Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2017 11:45:47 AM EDT
I’m in my early 30s. I’m married to an amazing woman who has blessed me with 3 amazing kids and we have our 4th on the way. I have a terminal degree and will make between $115k-135k this year (depending on my performance). We own a very comfortable home with about $90-100k in equity. We live in a great little town where quality of life is amazing and the cost of living is relatively low. Life is very, very good.

I’ve learned a tremendous amount about myself working for my employer over the past 4 years. I’m an idea guy and a prolific communicator. I’m constantly coming up with ideas and pushing on them. Luckily, I moved to a sales role about a year ago, and it’s been a lot of fun, a great outlet, and more money. And I’m good at selling our products and services, so there is a lot of job security in my current position.

I also have an entrepreneurial bend. And I’ve found that even in my new sales role, where I can apply my skills and my responsibilities align with my propensities, I am constantly day dreaming about start-up ideas, side-hustles, etc. I still have this nagging feeling that I’m not doing what I’m supposed to be doing. I think I’ve come to realize that I’m just not wired to work for someone else.

This is why I’m writing this post. Am I fucking crazy entertaining giving up the security and lifestyle we have just to assume a huge amount of risk and start all over from scratch?

My biggest obstacle is all/most of my ideas involve software. And I don’t know/probably won’t have time to learn to build software. So I would need to recruit/partner with some developers/engineers. And we have some savings, but not really a “rainy day fund” to live off for a year or so. I really believe I could do it, but it would be rough. I mean like might have to sell our house, our cars, all my rifles, etc rough.

Am I nuts? Anyone else go through this, give up a really comfortable life, and come out on top?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You have kids and a wife. Now is not a time to put it all on the line. Just my .2 cents.

Edit: Family first. You have responsibilities. If you didn't have kids I would say go for it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Humblebrag thread 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The nation is full of fathers who shuck their financial and moral obligation to their families.

Sounds like you're almost ready to become one of them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You make a danmed good wage and work a set schedule.  Why give that up?  When you become your own boss, your business becomes the newest addition to the family and gets most of your attention.  Do you need to make more money to feel complete?  Does your family need more money and less you?  Can you guarantee that you will make more money as an business owner?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
your choice

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Dear Humblebrag,
Hire some overseas guys to do your software development. You would be unwise to leave your current position. The grass is not always greener, even though you may think it is. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not just hire an hourly developer to build it for you?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
so you have a PhD and you're only making in the low $100k? 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’m in my early 30s. I’m married to an amazing woman who has blessed me with 3 amazing kids and we have our 4th on the way. I have a terminal degree and will make between $115k-135k this year (depending on my performance). We own a very comfortable home with about $90-100k in equity. We live in a great little town where quality of life is amazing and the cost of living is relatively low. Life is very, very good.

I’ve learned a tremendous amount about myself working for my employer over the past 4 years. I’m an idea guy and a prolific communicator. I’m constantly coming up with ideas and pushing on them. Luckily, I moved to a sales role about a year ago, and it’s been a lot of fun, a great outlet, and more money. And I’m good at selling our products and services, so there is a lot of job security in my current position.

I also have an entrepreneurial bend. And I’ve found that even in my new sales role, where I can apply my skills and my responsibilities align with my propensities, I am constantly day dreaming about start-up ideas, side-hustles, etc. I still have this nagging feeling that I’m not doing what I’m supposed to be doing. I think I’ve come to realize that I’m just not wired to work for someone else.

This is why I’m writing this post. Am I fucking crazy entertaining giving up the security and lifestyle we have just to assume a huge amount of risk and start all over from scratch?

My biggest obstacle is all/most of my ideas involve software. And I don’t know/probably won’t have time to learn to build software. So I would need to recruit/partner with some developers/engineers. And we have some savings, but not really a “rainy day fund” to live off for a year or so. I really believe I could do it, but it would be rough. I mean like might have to sell our house, our cars, all my rifles, etc rough.

