Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/1/2004 6:16:16 AM EST
Ok, folks now that we are mad about those companies who endorsed Kerry, lets do something about it. One alternative to Leatherman is Schrade at www.schradeknives.com(sorry I don't know how to hot link.) I put a little post about them in the original thread but have more info now. The Schrade company makes all thier knives/tools in N.Y. state, no outsourcing to foriegn companies They also SUPPORT THE N.R.A.!! Now what we as a commited group need to do is do some research and and buy THIER products instead of Leatherman. We also need to find alternatives to the other products AND send e-mails. I've already sent an e-mail to Leatherman and Cascade Designs saying that I will no longer support them with my money and will pass the word along to my sportsman friends. Who's with me?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:19:11 AM EST
Schrade is closing their doors [may have already], unfortunately.

I have the Schrade Tough Tool, and like it better than my Leatherman. I like the ergonomics, the downside is it is a bit larger.

I like the Gerber tools, and hear good stuff about the SOG but have not handled one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:24:01 AM EST
Gerber Multiplier.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:24:08 AM EST
Just when I had become convinced that I had been WRONG about Gerber vs. Leatherman all along...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:29:08 AM EST
I've been using the same multipliar for over 8 years now ad it's still going strong (less 1 screwdriver tip). I always knew there was a reason I didn't like leatherman.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:37:12 AM EST
Just called them , they aren't going out of business. In fact they are hiring!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:49:38 AM EST
I have a sog and love it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:56:12 AM EST
Wal-mart and Kmart have stuff like that but it's made in china.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:00:42 AM EST
Not a USA product , but I've been really impressed with the Victornox Swiss tools.

Or are we boycotting the Swiss too?

www.swissarmy.com
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:09:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:
Gerber Multiplier.

+1
Mine gets occasional use. Not as trim as a Leatherman, but definitely a solid tool.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:14:01 AM EST
Thanks for making this thread. I wanted to buy my brother one but now I need a good alternative.

I've used a Leatherman before but I haven't used any of the aformentionsed alternatives. Any suggestions for a good subsitute?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:17:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By coondog:

I blasted them an e-mail this morning. And was waiting for a reply. Thanks for answering that!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:18:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By coondog:

You're talking about Schrade, right? But according to the Wall Street Journal article, they've move a lot of their manufacturing capacity off-shores.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:34:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2004 3:36:23 PM EST by Henny]
I remember a few months ago a multi tool thread ran here in the GD. I voiced my opinion about the Leatherman Wave. At the time I loved the thing. Plus my son gave it to me for Christmas one year. I carry it every day on my duty belt.

The reason I didn't like the Gerbers is that when they first came out, when using the pliers, the handles would close and pinch your hands. Thanks to ARFCOM I was informed that Gerber has since changed their design and they no longer pinch your hands.

One day while at Wal Mart, shortly after reading the above mentioned thread, I saw the lady marking down prices on some of their knives. With the ARFCOM discussion in mind, I asked her if they had any Gerbers that they were marking down. Indeed she did. I picked up a 600 for $24!!!! That was cheap!!! Sure the box was all dinged up but it was in perfect shape.

After using the Gerber for a few months now, I like it more than the Leatherman. Hearing they support Kerry I most defiantly like the Gerber better!

However, since my son got me the Wave for a gift, I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to take it off my gun belt till I retire.

From here on out, it's Gerber for me. The Leatherman that I have I'll keep. I'll never get another one though!

To keep on topic, the Gerber 600 is a great alternative to the Leatherman.

Edited because I had a extra "the"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:40:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ridge:
Not a USA product , but I've been really impressed with the Victornox Swiss tools.

Or are we boycotting the Swiss too?

www.swissarmy.com

+1
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:52:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By rayra:

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:
Gerber Multiplier.

+1
Mine gets occasional use. Not as trim as a Leatherman, but definitely a solid tool.

I've always used Gerbers, the leathermans always cut into my hand when I tried to use the plyers and were otherwise ergonomically not right for me. I have a Gerber Legend 800 series now...it does me good. Parts are also replaceable and interchangeable in it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:06:32 PM EST
I have three Leatherdudes but I'll not by another. Guess it's Gerbers or SOG's from now on.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:53:15 PM EST
+1 Gerber they make great tools...
Top Top