Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 5/1/2015 2:33:18 PM EDT

I probably am but it would help to run this by someone else

I have a 2013 Ram Quad Cab, Express Package- Hemi, white, most options; the only aftermarket things are a Line-xed bed and a Retrax roll-up hard tonneau cover.

It has almost 55k miles on it; I drive ~80 miles a day. I owe 9k left on it. It's my daily driver, and it's a bit overkill for that. All miles are highway and it's in good condition; I maintain it, oil changes and tire rotations every 6k. No accidents, no issues with it.

I'm considering trading it in, for a 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek (if I can fit in it, anyway; it's at the top of my list, with a Subaru Forester coming up as an alternate). Mainly - I need the AWD (snow mainly, and mud on farm roads for some of the places I go), the ground clearance (I work hours before snow plows get out, so the snow can be deep at times...and again, farm roads and mild offroad driving), and some cargo room (how else am I going to haul stuff to the range? )

I like my truck, but 20mpg highway in the summer and 17 during the winter...that hurts. Plus, it's just...huge; most of the time all all the space is wasted; I can't ever think of a time I actually used all of it, in fact...it did come in handy carting a bunch of ammo and other stuff from storage but that was pretty much a one-time thing. Yeah, the cargo ability is really handy, but I'm not sure it's worth it to keep something this big and thirsty when %99.9 of the time I would be just fine in a smaller AWD vehicle. And that %.1 of the time I need more cargo..there's roof racks and trailers I could use, or even just rent a U-Haul.

According to KBB, tradein on my truck to a dealer values it around 21k.

The Subaru seems to be coming in around 23k give or take for how I want it...(I'm looking at the Premium model, manual transmission - I don't want the CVT if I can at all avoid it)

If I am doing my math right...in theory, it looks like I should be able to trade in my truck, if they give me 21k for it, and I'd wind up owing just about the same (give or take a grand or two) as I currently owe on the truck on the new Subaru, except it'll have 55k less miles on it, be smaller, and get better gas mileage...that's before I even put any money into it out of pocket. Yeah I know I'll be leaping from a truck that cost 28k when new into a vehicle that costs 23k when new, but...I'm sort of willing to live with that.

Am I doing that math right? Or am I missing something obvious? Am I being an idiot?

My main criteria are, in order, AWD, ground clearance, reliability, cargo capacity...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:42:18 PM EDT
If you can't fit in the Crosstrek, check out the Outback. Much roomier.

Don't neglect to add fees and tax in your calculations. I imagine that will add a couple K to the equation.

No, I don't think you're crazy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:43:28 PM EDT
What is private sale value?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:44:22 PM EDT
Private sale value would be around 23k per KBB, if that's a valid thing anymore...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:16:09 PM EDT
Demand for used cars and trucks are high. I would do myself the favor of selling my own truck and paying everyone off. Then negotiating a cash deal. Assumes you can get it all pulled off .
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:49:25 PM EDT
Our 2005 Outback is better in the snow than either my Ram was or my Tundra is. And it's way better on gas, while still having plenty of room.

Just sayin
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:53:54 PM EDT
Does your state allow you to trade to the dealer tax-free? That is something to consider. We have crazy sales tax, so that tax-free trade was worth about $2500 to me recently. Significantly closed the gap between trade in and private sale values.
Top Top