people want to follow them or not.  That is where the conflict arrises.

Not a LEO, but I absolutely agree with shotar here.  The one in a thousand cops that are bad give the rest of them a bad name - same for doctors - same for lawyers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The kind of people who picked on the weaker kids in school became cops. People with a hard-on for being an authority figure, insecure, etc. Never have I met a cop who was a cop because he truely wanted to trash scumbags while looking out for the average joe. Cops indescriminately trash scumbags along with good citizens. They all tend to have the "us (cops) VS. THEM (everybody else)" attitude.

I was in the process of becoming a police officer myself once, but decided it wasnt for me! I would be breaking the law left and right and killing off scumbags making it look like an accident.

BTW, I have nothing against cops. I have a couple friends who are cops. And they are no different, sadly. If I were not their friends, I wouldnt want to cross them. They would do what they could to make your life miserable if you made them feel less than a god.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Once again, COPS don't prevent crime!

Infact, in the attempt to prevent certain types of crime, cops break the law without recourse.

Prostitution stings and drug stings to name a few. I like some cops.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#32]
The cops in my town are complete dicks because it's such a small town and nothing ever happens here.  It takes two of them to pull someone over and give them a ticket, so they can ensure that you get twice the amount of verbal abuse.

I respect REAL cops, not the ones around this shithole.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Once again, COPS don't prevent crime!

Infact, in the attempt to prevent certain types of crime, cops break the law without recourse.

Prostitution stings and drug stings to name a few. I like some cops.

HS1

Not a personal insult HighStrung1, but you don't know what you are talking about.

I used to be a Patrolman.  (Were you?)

I prevented lots of crime.  Criminals saw me patroling and decided to not break the law.  People saw us patroling and slowed down to the speed limit and decided to stop at the red lights.

To make a blanket statement like "COPS don't prevent crime", is silly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I agree with Jeeper21.  Think about the people you went to school with who became cops.  Could they ever have a position of authority in any other profession?  I don't see how most of them got through community college.  In Charlotte, NC, they have to cheat to pass the police academy test, and when caught, the Chief basically says, nothing to see here, move along.  If you don't believe it, go here http://nl.newsbank.com/nojavascript.html
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Many of the people on this board cannot stand the thought that anything that they want to do might either break a law or disturb someone else or in some way hinder public safety.  Cops are the people that society hires specifically to prevent or enforce its rules, whether some people want to follow them or not.  That is where the conflict arrises.

I think the greater difficulty is that NONE of us knows ALL the law, and many seemingly innocent (to just about anyone) and harmless activities may be against the law, even if it doesn't disturb someone else or in any way hinder public safety.  You might need to pay a bribe a permit to do the thing, or it may have been legal once but isn't any more, and there's really no way to keep track of it all.

But "ignorance of the law is no excuse".  And that's the fear.  I don't know what I don't know.  There are probably things I have done in the last week which would cost me plenty if I were brought into court - and I'm a nice guy and believe myself to be a more-or-less law-abiding citizen (who doesn't speed as much as most, and usually comes to a full and complete stop at stop signs, and usually at least tries to stop for yellow lights).

Every time I see a police car, I wonder if I did something (and can't think of anything, except that I might have been speeding), or if They think I did something....
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
they have to cheat to pass the police academy test

When I took the written test before applying for a Police agency I was the ONLY person who passed it, and I didnt even finish the test, I ran out of time. And I'm probably the only one out of that group who finally decided the cop life wasnt for me.

The interviewers where also impressed with my test results and asked me if I did anything to prepare for it. I said "no, the questions seemed like common sense to me." to which he replied, some of applicants had Bachelors and still failed it. While I am only a GED holder. (Currently I'm in college now)
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Actually lately I've had some good run in with the police, we both acted professionally and we both where able to make it home that night.
But I view the police the same way a dog view's the dog catcher- They are the ones who will round me up and put me in a cage. If I'm gilty fine, but if it's a no-knock on the wrong address, or some other f**k-up I pay the price on that one.

Oh and please don't shoot my Greyhound he's not going to bite, he just wants someone to pet him. His name is Ramsey and he is an attension whore.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I agree in that a patroling officer does not prevent crime.  Him mere presence at best simply delays criminal activity or moves it to another venue.

A crime is prevented only when a criminal is locked up where he cannot commit any more crimes.  A crime is the result of crappy people preying on others.  Delaying criminal acts is at best a temporary respite.  Criminals have to be stopped after the crime and punished to the point that they conclude that is no longer makes economic sense for them to risk additional punishment.  This is the only way to stop additional crime.  Likewise, fear of punishment, be it hard jail time or getting shot by an angry citizen, is the best deterent to others considering crime as a livelihood.

Most crime is committed by a minority of criminals.  They need to be locked up or put down.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I love the people that say we only dislike them until we need them. I can write legibly and give testimony as well as any officer I have ever met. Is there any other use for them. For me personally, my answer is no.

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a LEO, but I absolutely agree with shotar here.  The one in a thousand cops that are bad give the rest of them a bad name - same for doctors - same for lawyers.

And same for gun owners.

The laws of statistics dictate that of any given group, some will be bad.  Police work by it's very nature may attract more bad apples than others.  Or maybe it's just that when the police screw up, its very visble (and should be).  Give a group of people guns and power and some of them will play fast and loose.  It's a facet of human nature that does not make me proud of my species.  I certainly hope the proportion that abuse their power is small.

What's worse than those who abuse their authority are those who give them too much authority in the first place.  That would be us, the civilians, selling our souls for a dubious degree of so called safety.  Seven pieces of silver......................

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That's a load of binary two-state on-off unthinking CRAP.
The complaints and cop-bashing comes from incidents of gross abuse or blatant abuse uder color of authority.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cops are the people that society hires specifically to prevent or enforce its rules, whether some people want to follow them or not. That is where the conflict arrises.

Cops prevent crime? What city do you live in? It sounds like utopia!  

HS1

Cops don't prevent anything.  They try to clean up afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I like cops just fine.  I treat them all professionally and have had no problems in my encounters with them.  Do I trust them?  Hell no.  You'd be a fool to trust a cop.  Lying is a part of the profession.  Standard interogation technique.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Law is force, therefore the one that enforces the law becomes the law, this only becomes a problem when the ones enforcing the law are no longer accountable for their actions.

Quoted:

"Two men have no more natural right to exercise any kind of authority over one, than one has to exercise the same authority over two. A man's natural rights are his own, against the whole world; and any infringement of them is equally a crime; whether committed by one man, or by millions; whether committed by one man, calling himself a robber, (or by any other name indicating his true character), or by millions calling themselves a government."~~Lysander Spooner
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Once again:

When "they" come to take your guns, "they" will be the police.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#47]
My problem is with LEO's that unilaterally back up other LEO's on any and all stories that potentially point to police misconduct, as to say that only CIVILIANS DO THINGS THAT ARE AGAINST THE LAW. Gimme a break

Other than that, I support the police who are still real people at the end of the day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top