Am I nuts? Anyone else go through this, give up a really comfortable life, and come out on top?
View Quote
I'm in the IT biz. You have to pay a lot of money to someone who is going to be the driver for IT development, like a CIO salary, and all the developers will get a pretty good salary because there would be no reason to quit a stable IT job to work for a non-stable start-up IT job that would pay less. It has to be totally awesome and be able to pay back all the developers and CIO with tons of cash to draw them in because you are probably going to pay them less than average salary before it launches.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Humblebrag thread 
View Quote
He said he was a prolific communicator.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The endeavor sounds valid, your timing sucks.  Sorry to say, you missed the boat.  You now have responsibilities which greatly outweigh your desire to be your own boss and become the next self-made millionaire.  If you raise the kids right they should be solidly on their own in about 20 years.  You can revisit the idea then.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have to ask if you are crazy, you are crazy.  I came here to say YES before I even read the post.

Try your startup as a side hustle if it takes off then run with it.

You can make things happen without killing your money maker IE your current job.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#14]
13er thread.

You have almost 4 kids.....you don't get to do what you want to do.  Remember they will pick  your nursing home.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#15]
If you were actually a prolific communicator you would know your audience.   

I suggest you may not be all that you think.  But it's an internet forum, I know all of a few paragraphs about you.  Good luck with your endeavors.  Maybe work your dream on the side so you don't give up whatever actual security you have built for your family?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dear Humblebrag,
Hire some overseas guys to do your software development. You would be unwise to leave your current position. The grass is not always greener, even though you may think it is. 
View Quote
Paki's over skype.  Use the boards to find some Paki developers and interview and hire them over skype and pay them as they produce using paypal.

They all speak english, it's really that simple.   Pennys on the dollar.

Make sure you don't give all the details to one person so you don't get your idea and work stolen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Try and make a go of it as a side-hustle.  If it pulls too much time from your family, you do not have the time to start your own business.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Hire a decent coder in the US under a confidentiality agreement.  Any idea sent overseas is going to get ripped off as other countries offer fuck-all for IP protections.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Go for it. You are a badass.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
so you have a PhD and you're only making in the low $100k? 
View Quote
Yes sir. I only work 40-45 hours a week and only have to travel once a month or so. I could move to a city/bigger metro and earn quite a bit more, but quality of life would suffer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Go for it. You are a badass.
View Quote
lol hardly
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm totally open to the possibility that I'm just being selfish/prideful in my thinking. Family does come first. But one could make the argument that this is in the interest of serving them. Seems like general consensus is that it would be wise to explore it on the side rather than dive head first.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Humblebrag thread 
View Quote
Being motivated is not a humblebrag thread. He is looking for perspective, because he knows he is too close to his own circumstances to be objective.

OP, I say given you don't have a dedicated fallback financial reserve, perhaps you should keep your ideas logged as you get them and work toward saving more to allow you to make this leap. Your family should know what you're thinking about as well, so that they don't ask for unnecessary frivolities in addition to the necessities.

Plan everything as you go, including how you intend to recruit a partner or two, and set a timeline of goals with target dates. Obviously, the planning would be your sideline for now. Research, research, research.

Get back with us when you've got a better feeling about your position. Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Besides the fact your plan will likely pull your family completely out of their comfort zone(selling house, cars, living very frugally), as an entrepreneur, you will likely be spending 18 hours or more a day, 7 days a week making this work.

The sacrifice will satisfy your itch, but at this point in your life you need to think of the family you decided to create.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I really think 99.9% of us operate at less then 10% of our potential. If you want more, its yours for the taking.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’m married 
View Quote

Yep. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Sidebiz but dont give up your day job. your wife and kids are depending on you
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#29]
seen it many times, OP will fuck up a good thing and loose it all
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
So having seen it many times, what did they do wrong? Aside from not trying anything, what would you have done differently?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#31]
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Sports car?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sports car?
View Quote
Nope. I drive an 08 Frontier. Wife and kids drive a 2013 Tahoe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Pics of wife ?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sports car?
Well then, maybe it's time for one?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#36]
If you need to ask GD to help you decide if you're crazy.... keep your day job.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I would be more likely to live extremely frugally, and bank/invest every penny I can since you have a decent salary, and plan for an early retirement.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Well you could go for it and become another American success story or you could think about what might have been.

Not that easy I know, but if you have some ideas I am a great sounding board to tell you if there is a market for said idea.
I am currently looking for a side hustle.

To show you that I am not about stealing your ideas here is a free one of mine .

