Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/25/2004 9:29:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 9:46:13 AM EST by ByteTheBullet]
Has anyone else seen this?

National Launch Set for PBC’s New Iron City Aluminum Bottles

Pittsburgh, PA (August 25, 2004) -- Pittsburgh, Pa. (August 24, 2004) -- Pittsburgh Brewing Co. once again is stepping up to the plate with innovations in the brewing industry. Starting this month, the company will launch within its national network the introduction of new aluminum bottles for PBC’s quality Iron City beer.

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. is the first regional brewery in the country to use the new aluminum bottles on such a large scale, says PBC Vice Chairman Joseph Piccirilli. The new 12-ounce bottles will be available at distributors across the country and in select bars and restaurants.

The aluminum bottle offers many pluses for the beer drinker, Piccirilli notes. “The product is unbreakable and the beer stays colder longer. The aluminum bottle has a greater chill retention than glass or can containers,” he says. “Another great feature is that this bottle retains the great taste of the beer.”

The packaging comes with a distinct “coolness” factor, says Ed Martin, of CCL Container in Hermitage, Pa. The company will make the bottles and ship them to PBC’s Lawrenceville plant. The bottles’ sleek silver-metallic look is something beer drinkers will like holding in their hands, he adds. In addition, the graphics will compliment the traditional red Iron City logo.

The bottles continue PBC’s innovative history with Alcoa, which will supply aluminum for the new product. Pittsburgh-based Alcoa already has forged firsts with PBC in the industry. In 1962, Alcoa developed the first snap-top can (also known at the time as “Easy-Open Snap Top”), and gave Pittsburgh Brewing an exclusive to use this new technology. Following its debut, snap-top cans changed the beverage industry. PBC also was the first brewery to use the twist-off cap on its products.

Kevin Lowery, of Alcoa, says the company once again is glad to be part of a new innovation at PBC. “We are glad to be involved in the new aluminum Iron City bottles. This is an exciting step not only for the aluminum industry, but also in packaging. Both Alcoa and PBC recognize the importance of being leaders in introducing such a unique product.”

Piccirilli notes the company has always been on the cutting edge of its industry, and the new aluminum bottles continue that proud history. “We are proud to once again be introducing an innovation in the beer industry. These new aluminum bottles not only make an attractive and unique package, they provide a way to keep our beer fresher and colder, longer. “

PBC products are available in more than 30 states, and the new aluminum bottles will be the first to receive distribution in that national network. “The time is right for Pittsburgh Brewing to take its great beers on a national scale, and this new bottle is a perfect way to do that,” Joe says. “After 143 years of history in Pittsburgh, we want the rest of the country to taste our award-winning products.”

The new aluminum bottles also are being launched as part of the local Save Our City campaign, which kicked off last week with 30 billboards throughout the region announcing “Save Our City.“ The next phase of this equally innovative and provocative campaign is set to start the week of September 13.

The new aluminum Iron City bottles will be available in specially designed 24-packs at distributors.

# # #

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:33:09 AM EST
iron city.....mmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:36:07 AM EST
Just exactly HOW can an aluminum beer can be referred to as a "bottle"?????

Even if it is shaped like a bottle, won't it still be a beer can?

Let's face it, how in the heck do they expect you to smash somebody up side the head with a beer can?

geeesh........

Mike
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:36:39 AM EST
Who gives a shit. Just another marketing ploy for the "I wanna be cool and IN" crowd. Like when that pisswater Corona became available in the U.S.

Never heard of the beer.

I'll stick with Bud Light in long neck GLASS BOTTLES, thank you very much.

That's enough "coolness factor" for me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:38:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 9:40:53 AM EST by Lazyshooter]
Are they in stores yet?
Can't wait to see the price.

I can see the bums with their shopping carts dumpster diving for the empties and taking them in for recycling now. They've got to weigh a bit more than the cans, so you don't have to pick up as many empties.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:38:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By gamesniper:

I'll stick with Bud Light in long RED neck GLASS BOTTLES, thank you very much.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:43:00 AM EST
Here's a pic...

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:44:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lazyshooter:

Can't wait to see the price.

I heard the price was only going to be $1.00 more per case for the new aluminum bottles.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:54:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:58:55 AM EST
Hmmmmm, looks like good targets to me!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:02:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 10:03:17 AM EST by gamesniper]
Shit, I don't really consider myself a redneck, but I take no offense if you think I am.

Some of the absolute finest, most honest and hard working people I have the PLEASURE AND HONOR to know are certified rednecks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:06:48 AM EST
Doesn't look like they would make very good Molotov cocktails though...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:14:10 AM EST
Who cares, it's shitty beer in a shitty can. Nothing to see here, folks...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:16:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:19:01 AM EST
If I recall aluminum tranfers heat faster thay most (any?) metal? how is this supposed to keep it cold?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:20:40 AM EST
Beer in a can tastes like ass no matter what the shape.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:26:28 AM EST
They already have "sports drinks" that use the same types of containers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:28:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By the_reject:
Who cares, it's shitty beer in a shitty can. Nothing to see here, folks...

Thanks for the input, no, really. I never said I drank this stuff.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:31:41 AM EST
I think the fuel injector cleaner that I use comes in a can like that. It probably tastes better than Iron City beer as well...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:31:41 AM EST
how are you supposed to throw beer bottles at road signs if they're aluminum?

too much wind drag
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:31:44 AM EST
Kinda hard to break them over a bar and use the jagged end as a weapon, though.

CW
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:33:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

too much wind drag

Same shape, but can you imagine the GONG!!!!

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:37:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:42:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By brasspile:

B) Didn't Keystone line their cans with plastic so it wouldn't get the "aluminum flavor"???

I'm sorry. You can't use the words "Keystone" and "flavor" in the same sentence unless they're separated by the phrase "piss-like".

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:45:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By brasspile:

too much wind drag

Actually the drag would be about the same. The problem is the extremely low Ballistic Coefficient due to the loss of weight, causing the projectile to slow down very rapidly and have an unstable flight path.

well, i just ASSUMED you'd know i meant too much wind drag for the decreased weight of the aluminum 'bottle'
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:11:43 AM EST
Can't say I've seen or tried and aluminum beer bottle, there's a fruit/energy drink kind of thing I pick up occasionally that come's in an aluminum bottle. I thought it was the strangest thing at first. I liked it though, it was very light after it was empty. While it had drink in it it did an excellent job of keeping the drink cold. It kept it cold much longer than a plastic or glass bottle would. The only disadvantage I could find was not being able to look at it and see how much is left in it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:21:56 AM EST
Are these "bottles" supposed to be reusable???
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:26:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By Cleatus:
If I recall aluminum tranfers heat faster thay most (any?) metal? how is this supposed to keep it cold?

Since I do heat transfer for a living (yeah, I have a boring life) I will chime in here...

Copper is a little beter conductor of heat than Aluminum. But not much. Steel is much slower. Maybe it is a double layered can, with air in between? (Kinda like a Keg or Keg can?)
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:40:15 AM EST
Ok but does anyone else see the irony in this.

IRON City beer.

ALUMINUM bottle.

Made in the STEEL city.

Thing that make you go hummm.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:45:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By jaqattack02:
The only disadvantage I could find was not being able to look at it and see how much is left in it.

Transparent Aluminum
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:38:38 PM EST

Iron city tastes so bad that you leave them full to give them the added mass needed to become adequate projectiles.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:47:44 PM EST
I think it's a great idea. Aluminum bottles are much more likely to end up being recycled than glass bottles.
Top Top