Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 10:53:10 AM EDT
Alright...so here it is.

I start a new job tomarrow.  

Being a quick learner, and wanting to keep a low profile, I quickly observed what the people at this place were wearing when I went for my interview.  This is a tech job, so really just clean pants (jeans) and shirt are all that is necessary.  

No Problem.

Ok.  But my thing is I've got more pairs of cargos and 5.11 pants than jeans--which I have none of.  On the other end of the spectrum, I've got lots of dockers and expensive shirts and ties from when I was in management and supervisiory positions.  Most people gave me shit for wearing 'the military' look all the time, but generally I didn't care...5.11s are comfortable with lots of pockets.  Who could ask for more?

However the whole look I had going on was starting to get annoying.  I just didn't want the attention--I was just wearing what was comfortable for me, but I guess most people are very concerned about what other people are wearing (?).  Whatever.

So today I went to wal-mart and bought several pairs of jeans so I could try to keep a lower profile than at my last job and draw less unwanted attention.  

So am I a big coward for wanting to blend in more, instead of wearing what I like and what I find comfortable?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Wear the jeans and then start wearing the cargos progressively more frequently.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Not at all.  As time goes on, you'll find that you'll either keep wearing jeans or that 5.11's are acceptable, too, and no one really cares.

Either way you're good to go.

HH
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes it is better to blend in with the rest of the flock.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Alright...so here it is.

Being a quick learner, and wanting to keep a low profile, I quickly observed what the people at this place were wearing when I went for my interview.  This is a tech job, so really just clean pants (jeans) and shirt are all that is necessary.  

No Problem.

Ok.  But my thing is I've got more pairs of cargos and 5.11 pants than jeans--which I have none of.  On the other end of the spectrum, I've got lots of dockers and expensive shirts and ties from when I was in management and supervisiory positions.  Most people gave me shit for wearing 'the military' look all the time, but generally I didn't care...5.11s are comfortable with lots of pockets.  Who could ask for more?

However the whole look I had going on was starting to get annoying.  I just didn't want the attention--I was just wearing what was comfortable for me, but I guess most people are very concerned about what other people are wearing (?).  Whatever.

So today I went to wal-mart and bought several pairs of jeans so I could try to keep a lower profile than at my last job and draw less unwanted attention.  

So am I a big coward for wanting to blend in more, instead of wearing what I like and what I find comfortable?

Uniforms, even unofficial uniforms, matter.   You'll get a better handle on the range of individuality acceptable at the job in time.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have to say, I've never seen the concept of cowardice connected with the clothes that you/anybody wears.

Well I'm thinking that because I'm not wearing what I'd normally wear...that it's because I'm a sissy for not wanting to take the shit for it.  

Generally I don't care what other ppl think of me, but after awhile it just starts getting old.  For godsakes I came in to do a job, not win a fashion show (or whatever).  At least not as a line worker.  As a manager, fashion and image becomes more important.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
5.11's are "military"??? they look "dressier" and more formal than jeans to me...as long as you don't have 'em bloused into a pair of jungle boots or corcs...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#9]
You're afraid, like on the Simpson’s when Cletus tells Homer he’s so dressed up he could be "one of them TV magic queers".

You're afraid of your co-workers thinking you are gay aren't you?

Yep - you're either a coward or you're close to switching teams to the Mustache All-Stars (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
5.11's are "military"???hey

Naw, man, I'm not that hardcore about it...LOL

I agree on the dressier part.  In one job I had I'd wear them with a button down shirt and tie and thought it looked good and professional--and I used all the pockets too .
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's smart; no cowardice at all. You want to blend into the culture at your new job, and one of the first things people judge you on is appearance.

When I took this job two months ago, I went out and spent a couple of thousand dollars on suits and shirts and ties. I didn't buy the things I necessarily thought were the coolest or expressed my personal taste and vision the best. I took into consideration the environment in which I would be working and the backgrounds of the people around whom I'd be working and shopped accordingly. I want to be successful, so I dress like the people who are successful where I work. It's only common sense.

That's what I'm talkin' about.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Someone coined the phrase "sheepleflage" recently....dress like the rest but tell yourself you're doing it for "tactical reasons."  

Then wear 5.11 on "Casual Friday"...then throw them in on Wednesday....then switch to tan jump-boots. Then buy a "pager-pal" and leave it on your desk. Word will get around and no one will bother you. When asked about "guns and stuff"...act horrified and point out that if Hillary were president we wouldn't have to worry about such things.

ETA: www.pagerpal.com/
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You're afraid, like on the Simpson’s when Cletus tells Homer he’s so dressed up he could be "one of them TV magic queers".

You're afraid of your co-workers thinking you are gay aren't you?

Yep - you're either a coward or you're close to switching teams to the Mustache All-Stars (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Right!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Metro-sexual
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I wear 5.11's to work.  I'm an office manager and nobody minds.  They all also consider me the office gunnut so maybe they're just too afraid to say anything?    MJD
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I generally let the Women worry about who is wearing what.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Metro-sexual

Hey now!  Doesn't the COC have something about name calling in it?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top