Cars have parking lights on the left and right side of the car that don't do much but show you car is here.
Much like the rear high break light, I believe cars should have side break lights. This way when approaching an intersection you could tell if that driver on your right or left is breaking or not.
True you will not be able to tell if they are going to stop but at least you know they are on the break. Just that little bit of knowledge could have helped me avoid the 3 accidents I have been in.
In every case the driver failed too yield and ran a stop sign or read light or just pulled out in front of me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Yet another "I make over 100k" thread by some dude who can't find $24 for a team membership.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Have a very good friend who was in a similar situation about 2000.  Left his very secure job at a Fortune 25 company for a start up to chase the same type of dream you describe.  It did not work out for him.  The start up went bust and that led to a series of other jobs.  He's always made ends meet but it he'd be much better off had he stay put.  Would likely be able to retire now.
The biggest difference with his situation was that he was quite unhappy in his Fortune 25 job so he likely couldn't have rode it out that long
One thing to really keep in mind.  If your new venture doesn't succeed you may very well have difficulty returning to a situation as good as you have today.  I do hiring for my team in a Fortune 75 company.  If you are a middle age white male you are going to have a harder path back into the corporate world.  I recently received an email that stated that for our more advanced jobs that  HR would not even release a candidate pool until they had a diverse group of candidates.  In my last hire I had to fight hard to hire the much better qualified middle aged white male over the much less qualified diverse candidate.  Wish I was making this up as I feel like I'm living in Bizzaro World.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pics of wife ?
View Quote
Got her on steel at 1200 yards

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You have kids and a wife. Now is not a time to put it all on the line. Just my .2 cents.

Edit: Family first. You have responsibilities. If you didn't have kids I would say go for it.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yet another "I make over 100k" thread by some dude who can't find $24 for a team membership.
View Quote
Sorry my preferences don't perfectly align with yours. I'm just not a big gas gun guy. I prefer bolt guns. So I spend a limited amount of time on here. And I didn't even know there was a paid membership until recently.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Have a very good friend who was in a similar situation about 2000.  Left his very secure job at a Fortune 25 company for a start up to chase the same type of dream you describe.  It did not work out for him.  The start up went bust and that led to a series of other jobs.  He's always made ends meet but it he'd be much better off had he stay put.  Would likely be able to retire now.
The biggest difference with his situation was that he was quite unhappy in his Fortune 25 job so he likely couldn't have rode it out that long
One thing to really keep in mind.  If your new venture doesn't succeed you may very well have difficulty returning to a situation as good as you have today.  I do hiring for my team in a Fortune 75 company.  If you are a middle age white male you are going to have a harder path back into the corporate world.  I recently received an email that stated that for our more advanced jobs that  HR would not even release a candidate pool until they had a diverse group of candidates.  In my last hire I had to fight hard to hire the much better qualified middle aged white male over the much less qualified diverse candidate.  Wish I was making this up as I feel like I'm living in Bizzaro World.
View Quote
White male here. Hadn't thought about the diversity hurdle. Thanks for the perspective.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Talk to this guy . . .

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#46]
From a very young age I have known that I wanted to work for myself.  Started 7 businesses over the years and 6 failed.  When I got married I took a normal job because it provided security for me and my wife but hated every minute of it.  Went from low level IT to Systems admin in the course of a few short years and still hated it.

The last business that I started I did it part time and worked on it until it cost me money to go to work.  At that point I quit and have been full time for myself for a little over 3 years now.  I make 4-6x what I would have been making at my last job and if I sold the business today could "retire"

You never know until you do something.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I would be more likely to live extremely frugally, and bank/invest every penny I can since you have a decent salary, and plan for an early retirement.
View Quote
Great advice. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Cars have parking lights on the left and right side of the car that don't do much but show you car is here.
Much like the rear high break light, I believe cars should have side break lights. This way when approaching an intersection you could tell if that driver on your right or left is breaking or not.
True you will not be able to tell if they are going to stop but at least you know they are on the break. Just that little bit of knowledge could have helped me avoid the 3 accidents I have been in.
In every case the driver failed too yield and ran a stop sign or read light or just pulled out in front of me.
View Quote

FFS is you're going to implement this idea please learn how to spell BRAKE.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So having seen it many times, what did they do wrong? Aside from not trying anything, what would you have done differently?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they got greedy for more cash or gash

both scenarios ended in divorce
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

They called Bill Gates crazy!

Try it part time OP let it build up then go all in when you have it making money for you.

When you're rich, hire me!

Deal? Fuck yeah.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top