Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/9/2020 10:52:23 PM EDT
In my assessment there is a high probability that the current "Virginia: There's Battle Lines Being Drawn" thread will get nuked, or locked on the 20th if not earlier for a number of reasons, leaving the participants in Richmond without coordination or updates. I realize there is a thread about radios for comms but I submit the vast majority of participants will arrive without radio capability. There is a cheaper, more effective way to enable instant updates and enable every participant to contribute and to be eyes/ears for the entire rally.

We cannot rely on the ARF forum for updates that we sorely need if it's one click away from being locked, leaving us stranded and blind. Don't tell me that has never happened before. I realize ARF is convenient but it can disappear in a nanosecond, especially if a legal "cease and desist" type letter arrives.

Install the Telegram messenger app on your mobile device.  Telegram runs on Android, iphones, windows devices, phones, tablets and PC's, it's platform-independent.  Go to Google Play Store or Apple App store. It looks like this:

Attachment Attached File

Takes about 5 minutes to install.

Secondly, make your phone number invisible to the outside world - follow this procedure.

Make your number invisible in telegram

Then, join the Rattlesnakerally group in Telegram.  To find it, start the Telegram app and select the search function:

Attachment Attached File

Type in the search term:  RattleSnakeRally

You will get two results, the first one, RattleSnakeRally, is a group that functions like a forum where all users can contribute to the discussion and post updates, maps, pics, even videos.
The second one, RattleSnakerallyChannel is a read-only community, a telegram channel. If not interested in posting, can select the channel. Users interested in contributing updates can post in the first group.

Attachment Attached File

I think this RattleSnakeRally telegram group can function as a very useful tool to augment the tools we have in place where any member of the rally can post updates and be eyes for the entire community. The other benefit is that it can't be easily turned off unlike a forum thread.
If you find this agreeable, please circulate this information.

Respectfully yours
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Your contact information is not visible to the other members, especially if you make the contact info invisible.

The group has a limit of 200,000 users. Telegram channels have no theoretical limit at all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It could be helpful if we have problems on arfcom although that is highly unlikely. It could come in particularly useful prior to the rally but probably not during the event itself just owing to the the cell network likely to be overloaded.

Thanks for setting that up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The Telegram app became very popular during Hong Kong protests as it's the only tool that can instantly reach out to 200,000 users and unlike forums, FoolBook or Twitter lacks politically correct administration to turn things off.

This is the tool we need

Telegram groups during Hong Kong protests
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Mobile devices will likely be inoperable.

Hasn't this been discussed......ad naseum?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol good job putting that out there on the free wide web
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It could be helpful if we have problems on arfcom although that is highly unlikely. It could come in particularly useful prior to the rally but probably not during the event itself just owing to the the cell network likely to be overloaded.

Thanks for setting that up.
View Quote
Not "if", but "when". All it takes is one person to violate COC, or for "something" to happen in Richmond to get the plug pulled on the forums faster than you can say nanosecond.  Or the DOJ (Feds) or the VSP lawyers to send a F*CK_YOU legal letter to the ARF  admins or their hosting company. It's just incredible the threads have lasted as long as they have. There are so many single points of failure with zero redundancy.

I have been here for a long time. I've seen a gazillion threads get locked and nuked, sometimes randomly.   It's already in the controversial zone, with many warnings.  It's just amazing nobody  plans for that contingency, we sorely need a backup so things can keep going and our comms don't became decapitated, leaderless and blind, turning us into a large crowd. You can't turn off Telegram.

Radios are a not a solution.  98% of the people there won't have one, either unable to afford one or are radio-illiterate.
Telegram is free and doesn't care about the range. I get it that cell networks can be deactivated but if you find a wifi hot spot.. or just move out of range, you are connected. It's a network that depends on everyone contributing.

If you see an event, take a pic. Post your comments on the RattleSnakeRally group and also post the map. You can do all that in under 20 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
seriously? In the *Entire* city?

You don't need 100% cell coverage. All you need is a hot spot. And if you are 30 minutes away from Richmond you can receive updates from those near Capital, or vice-versa, warning of checkpoints, arrests, etc. It's hard to take down the entire cellular grid. It's a useful tool under many circumstances. We can't rely on the forums.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Disregard the shit-talkers, this will be a valuable tool in the toolbox.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it would be a good idea to limit data use as much as possible to allow for those live-streaming.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Disregard the shit-talkers, this will be a valuable tool in the toolbox.
View Quote
Agreed. It’s always nice to have options.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Stolen from the cited article.

