Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 2:04:46 PM EDT
I am a LEO up here in CowHampshire and am going to attend the upcoming 3 gun instructor course held out at Sig. Our Dept just got in a bunch or 14" Mossy 590s and I was planning on using one during the course.

Now I live in the other direction from My Dept in relation to Exeter "SIG". Would it be Illegal for me to take home this weapon and store it in my safe overnight? or do I need to drove another hour a day to return it to the armory.

Bunny
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a dept. owned weapon???

If you are using the weapon in the course of your duties, there should be no concern.

My weapons were take home ones.....they stayed with me. When I left the house, they were in the safe.

If you are really worried, call the ATF. But you will probably get a slightly different answer with each person you talk too!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]

If it's an agency gun, and they "issue" it to you for the period of training and are aware of where it will be, then you should be 100% fine.  Now, were you to act without the permission of the agency, that could theoretically be a much stickier situation.

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#3]
This question might get a better answer in the M16 - Full Auto forum.
It sounds like it's on the level, since it is being issued to you in the course of your duties.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback, Pretty much what I was thinking.. This will be issued "with thier permission" by the Dept to me for the class.

I'm not too concerned but I am going to do a bit more searching.
Thanks
Bunny
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am a LEO up here in CowHampshire and am going to attend the upcoming 3 gun instructor course held out at Sig. Our Dept just got in a bunch or 14" Mossy 590s and I was planning on using one during the course.

Now I live in the other direction from My Dept in relation to Exeter "SIG". Would it be Illegal for me to take home this weapon and store it in my safe overnight? or do I need to drove another hour a day to return it to the armory.

Bunny

No it would not be illegal in any way whatsoever. Your concern should focus on whether or not you will be violating your department's policy regarding the use of the weapon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#6]
if its issued, ecspecially for department training you could bring it home, unless you have a policy that states otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
As long as it is an individually assigned weapon that belongs to the agency, there is no beef at all.  It is just another issued service weapon, just like your pistol.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you are really worried, call the ATF.

No one who was your friend would ever make such a hateful suggestion. Heck, people that don't like you probably wouldn't suggest such a thing.

Get a dept letterhead one sentence statement that you can take the weap with you overnight for training purposes at an approved training facility. Have your supervisior or whoever scheduled the training sign off on it. Tada! Ass is covered.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Your really J/K us here right? I'd bet you break THE LAW every day theres so many of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top