"While there is a common perception that Telegram is a secure messaging app, not all messages have more secure 'end-to-end' encryption by default. Only secret chats in Telegram have this encryption by default while group chat messages do not. That means that group communications on Telegram are less secure than secret chats."
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
practice posting, get the hang of it. It's like a text messenger except there are 50,000 recipients, with each one able to reply. You can create private chats between members, not just encrypted but with message self-destruct timers. You read it and it's gone in 30 seconds. It's peer-to-peer meaning no messages are stored on the servers.

I am kind of thinking worst-case scenario, gotta think 5 steps ahead like in a chess game. What if this and what if that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds good. Thanks for going through the trouble.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Telegram app became very popular during Hong Kong protests as it's the only tool that can instantly reach out to 200,000 users and unlike forums, FoolBook or Twitter lacks politically correct administration to turn things off.

This is the tool we need

Telegram groups during Hong Kong protests
View Quote
China has had a hell of a time dealing with these kind of apps.  While nothing will be a 100% secure, that alone should tell you what you need to know.  Bluetooth meshing works.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#15]
BTW, speaking of HK inspired ideas:

Wasn't there some type of phone app they used based on a Bluetooth(?) mesh, that DOESN'T rely on cellular service?

IIRC, it was something that used any other phone in range running the app, as a node, greatly extending the range. It could be (and was) used to send texts to another specific user (and although it uses the other phones to bounce/pass the signal forward, a p2p message is only readable by the recipient. There may have been a mass text option as well.

The 2 main advantages of it were that killing cell service in the AO didn't affect it. And apparently, unlike normal text messages etc. the Chi.gov couldn't use it against the users.

Anyone recall the details/specifics of this?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Stolen from the cited article.

"While there is a common perception that Telegram is a secure messaging app, not all messages have more secure 'end-to-end' encryption by default. Only secret chats in Telegram have this encryption by default while group chat messages do not. That means that group communications on Telegram are less secure than secret chats."
View Quote
Of course group messaging is not secure, it's not meant to be. It's like a radio channel, broadcasting to the entire world.

You can mesg a single person or the entire group.  A "Secret chat" has a timeout value you can set. 1  second, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day or 1 week. That's for the situations where discretion is needed.  I am just deeply concerned how we can communicate if the forum goes down. I don't have a radio, don't know anyone with a radio, it's a limited tool. A very limited number of recipients have it and a limited number of broadcasters. It can't send pics, nor maps. nor videos.

My vision is to arm everyone with the capability to do a SITREP instantly and anywhere.  Then you begin to harness the power of 15K or 50K or 100K or however many show up.  Report roadblocks, arrests, take pics, post them.  Whatever. Be creative.

Without comms we are _blind_ and  sorry, but the forum is just not a reliable or dependable source of intel as it can be nuked instantly worst-case and best case, is moderated to the point where I am not sure how much can be posted on it. ARF is a single point of failure.

Unless there are other forums involved I am not aware of but they too can be instantly locked/deleted/members banned.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

China has had a hell of a time dealing with these kind of apps.  While nothing will be a 100% secure, that alone should tell you what you need to know.  Bluetooth meshing works.
View Quote
Now there is a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wasn't there some type of phone app they used based on a Bluetooth(?) mesh, that DOESN'T rely on cellular service?

IIRC, it was something that used any other phone in range running the app, as a node, greatly extending the range. It could be (and was) used to send texts to another specific user (and although it uses the other phones to bounce/pass the signal forward, a p2p message is only readable by the recipient. There may have been a mass text option as well.

The 2 main advantages of it were that killing cell service in the AO didn't affect it. And apparently, unlike normal text messages etc. the Chi.gov couldn't use it against the users.

View Quote
Sounds like GoTennas. I picked up a pair after reading posts and watching videos about them posted in other threads. They come in pairs. $125 on Amazon.

Gotenna Mesh Review, The Future Of The Internet?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bridgefy is a bluetooth mesh app that allows p2p messages and public broadcasts. Gotenna has more range but requires extra hardware.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
well, we are not in China, not yet anyway.. and can they legally turn off *all* networks in the *entire* city? And it's not like we are going to hang out in the same square mile, you can transmit/receive valuable SIT-REPs (Situation Reports) the day before, or after, or a few miles away.

I get that coverage can be overloaded... but even then something will get through eventually. We are not transmitting 4K videos. (Although you can do that too if you want) but a few bytes of intel can be invaluable.

Every user who has a phone can install the Telegram messenger and is turned into a reporter and can provide a valuable service to the community.

I've looked into every messenger, telegram is the only one that has a high or no limit of users in a group/channel. 200,000 and I doubt we will hit that number. Telegram channels are designed for millions and have no limit at all, so if you don't want to write anything, just subscribe to the channel in read-only mode (RattlesnakeRallyChannel).
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#21]
@txjim42

This is the thread you seek.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sounds like GoTennas. I picked up a pair after reading posts and watching videos about them posted in other threads. They come in pairs. $125 on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIe0fma7wo
View Quote
this is cool
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIe0fma7wo
View Quote
If it's possible to create one big gotenna net, that'd really be what you guys in VA need.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bridgefy is a bluetooth mesh app that allows p2p messages and public broadcasts. Gotenna has more range but requires extra hardware.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to look into Bridgefy.

The Gotenna Mesh is good for what it is, but the article I read, mentioned that this was something that uses smartphones Bluetooth to create the mesh which worked great in HK due to the density of the crowd.

IIRC, the article mentioned some success sending texts to recipients clear across the island because there were enough phones running the app to bounce the message through. Should've bookmarked the article, 'cuz I can't remember where I read it, or the details/name of the app.

Could be ideal in this case. Doesn't potentially take up bandwidth which folks may be using for livestreaming. Doesn't require purchasing additional hardware like the Gotenna. Cell service going down won't affect it. With the number of people there in a smallish area, range shouldn't be an issue, as with the protestors in HK, if there are a large enough number running it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I have found you can either be a mesh node or be in text mode. Not both simultaneously though.

Disregard, this is incorrect.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Post something how to install it/use it in conjunction with Telegram. I get it but it's nice to go over things steps by step.

We *need* this tool, i.e. Telegram, with group messaging, so anyone reach 50K users with a single click, especially in these dire circumstances. Just think before you post, it's not a message to a single person but a massive twit-like post except there is no size limit.

I haven't figured out yet if there is a way to timeout the group posts, appears the timeout feature (message self-destruct timer) exists only in Private Chats, correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If it's possible to create one big gotenna net, that'd really be what you guys in VA need.
View Quote
sounds like another good idea.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:13:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Thank you the link @70satvert and ad_nauseam for doing this.  I think this is important to this keep bumped so folks are aware of this.

I wouldn't put it past some tyrants to pressure LEA's, site owners, and/or to make false claims to disrupt organizational efforts/comms here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thank you @70satvert.  I think this is important to this keep bumped so folks are aware of this.

I wouldn't put it past some tyrants to pressure LEA's, site owners, and/or to make false claims to disrupt organizational efforts/comms here.
View Quote
Absolutely. We need fall back points.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Bridgefy doesn't have good reviews.  Gotenna, while costs, seems to work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thank you @70satvert.  I think this is important to this keep bumped so folks are aware of this.

View Quote
Not just intentional actions.

In the longer, fast moving thread, folks have already mentioned not being able to send/receive text messages in large, crowded places like concerts and packed sporting events, simply from the nearby cell service being overloaded. People could definitely have similar issues here, depending on how many people end up in downtown Richmond on the 20th.

Alternative comms are important, and why I'm thinking more along the lines of options that don't rely on cellular service. The Gotenna is definitely an option, but very likely one that won't be terribly widespread.

An app that can simply be downloaded, turning the phone into a transceiver/node that's independent of cellular service could be a really powerful solution.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:28:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think it would be a good idea to limit data use as much as possible to allow for those live-streaming.
View Quote
Interesting point you make.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again.

I searched "Hong Kong protesters Bluetooth app", and it looks like it IS Bridgefy that they're using.

Has encrypted user-to-user mode, as well as unencrypted broadcast that will go to every Bridgefy app it can reach.

Works well for the HK protests with a high density of users. Doesn't have anywhere near the range of a Gotenna (Bluetooth = ~300 ft, vs Gotenna's 1 - 1.5 miles LoS), but could be ideal for the Rally with enough users.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thank you the link @70satvert and ad_nauseam for doing this.  I think this is important to this keep bumped so folks are aware of this.

View Quote
that is another valid point
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Absolutely. We need fall back points.
View Quote
I think someone will get the forum locked up, some "agent", post some nonsense, the admin will overeact.. maybe.

would not surprise me at all.

it's a high-profile situation, very visible.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bridgefy doesn't have good reviews.  Gotenna, while costs, seems to work.
View Quote
does anyone have a Gotenna they can bring?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In the longer, fast moving thread, folks have already mentioned not being able to send/receive text messages in large, crowded places like concerts and packed sporting events, simply from the nearby cell service being overloaded. People could definitely have similar issues here, depending on how many people end up in downtown Richmond on the 20th.

Alternative comms are important, and why I'm thinking more along the lines of options that don't rely on cellular service. The Gotenna is definitely an option, but very likely one that won't be terribly widespread.

An app that can simply be downloaded, turning the phone into a transceiver/node that's independent of cellular service could be a really powerful solution.
View Quote
please post a review of what's best/optimum for us. Telegram is not end-all but it just one tool in the arsenal. we can't rely on the forum alone, or on radios.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:54:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
There will be dozens at a minimum.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lol good job putting that out there on the free wide web
View Quote
Yeah, he should have telepathically beamed it using magic to only the friendly people's brains; what a dumbass putting it all out in the open like that
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:57:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks again.

I searched "Hong Kong protesters Bluetooth app", and it looks like it IS Bridgefy that they're using.

Has encrypted user-to-user mode, as well as unencrypted broadcast that will go to every Bridgefy app it can reach.

Works well for the HK protests with a high density of users. Doesn't have anywhere near the range of a Gotenna (Bluetooth = ~300 ft, vs Gotenna's 1 - 1.5 miles LoS), but could be ideal for the Rally with enough users.
View Quote
this is valuable info.
I will experiment with it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:07:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
please post a review of what's best/optimum for us. Telegram is not end-all but it just one tool in the arsenal. we can't rely on the forum alone, or on radios.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I don't know what's 'best'. I'm just reviewing different options and their pros and cons.

The experiences that folks have already encountered with cellular service in crowds leaves me looking for alternatives.

If the Gotenna was more common, it would appear to be a solid option, but I don't think it's very widespread amongst our folks (although a few more have bought them since they were mentioned in the main thread).

Baofengs seem like 1 avenue, as it seems like quite a lot of arfcommers have them, but one thing they all probably have are cellphones. Being able to use them for mass comms broadcasts and encrypted private comms, completely independent of relying on cellular service seems like a great idea.

There are definitely a few interesting things to learn from the protesters in Hong Kong (comms, defeating facial recognition etc.).
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Exactly...
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:24:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The downside of the Gotenna is that it only works between Gotenna users/owners, i.e. only the few dozen people bringing Gotennas will be able to communicate with each other.

The much better range means it could be an ideal comms options for organizers/leaders.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#44]
makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have found you can either be a mesh node or be in text mode. Not both simultaneously though.
View Quote
For the goTenna units, they can be set up to either be a simple relay node (no texting to or from, just relay) or regular mode.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#48]
If anyone is going to have a HF portable would you post a 20 and 40 meter freq, I would like to try and keep up on your progress.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#49]
There was a supposedly really good mesh networking app for phones that used the wifi as a mesh network. Evidently it got borked up somehow and so people that have downloaded it recently (like me) can't get it to work. That would have been ideal.

I've also downloaded Signal as it is another end-to-end encrypted app for texting, voice, and video. The text part can be used with the goTenna unit. The goTenna units don't have the bandwidth to support voice or video. The cell network on game day probably won't either. It appears there will be 100-200 goTenna units there. Hopefully we can distribute those around enough to get coverage of the whole rally area. Obviously, the goTenna mesh approach is only going to be good for a mile or two around the rally center. There are ways to send texts to everyone within range but it takes a lot of the available bandwidth so it's important to only use that when needed. As we get closer to game day, we'll probably set up a burner with a goTenna unit, and post the random ID somewhere so that if you needed to send a secure text to ops, you'll know what address to send it to.

There's a tradeoff between getting information out to the widest number of "our people" while limiting the ability of our adversaries to clog up the works. I guess we'll see how well we did on the 20th.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gotenna mesh is the key.

Off grid, secure, encrypted, and each device acts as a repeater. You can also be anonymous.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top